Idea for future TOCs...

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Idea for future TOCs...

Post by BobF »

The finals round was just too long, I didn't like the format at all. Here is what I would suggest, but first a bit of my reasoning.

One thing that did make this tournament a bit exciting was some of the strategic wagering. That being said...

At the end of each game in the finals, scores are added up. Winner is the first person to accumulate $100,000 in total winnings with a tiebreaker being actual dollar amount if more than one person eclipses $100k on the same show. Thoughts?
Last edited by BobF on Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Re: Idea for future TOCs...

Post by cf1140 »

I like the "no wildcards" change. It makes the earlier games more exciting. I'm not a fan of the drawn out final nor the byes. I'm not sure how you can handle a "no wildcards" tournament without byes; it would be too large of a field.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Why did they even change the format? I preferred the old way.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

They should partner with Taco Bell and if one of the players does a true DD and gets it right then everybody should win a free taco through the app.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I like the new format. I figure the ToC, and especially the ToC finals, are the most exciting Jeopardy! games, so why not give us more of them?
BobF

Post by BobF »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:51 pm I like the new format. I figure the ToC, and especially the ToC finals, are the most exciting Jeopardy! games, so why not give us more of them?
In general, or because there were so many super champs this time?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BobF wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:23 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:51 pm I like the new format. I figure the ToC, and especially the ToC finals, are the most exciting Jeopardy! games, so why not give us more of them?
In general, or because there were so many super champs this time?
In general.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Not a fan of the new format, either - I had no issue with the old way, but maybe TPTB can find a happy medium between the two. And I personally don't think anyone should get a bye, even though I can see why those three were chosen. But who would get the byes in a field with no "standouts?"
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

gamawire wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:56 am Not a fan of the new format, either - I had no issue with the old way, but maybe TPTB can find a happy medium between the two. And I personally don't think anyone should get a bye, even though I can see why those three were chosen. But who would get the byes in a field with no "standouts?"
Yes, I think that's a good point.
goongas

Post by goongas »

They needed the byes to get a format where they could invite all the four day champs. I think if they had a win two games instead of three, you win. Davies doesn’t like the two game total point affair because usually after the first game it is apparent who is going to win.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Wasn’t it mentioned in a Jeopardy podcast and notated in that thread that the format for upcoming ToC’s will vary depending on qualifiers?
goongas

Post by goongas »

Golf wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:47 pm Wasn’t it mentioned in a Jeopardy podcast and notated in that thread that the format for upcoming ToC’s will vary depending on qualifiers?
Yes, they said they are not necessarily going to keep this format going forward.
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

I enjoyed the TOC. I'm open to them playing with other formats but I really hope they do not involvve wild cards or two-game total point finals. I much formats that encourage winning games. In typical Jeopardary torunaments, the only game a player needs to win is their semi-final game and that feels wrong.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

1. I liked the format for the finals, but I like the two-game total point affair as well. Either way is fine with me.

2. I missed having wildcards, but I think it worked ok without so I could get used to that aspect.

3. Not a fan of the byes. Lose that aspect.

4. Hated the exhibition game. Never do that again.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

goongas wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:14 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:47 pm Wasn’t it mentioned in a Jeopardy podcast and notated in that thread that the format for upcoming ToC’s will vary depending on qualifiers?
Yes, they said they are not necessarily going to keep this format going forward.
The way they did it this year, including the SCT, seemed a direct result of having -101- games tied up between three people this go. And 117 between four.

(Philosophically, limiting the SCT to that crowd of 202/234 would be ideal, and maybe take some heat off of it, but I don't know the metrics or availability in play so maybe they tried that and it didn't work out.)

I wouldn't complain if they went to a first to two final next time though. TOC boards hurt my brain. And wreck my FJ get rate.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:08 pm 1. I liked the format for the finals, but I like the two-game total point affair as well. Either way is fine with me.

2. I missed having wildcards, but I think it worked ok without so I could get used to that aspect.

3. Not a fan of the byes. Lose that aspect.

4. Hated the exhibition game. Never do that again.
I don't think you can lose the wildcards without having byes...

But to echo my previous post I wouldn't worry about future byes unless we get another trio oligopolizing 100+ games all on their own during a ToC window.
Though if there -were- three that racked 20+ wins each...I wouldn't object to a repeat of this format.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
yclept

Post by yclept »

I assume that the tournament field will be fluid from this point forward. I would think the original idea was for one second chance tournament - until they realized they needed two if they wanted to include all 4-time winners. I can certainly see a situation where if there is only 15 qualified players that they revert to the old format but with the same format for the finals. Essentially, this format is the one that worked best with 21 players. Future tournaments could have more, could have less. If they don’t want to dip into the 3-time champ pool (unless it is a special circumstance like Emma), they will always need to be creative with it.

So I think the byes could be here to stay if needed. Could be that only one champion gets one if that is what the format dictates.

As long as the tournament itself gives everyone a fair shake to take home the title, I don’t really care how they format it, but I loved this TOC personally.
BobF

Post by BobF »

goongas wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:50 am Davies doesn’t like the two game total point affair because usually after the first game it is apparent who is going to win.
Which lends itself to another suggestion I made months ago. Day one: two single J! rounds, Day two: two DJ! rounds.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

BobF wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:54 am
goongas wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:50 am Davies doesn’t like the two game total point affair because usually after the first game it is apparent who is going to win.
Which lends itself to another suggestion I made months ago. Day one: two single J! rounds, Day two: two DJ! rounds.
That's an interesting idea... it would result in less money being able to be "locked in" (and therefore more money riskable, and loseable, in a wager) in the second game. Would probably require some play-testing.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

goongas wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:50 am They needed the byes to get a format where they could invite all the four day champs. I think if they had a win two games instead of three, you win. Davies doesn’t like the two game total point affair because usually after the first game it is apparent who is going to win.
But how many times did we hear Alex say at the beginning of the second day that it's a two-day affair, and the person who was well ahead didn't always win? (Answer: A lot.)

If current trends persist, future tournaments are going to be only superchamps. I know they won't, but I'd like them to bring back a limit.