Monday, November 28, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RetiredDoc
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, November 28, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by RetiredDoc »

Sarah, Plain and Tall, was my answer for this FJ, never would have gotten the last name.
I knew this mainly from seeing the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie (remember those?) back in the day. It starred not only Glenn Close but also Christopher Walken.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $35,600

46 R (2 DDs), 3 W (Didn't think of Canis Major in time)

FJ: :mrgreen:

LT: The Green Mile

Categories Swept: NOVEL NOTES, SLANG, ABBREV. TV, AROUND THE GLOBE
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RetiredDoc wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:26 pm Sarah, Plain and Tall, was my answer for this FJ, never would have gotten the last name.
I knew this mainly from seeing the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie (remember those?) back in the day. It starred not only Glenn Close but also Christopher Walken.
That's how I've heard of it. I had no idea it was a children's book. That seemed exceptionally difficult to me.

I knew Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote the books about Anne Shirley, so that couldn't be right. I said Madeline just to have something, but I was actually thinking of Eloise.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

I didn't realize the TV movie was so long ago, but I would have got Monday's FJ clue right if it had mentioned Glenn Close.

(Poll request for the 2nd part)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It took me a bit to figure out the character moved from the East to the prairie so Anne never occurred to me.

I did think of Sarah but I have no idea what the book is about so I went with Rebecca. No idea what she did but I do know she lived on Sunnybrook Farm so she was a better guess than Anne.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:59 pm The FJ! clue had me needing almost all the time as the author's name meant nothing to me. I had to read the clue twice to understand I needed a character and that the path of the character was the opposite of the author.
My exact experience yesterday!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:27 pm It took me a bit to figure out the character moved from the East to the prairie so Anne never occurred to me.

I did think of Sarah but I have no idea what the book is about so I went with Rebecca. No idea what she did but I do know she lived on Sunnybrook Farm so she was a better guess than Anne.
Just looked it up and Rebecca lived in Maine.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Despite not being able to finish with a chance to win in FJ, one has to assume that Xanni will be given a second chance next season.

It seemed doubtful that a DD would be in the TV Shows category - one way to beat Chris is by finding those DD, even if you need to bet very small in a category you don’t like.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Guessed Sarah, Plain and Tall. Didn't know her last name. Was aware of the book first and then the movie when it came out. Never read the book or saw the movie. I have read Anne of Green Gables so I knew the author was L. M. Montgomery and I knew the character started in PEI and stayed there. It's a surprising coincidence that three contestants made the same wrong guess (give or take an e, which Anne thought was important, but the judges probably wouldn't unless they were in a Berry Gordy mood). But I don't think that makes this clue a bad one. There's nothing negbaity about Anne of GG for this clue. She just happened to be a name the contestants knew without knowing enough to rule her out and the seconds were ticking away and nothing better was coming to mind. Kudos to all three for writing something instead of nothing. I don't think Anne will poll higher than the correct response, but I've been surprised on these predictions before.