Jeopardy Masters Tournament announced

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

leszekp
Valued Contributor

Jeopardy Masters Tournament announced

Post by leszekp »

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Jeopardy Masters Tournament announced

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I wonder if it has already been taped.
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So we have five people who were just in the last TOC plus James. Not quite grasping the reason for this.
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:27 pm So we have five people who were just in the last TOC plus James. Not quite grasping the reason for this.
Ratings.
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:15 pm I wonder if it has already been taped.
Doubtful.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The ToC gave us a pretty good idea of what to expect from the recent 5. Throwing James into the mix is an interesting kicker and I can't wait to see what he does to those of the recency factor.

I want to see tougher material than a ToC, a blistering pace and DD fireworks.

Just six is not what I expected, but after the ToC it's probably for the best that Ryan Long is back home rooting for his Eagles.

I figured the news was coming soon the way Michael was both excited and coy on the podcast.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'll pass. Don't need yet another tournament with the same people.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I don’t really understand why there’s no Brad Rutter, Sam Kavanaugh, Buzzy Cohen, Alex Jacob, Matt Jackson, Roger Craig etc...

Maybe they’ll add more later. I look forward to more Jeopardy whatever it is.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
OrchidEntity
Contributor

Post by OrchidEntity »

Just six champions? It seems weird to me that they wouldn't have three other long runners between James' run and the last TOC.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:59 pm I don’t really understand why there’s no Brad Rutter, Sam Kavanaugh, Buzzy Cohen, Alex Jacob, Matt Jackson, Roger Craig etc...
I think those of us who are pre-2010 or so should resign ourselves to not being invited to these things, no matter how deserving we might be. The cutoff might even be more recent than that.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I can't get enthusiastic about this. They're pushing into overexposure territory.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Michael Davies is private equity swooping in to extract the maximum immediate value of a product. If nothing of long term value is left behind, oh well.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:39 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:59 pm I don’t really understand why there’s no Brad Rutter, Sam Kavanaugh, Buzzy Cohen, Alex Jacob, Matt Jackson, Roger Craig etc...
I think those of us who are pre-2010 or so should resign ourselves to not being invited to these things, no matter how deserving we might be. The cutoff might even be more recent than that.
Probably.

If they are serious about turning it into a sport then they should get the best competitors to play and they should provide a path to eligibility for all past contestants so they can compete if they’re good enough. I’m not sure how they can accomplish that.

To their credit, they’re doing a lot of things to move in the direction of a sport. They’re showing player stats which helps the viewers make comparisons, they’re standardizing the tournament of champions and second chance tournament to have a playoff system, and it looks like they’re actively inviting the best players in the world to compete.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:17 pm Michael Davies is private equity swooping in to extract the maximum immediate value of a product. If nothing of long term value is left behind, oh well.
I would say there could be value in Jeopardy branching out if they reached different audiences on different platforms. Say there was a kids jeopardy on Nickelodeon, Rock N Roll Jeopardy on MTV (that network is known for music right?), Sports Jeopardy on ESPN, etc. This could work assuming of course you had the resources like enough writers to generate all the material without a dropoff in quality. Non-syndicated products also allow the possibility of online viewing. People who missed GOAT or Celebrity Jeopardy on ABC can watch these episodes on Hulu, and likely anything on another platform would have similar streaming capabilities which can help pad viewer numbers. This would be much different from airing 27 different wacky formats of WWTBAM all in primetime on ABC.

But of course we don't actually have any of that yet, so far we just have the GOAT, the College Tournament, Celebrities, and now "Masters", all in primetime on ABC so there definitely is the risk of overexposure considering the show is still running 5 nights in syndication as well. If they keep this to no more than one night a week, it could still be manageable. say celebs in the fall, masters in the winter, teen or college or professors in the spring or something like that. If they made Sunday night the permanent home it would make a lot of sense as the weekend is when people aren't already watching the syndicated half-hour. I see no reason why you couldnt' have Jeopardy on ABC year-round but there definitely could be a case of limited returns.

People turned out in droves to watch Holzhauer vs Jennings and Rutter in the GOAT, will they come out again to watch Holzhauer vs Schneider, Amodio, et al? We shall see.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:27 pm So we have five people who were just in the last TOC plus James. Not quite grasping the reason for this.
Ditto. You might as well just narrow it to Amy + James, no?

Throw in leszekp as the third player. I heard he's decent.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:59 pm I can't get enthusiastic about this. They're pushing into overexposure territory.
yeah, I'll watch, but I'm not excited. Didn't I just see this tournament? This kind of feels like an attempt to "even up" the hosts. Ken hosted the big guns for a tournament, now Mayim needs to host the big guns for a tournament.

Edit: Now I see that although this is prime time, Ken is hosting.
Last edited by TheTabbyWhisperer on Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I am surprised Brad is not involved. This is the first major tournament he has not been invited to. I think they should have invited more people to qualify, even if it was off camera.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

If you look at the ratings, it's clear that Amy is a draw, so they're looking for any reason to bring her back.

Feel bad for Sam Kavanaugh.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Wish they could have invited more from earlier seasons. Too many recent ones. I’ll definitely be rooting for James. Would have like to have seen Arthur Chu and Julia Collins.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

kingskip wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:05 pm Wish they could have invited more from earlier seasons. Too many recent ones. I’ll definitely be rooting for James. Would have like to have seen Arthur Chu and Julia Collins.
The other Masters would love to see Julia as well.