Jeopardy Masters Tournament announced

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Re: Jeopardy Masters Tournament announced

Post by cf1140 »

Is this going to follow the All-stars format?

Two games. one eliminated.

Three wildcards faceoff. Winner Take all.

Two original game winners plus wildcard winner. Winner take all.
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:00 pm Triple Jeopardy!?
From the ABC press release, it sounds like each episode will contain two games—which seems to imply that each episode will have all six players playing; three in the first half, three in the second.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:17 pm Michael Davies is private equity swooping in to extract the maximum immediate value of a product. If nothing of long term value is left behind, oh well.
Yep, he did the same thing with WWTBAM. Killed the golden goose well before it's time.

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:34 pm You might as well just narrow it to Amy + James, no?
Unless Amy becomes proficient in Jeopardy optimal strategy, James will make a small snack out of her and everybody else.

And speaking of James, during the GOAT tournament, Alex specifically said this is the last time we'll be seeing these three contestants playing Jeopardy. That didn't age well.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:05 pm And speaking of James, during the GOAT tournament, Alex specifically said this is the last time we'll be seeing these three contestants playing Jeopardy. That didn't age well.
Interesting point.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Meh. I'll record it and maybe get around to it during the summer hiatus. Feel free to post spoilers regarding finalists and the winner in the meantime. Just don't spoil the clues. I'm not invested in the players in this scenario, just the trivia.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's becoming an annuity for their Favored Few.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I will watch any Jeopardy competition that doesn’t involve celebrities.

I wish there was more variety in this tournament as it is essentially the three most recent finalists + the other two big champions + James. Sam K would have been a nice addition certainly. See if Brad wants to play again.

Essentially, you can easily turn this into a 15-person competition with ease.
brick

Post by brick »

leszekp
Valued Contributor

Post by leszekp »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:34 pm
Ditto. You might as well just narrow it to Amy + James, no?

Throw in leszekp as the third player. I heard he's decent.
Thanks :) . No shortage of "decent" players that could have been invited. From recent players, there's Sam Kavanaugh and Brad Rutter (BotD winner). From older players there's Frank Spangenberg, Jerome Vered, Chuck Forrest, Bob Blake, Bob Verini. And those are highly-abridged lists.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

If it didn't happen on TV recently, it didn't happen. Damar Hamlin's cardiac arrest generated huge media attention and donations. Peyton Hillis nearly drowned saving his kids' lives, and got out of the hospital around the same time as Hamlin. Not a total rando, by the way - he was on the cover of the Madden NFL game.

But he's been retired for a few years, and his tragedy didn't happen on live TV.

Sorry boomers! You should have been on Jeopardy in 2022, not 1998. We've forgotten about you.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

goongas wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:37 pm I am surprised Brad is not involved. This is the first major tournament he has not been invited to. I think they should have invited more people to qualify, even if it was off camera.
I'm not, only because this seems like it's more a "battle of the most recent superchamps" tournament than anything else.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

Austin Powers wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:16 pm Sorry boomers! You should have been on Jeopardy in 2022, not 1998. We've forgotten about you.
Some of us forgotten ones are not boomers.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

I'm of the opinion that Joon Pahk could skin them all. I'd give him a real shot even against James Holzhauer.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

KenJenningsFan74 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:18 pm I'm of the opinion that Joon Pahk could skin them all. I'd give him a real shot even against James Holzhauer.
You may be right. And that of course brings Roger Craig into the discussion.
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:05 pm And speaking of James, during the GOAT tournament, Alex specifically said this is the last time we'll be seeing these three contestants playing Jeopardy. That didn't age well.
That was believed to be true at the time the statement was made, Things changed.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:06 pm
KenJenningsFan74 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:18 pm I'm of the opinion that Joon Pahk could skin them all. I'd give him a real shot even against James Holzhauer.
I was thinking along the same lines. It was Joon Pahk's showing against Roger Craig in the 2011 Tournament of Champions semifinals that made me think of him. I still consider Roger Craig the third-greatest player ever, just a squeak ahead of Mr. Holzhauer.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

KenJenningsFan74 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:33 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:06 pm
I was thinking along the same lines. It was Joon Pahk's showing against Roger Craig in the 2011 Tournament of Champions semifinals that made me think of him. I still consider Roger Craig the third-greatest player ever, just a squeak ahead of Mr. Holzhauer.
Joon is certainly a very strong player, as is also Roger. As was shown in the All-Star tournament, Roger’s strengths (depth of knowledge, aggressive wagering) are mostly nullified when placed in the company of other strong players. Based on what I’ve seen, in addition to Brad, Ken and James, I’d put Alex Jacob, Matt Jackson and Larissa Kelly in that same echelon.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Woof wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:33 pm
Joon is certainly a very strong player, as is also Roger. As was shown in the All-Star tournament, Roger’s strengths (depth of knowledge, aggressive wagering) are mostly nullified when placed in the company of other strong players. Based on what I’ve seen, in addition to Brad, Ken and James, I’d put Alex Jacob, Matt Jackson and Larissa Kelly in that same echelon.
I agree with most all of that. My only pushback would be about Roger Craig in the All-Star games. His performance in the Battle of the Decades showed that his advantages were not neutralized against the elite tier of players. I tend to write off his All-Star struggles as a result of not being able to gain momentum over the course of a full game.
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:32 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:27 pm So we have five people who were just in the last TOC plus James. Not quite grasping the reason for this.
Ratings.
However, I'm not sure 10 hour-long episodes featuring the same 6 players over and over is going to be the ratings bonanza they might think. I'm prepared to be wrong.