Celebrity Jeopardy! Thursday, January 12, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Celebrity Jeopardy! Thursday, January 12, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Celebrity Jeopardy! Thursday, January 12, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Re: Celebrity Jeopardy! Thursday, January 12, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

TJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box Score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CORPORATE MASCOTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Born on an island in a sea of milk, this pitchman was jokingly disavowed by the U.S. Navy by saying he is not in personnel records

Patton Oswalt 47200+7200=54400 (Semi-Finalist)
Candace Parker 2200-240=1960
Torrey DeVitto 5200-2000=3200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Cap'n Crunch (Candace - no response) (Torrey - I have no clue?)

Daily Doubles
Patton 3800+800
Patton 14300+4300
Patton 18600+8600
Patton 31800+10000
Torrey 2000+500
Candace 1600+600

Coryats
Patton: 26,300
Candace: 2,800
Torrey: 5,600

Combined: 34,700

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Patton: 4700
Candace: minus 200
Torrey: minus 1000

Scores at the end of the Double Jeopardy! Round
Patton: 28200
Candace: minus 200
Torrey: minus 400
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have watched King of Queens some so I know who Patton is and spending several years in Knoxville made me a fan of Pat Summit and the Lady Vols so I am aware of Candace. Never heard of Torrey to make me 8/24 for the tournament.

Patton steamrolled the competition but had some odd misses so I might not make him a favorite in the next SF.

I don’t know if she even still had a mathematical chance at the time, but Torrey only betting 500/2000 on DD5 was lame.

If you don’t like players bouncing around the board this game was for you.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Caught the tail end of the game. I really liked that FJ! clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Patton ran GLOOMY AUTHORS along the way with running over his opponents. There was a "MIS"INFORMATION category and tonight was a mismatch. In two weeks Patton will have a more difficult draw no matter who wins next week.

Mattea was the guest reader for a TJ! category and I'm enjoying the J! alums even if the celebs sometimes leave them for last.

Did I solve the FJ! clue? I would hope so even though I have not eaten a version of the cereal since last year. You can guess the month:
Spoiler

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:36 pm Patton steamrolled the competition but had some odd misses so I might not make him a favorite in the next SF.
This. The game went pretty much the way I expected because I knew Oswalt was fairly bright. So the only surprise was the number of TS's I would've expected him to pick up and he didn't: Salvation Army, Justin Trudeau, Rhode Island as the two-word state east of Connecticut, lionfish (when catfish and tigerfish have been ruled out), Idaho, the Green Party, MIT = Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Los Angeles area university with a bear mascot, "baked earth" pottery = terra cotta. Lot of low hanging fruit there, and that's just the first two rounds. (Third one is awaiting entry by our beloved archivists.)

I knew Patton Oswalt from The United States of Tara as well as the narrator of The Goldbergs, though I forgot that latter one, so I'm glad they brought it up. I vaguely knew he was on King of Queens as a recurring character. And he's always a fun guest when he shows up to talk to Conan or one of the Jimmies.

Tastes vary regarding the banter and clowning around. I enjoyed what we had here and wouldn't have minded a little more. Mayim did a good job. I like the one-hour format for Celebrity J! and moving it to a prime-time slot so it doesn't interrupt the regular show.
MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Post by MtlMike »

To the archivist of this game: for TJ!4 the clue has "wiii.I.am" instead of "will.i.am".

When I tried to suggest a correction on the j-archive website, it came back with the strange error: "Your submission tastes like yummy spam. Thanks and happy spamming!"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Thank you, fixed.

The OCR doesn't like lowercase text in clues so much because it was trained on uppercase.

Not sure what word may have been triggering the spam filter.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:31 pm Not sure what word may have been triggering the spam filter.
I bet it was being tripped because the system thought "will.i.am" could be a URL.