Monday, January 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Spum
Contributor

Re: Monday, January 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Spum »

AntmanB wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:48 pm i got a FJ triple Stumper. wow.
Same. Not the first time though. Feels great, doesn’t it?
DCFan1911
Contributor

Post by DCFan1911 »

DBear wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:47 pm Poorly-pinned FJ! IMO. Contestants are going to think of general objects & not a specific brand, as Katie showed.
Puzzled at the fellas looking at the financial sector. :?
Knew cars were around, so I guessed airplanes. :(
Yeah their responses relating to government/treasury bonds were a little surprising, since those don't really fit the category. Those are financial instruments used by the government, I don't think they would be considered business milestones.

For Model T, you had to kind of think of the time frame and then think of what item we'd think of as costing in the range of $27,000 today. Once you get there, the Model T makes the most logical sense.
DCFan1911
Contributor

Post by DCFan1911 »

Spum wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:03 pm
Ditto. My wife and I both got this one quickly...felt like a partial redemption since the J/DJ rounds were unusually rough for me.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $38,200
51 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: sad state of affairs, Indiana

As soon as Katie moved from the science category to the dog stories and opened the door for Yogesh to get DD1, I figured he had the game in the bag. (I had to pause the episode halfway through to play a trivia game via Zoom that included Yogesh, and I said as much to him. :oops: ) Good for Katie for staying with him stride for stride. Given that she was essentially putting the game on the line with her DD3 wager, I would have liked to see a TDD there, but I know that's a hard decision to make in the moment.

I agree that FJ! was vague. Vague enough, in fact, to make two of the three contestants give responses that didn't fit the category. I don't know if I would have gotten to the correct response were it not for "1908 = Model T" being lodged somewhere in my brain.

I hope the new champ does great things, but I gotta admit I'm sad that this result deprives us of what might have been the most titanic showdown in televised quiz history, as four-time LearnedLeague champion Schliemann takes the stage Thursday.
mahatma wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:19 pm Should 2nd place have bet $0, assuming he didn’t love the category?
FWIW, $999 is exactly what the Wagering Calculator suggests. There was no way (that I can see) to predict Katie's wager.
Sprinkles are for winners.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

1908??? I said Rolex

“Bonds. Treasury bonds.” I’ll see myself out
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

danspartan wrote:
mahatma wrote: Should 2nd place have bet $0, assuming he didn’t love the category?
Yes. I’m also not sure why Katie bet enough to drop below Yogesh if he wagered 0. They both had a strategy, but I don’t think either was optimal for that choice.
But if he has a little faith in himself, 12,399 defeats a sneaky wager from Katie. Where is all that bravado from the previous interview segments?
I wonder if Katie witnessed Morbeeto's game. I was going to comment that Yogesh's final wager in that game revealed that he might be likely to bet Venusian in a similar future situation, and sure enough...... I think he would have wagered 1801 if 3rd place wasn't a factor.
If Katie did base her wager on Yogesh's previous FJ, good on her. But I suspect it may have been just a random underwager. It was such a 'Price Is Right' tidy looking number. She should have stayed above Yogesh betting zero, as you said. Maybe her wagering strategy isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Instaget Final.
Last edited by Category 13 on Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Not sure why there would be any criticism of Yogesh's wager. He bet as much as he could without letting Jimmy back in the game. Seemed like the right move to me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:08 pm Not sure why there would be any criticism of Yogesh's wager. He bet as much as he could without letting Jimmy back in the game. Seemed like the right move to me.
He bet exactly what I expected him to bet. Her bet is the one I don’t understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed the Bottom Two In Major League Baseball and a couple of clues in Singer Who Played.
DD: 3/3
Douglas Squasoni
OrchidEntity
Contributor

Post by OrchidEntity »

I couldn't think of anything better than "cars" for the FJ, though I should have taken "at a price equivalent to about $27,000 today" as the indication that they wanted a specific automobile. Kind of interesting that both guys came up with bond-related responses. Also, Jimmy has majestic hair (and was a solid competitor).

Katie's winning reaction was great. I don't know if she realized she won until Ken explicitly said it, and I wonder if he will point out at the start of the next game that Katie is the first female champion in over 50 regular play games.

Yogesh's post-game demeanor seemed like one of understandable disappointment to me, and losing such a close game after winning three other non-runaways...it's tough. At least he got to do a True Daily Double in this game.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Congratulations to Katie. I was disappointed when she didn't go Daily Double hunting but then I was buoyed when she made that big wager in the law category. I was thinking when she hit it that she was comfortable in the category plus she was spotted the first letter of the answer.

I agree that Final Jeopardy needed an additional TOM. I knew 1908 was too late for the generic answer of cars. That said, I would have guessed Model T and hoped it would be correct. I knew that government bonds was wrong.

I suspect we've seen the last of the old champ since his three wins will probably not get him into the tournament of champions.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:36 pm Yogesh was 8/9 on wagering clues and that one miss was enough to unseat him. Four games in and he was still was all over the place with the buzzer timing.

Like winning from the middle, it's been very rare this season for a woman to win in regular play. Congrats to Katie for having the lead for the FJ! round and being the closest to solving the triple stumper.

The FJ! clue stumped me and I wrote Coca Cola shares to have something on my paper.

Yogesh has great numbers on LL, but his next to worst category? BUSINESS & ECON. He needs someone to go on a long run to chew up games and with the now annual gap for ToCs to have a chance to make it back in the fall. I'm not buying for a second the jazz about having to have four wins to make a ToC.
Second win for a woman this season in 65 regular-season games. Of 130 challengers, 68 have been women (if I have miscounted someone, it is not intentional).

The betting was gutsy, but understandable from each podium. Yogesh potentially gains from locking out Jimmy, so there's a sweet spot in staying above his total if he bets that and misses. Katie traded one potential outcome in Yogesh being aggressive for wins in two other potential outcomes (Jimmy with a sole get, betting aggressively, and the triple miss).

Instaget for me because the price was included. Making cars affordable for what served as the middle class was the reason the Model T was so famous and did so well. It was either that or a random then-luxury appliance, and that didn't seem in the spirit of the category. And yes, "originally from" Michigan helped somewhat. We got more than our share of Ford in school, and not because of his despicable antisemitism.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got Model T pretty much right away.

That wasn't how I expected the game to turn out. I wish Katie had bet less than $800, just because I don't like that Yogesh could have saved himself the game with a $0 bet, and I'm sad on his behalf over it. (Since Opus brought up my fifth game, it's similar to how I would have felt if that game had ended with Emily getting FJ right and me knowing I could have won with a different wager.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was thinking financial at first, too, but then the Model T dawned on me at maybe the 20 second mark. The $27,000 equivalent was the thing that pointed me in the right direction. It had to have been something substantial.

The price of the Model T actually decreased throughout its production run as the assembly process became more efficient. The initial price was $825, but it was down to $260 by 1925!

Nice job by all three players tonight.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $40,400

46 R (2 DDs), 4 W. An awful J! round was somehow followed up by a near perfect DJ! round, not knowing only LAW and SINGER both for $1,200.

LT: Indiana

Categories Swept: SMALL TOWN, ROYAL HISTORY, TATTOOS, SHORT A
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

can we have a poll for who knew the Model T came out that year?
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

DCFan1911 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:22 pm
Spum wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:03 pm
Ditto. My wife and I both got this one quickly...felt like a partial redemption since the J/DJ rounds were unusually rough for me.
+1, and nailed all three DD's, too... Can't remember the last time I did that...

I, too, thought about business-venture type things for a bit, but couldn't think of anything that wouldn't be just plain vague... Then I jumped over to the Tin Lizzie, partly thinking that 27k is a fairly entry-level price to buy a car these days (obviously not rock-bottom, but fairly close), and then remembering the T came out in 1908 (or so), that's where my tired ol' brain landed.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Anachronism wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:39 am The betting was gutsy, but understandable from each podium. Yogesh potentially gains from locking out Jimmy, so there's a sweet spot in staying above his total if he bets that and misses. Katie traded one potential outcome in Yogesh being aggressive for wins in two other potential outcomes (Jimmy with a sole get, betting aggressively, and the triple miss).
Sort of. It was perfectly reasonable for Katie to go Venusian with her wager, but she should have wagered $0-800 rather than $2500. Assuming Yogesh wagers as he did, a $0 wager makes FJ! moot. A $2500 wager opens Katie up to losing the game if she is wrong and Yogesh is right.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I can understand calling the clue vague, but it was pinned. Another instant here with just enough to put it together. But I can certainly understand if it didn't click for someone (as shown by the TS).
da Doctah
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by da Doctah »

DBear wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:47 pm Poorly-pinned FJ! IMO. Contestants are going to think of general objects & not a specific brand, as Katie showed.
I started out with Katie's response when the clue was revealed, then switched to the specific model before the timer ran out. Held onto the insufficiently specific guess longer than necessary because I was thinking that while cars were around before 1908, maybe they weren't available for purchase by the general public before that year.