Monday, January 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Monday, January 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by squarekara »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:45 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:04 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:04 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:53 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:43 pm So switch out appetizer?
I tried to make a meal around Indian flatbread, but it was a naan starter
My attempt at Indian sourdough fell flat. It was a naan starter.
(🎙️Is this thing on?)
Ooh, ooh:
I tried to make a joke about Indian flatbread, but it was a naan starter :lol:
Wait--don't forget the rimshot! Pa-Pa-Dum.
www.instantrimshot.com
https://images.app.goo.gl/CwzEhF7foC7iFpSc6
da Doctah
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by da Doctah »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:19 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:02 pm
da Doctah wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:37 pm Two early clues in Monday's game touched on jokes I've posted in multiple places on the internet:

"My cat's name is Nature; she abhors the vacuum." and "I tried to develop an appetizer using Indian flatbread, but that was a naan starter."
Wouldn't it work better as "I developed an appetizer using Indian flatbread. It's a naan starter.?
But then the setup doesn't adequately convey the sense of failure needed to give the punchline meaning.
Exactly. And for those who trying to make it about sourdough, I don't tend to think of naan as leavened.

Now back to watching for a reference to another of my homemade puns: "I'm writing a book about Jason from the Friday the 13th movies, and how he's not really a bad guy at all. I'm calling it Voorhees: A Jolly Good Fellow."
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

da Doctah wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:48 pm Jason from the Friday the 13th movies, and how he's not really a bad guy at all.
Pamela Voorhees: Can confirm.
Alice Hardy et al.: Can deny.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

da Doctah wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:48 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:19 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:02 pm
da Doctah wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:37 pm Two early clues in Monday's game touched on jokes I've posted in multiple places on the internet:
"My cat's name is Nature; she abhors the vacuum." and "I tried to develop an appetizer using Indian flatbread, but that was a naan starter."
Wouldn't it work better as "I developed an appetizer using Indian flatbread. It's a naan starter.?
But then the setup doesn't adequately convey the sense of failure needed to give the punchline meaning.
Exactly. And for those who trying to make it about sourdough, I don't tend to think of naan as leavened.
Believe it or not, naan is a yeast bread. Even injera uses yeast. (I've been trying to go gluten-free, but I love bread too much.)
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:09 pm
Believe it or not, naan is a yeast bread. Even injera uses yeast. (I've been trying to go gluten-free, but I love bread too much.)
I've had to go gluten free since 2020; I think covid likely triggered celiac in me. I miss naan, and all other breads really.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:33 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:09 pm
I've had to go gluten free since 2020; I think covid likely triggered celiac in me. I miss naan, and all other breads really.
Trader Joe's has an almond flour/tapioca starch tortilla that's pretty good toasted over the stovetop flame.
(Damn you, COVID!)
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

Catching up yesterday and today from the last two weeks…

On FJ, I remembered the category name, went from “item went on sale in 1908” directly to Model T, the price today looked about right, wrote it down…done. I was shocked it was a triple stumper.

(edited to delete personal opinions that I probably should have kept to myself)
Last edited by cthulhu on Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I tend to keep it to myself when a contestant rubs me the wrong way. I'd hate to find myself in that position, thinking I'm an ok guy but somehow I come off as... whatever and the internet turns against me. There've been a few contestants that just made me grind my teeth and I was relieved to see the back of them. On at least two occasions it's been a contestant who seemed popular with this board. But maybe others felt the same way I did and were also keeping their mouths shut. There have probably been other contestants where I really liked them and said so while other boardies were suffering in silence. Seems like a good thing all around. Let the contestants have their day in the sun, and let them bask in the appreciation of those who appreciate them.

At home on the couch Mrs Penguin and I express our likes and dislikes frankly to each other. That's just between us. When I'm typing words that are being broadcast to the entire world and might survive until the heat death of the universe, I try to practice some moderation.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

On LL he has a link to his blog. I looked at it and he had copied and pasted a screenshot from the discussion of giving the proper name of the Statue of Liberty.