Tuesday, January 17, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Tuesday, January 17, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of the mnemonic or the thing with the chef and it took me a bit to figure out what they were answering. But once I got they were going for states along the Mississippi I was home free. Being from that area of the country helped some.

I wish Keith still did his daily videos to see his reactions to her two wagers. And there’s nothing defensible about her FJ wager yesterday.
DCFan1911
Contributor

Post by DCFan1911 »

DBear wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:09 pm trash: balloon, Ian,
C++, bay DD, Constantine DD 8-)

people actually need a mnemonic?
Oh, of course--they're northeasterners, what am I saying? :twisted:

Honestly, this would be suited for a teen tournament :mrgreen:
Yes I was surprised it was a TS, my sixth grade geography teacher taught us this mnemonic!

I also got the LT on C++ since the computer math/science course I took in high school used that language. If I'd taken it a few years earlier we'd have used Pascal and it's likely I would have blanked on that clue!
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

Count me in on the shock at the TS. One of the rare ones where my wife and I both looked over at each other within seconds of the clue and agreed to give our answers. I wouldn't be surprised if it polls more than 90% correct. You're spotted the L and unless you think the elf has knees and Alabama has traded places with Mississippi, you're not going to stumble on this one. We've never heard of MIMAL, either.

After quite a nice run of really good games, this just wasn't.

First time we haven't had all 60 clues since October 10 (70 games).

First time we have had a clue with two correct answers (polymer being ruled acceptable) since September 19 (and second of the season).
goongas

Post by goongas »

This Northeasterner forgot about Arkansas, even though I watched an interview with the new governor the other day.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

what! wow!
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Anachronism wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:51 pm First time we haven't had all 60 clues since October 10 (70 games).
69 competitive games (44 regular play, 10 Second Chance, 15 Tournament of Champions). The "Great Exhibition" on November 8 had four $400 clues in Double Jeopardy! not revealed.
RetiredDoc
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RetiredDoc »

I have never ever heard of this mnemonic, and my first thought was Louisiana and Alabama, but thought “wait, that makes no sense”, and then came up with Arkansas and Louisiana.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

Grew up near the Mississippi (and currently live elsewhere) in the "I", but had not heard MIMAL before.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I also never heard of that mnemonic or the chef thing, but the sequence MN, IA, MO pointed me to the correct answer. It didn’t hurt, I’m sure, that at a pub quiz last week I had to come up with the 11 states that the Ohio River flows through or past on its way to the Gulf of Mexico.
Spoiler
PA, WV, OH, KY, IN, IL, MO, TN, AR, MS, LA
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $40,200
47 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: balloon, C++, bay (DD), Constantine the Great (DD)

I've never heard of MIMAL, but I have seen the meme Opus posted.

Credit to Katie for making an aggressive wager on DD3. She was up $600 with $3200 left on the board, so $5 and $2601+ were the only acceptable options. Many players would just wager the value of the clue in that situation. That FJ! wager, though...

TIL that dandruff is caused by a yeast. TIAL that Dubai is twice as big as Abu Dhabi.

I talked myself out of the Chrysler Building and into the Empire State Building on DD1. Each is an art deco skyscraper that was built in two years' time, but the former was completed in 1930, while construction on the latter began in that year. Unless you know the respective designers or heights, it's pretty tough to differentiate between the two.
AntmanB wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:06 pm i actually thought i was wrong but i couldnt think of any other States that Start with L
There's a reason for that.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Yesterday I lamented that Katie's FJ wager, while small, left a chance for second place to win. She made up for that today with a wager that guaranteed second place wouldn't win!

I've seen the chef silhouette on the internet before, but MIMAL was new to me. I needed the letters to figure out the chef's remaining components, and I had to explicitly eliminate Alabama in my mind.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

AntmanB wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:06 pm i got a Final jeopardy Triple Stumper 2 days in a row...................wow

i actually thought i was wrong but i couldnt think of any other States that Start with L
+1... and for the second day in a row, I scored on all three DD's.

I think there's something wrong with me... Doing all 3 plus a TS FJ twice in a row, I'm fairly certain I've never done that.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:

I talked myself out of the Chrysler Building and into the Empire Stis ate Building on DD1. Each is an art deco skyscraper that was built in two years' time, but the former was completed in 1930, while construction on the latter began in that year.

True, but art deco is Pavlov for the Chrysler in a way it just isn't for the ESB.

So how does one remember "mimal"? Is it somehow catchy or meaningful in a way I don't grasp?
I'm smart and I want respect.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

mfc248 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:39 pm
Anachronism wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:51 pm First time we haven't had all 60 clues since October 10 (70 games).
69 competitive games (44 regular play, 10 Second Chance, 15 Tournament of Champions). The "Great Exhibition" on November 8 had four $400 clues in Double Jeopardy! not revealed.
I have the same count. Just that 70 included this game. I didn't add the exhibition game because two of the three contestants were using the opportunity to work on buzzer timing or something else rather than trying to win. Naturally, that and the extra patter slowed things down considerably.

I was hoping the decision had been made just to include all 60 clues no matter what. Now I'll have to hate the Targaryen categories all over again ("Hi, this is blah, blah from blah, blah, mother of dragons, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, breaker of chains, protector of the Seven Kingdoms, and here is the clue...")

Throwing in another stat from the game - Stephanie's five buzz-ins ties for fourth lowest of the season (the 21 attempts ties for sixth lowest). I think if you do get the invite, the lesson is that you should trust yourself to try more (you passed the test, trust yourself). How to do that without embarrassing misses I don't know. Maybe just accept that you'll draw a blank occasionally and that's OK. The average winner has 43 attempts this season. Second place finishers average 37 and third place finishers average 34 attempts.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:40 am Yesterday I lamented that Katie's FJ wager, while small, left a chance for second place to win. She made up for that today with a wager that guaranteed second place wouldn't win!
:lol:
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:40 am I've seen the chef silhouette on the internet before, but MIMAL was new to me. I needed the letters to figure out the chef's remaining components, and I had to explicitly eliminate Alabama in my mind.
Might be an interesting poll question with, I'd bet, a very high check rate. Something like "I thought of Alabama and explicitly ruled it out for Tuesday's FJ".
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category: META-JEOPARDY!
Clue: Today's game revealed that these two things are caused by yeast
Correct Response
What are dandruff and Marmite?
Golf

Post by Golf »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:37 am I talked myself out of the Chrysler Building and into the Empire State Building on DD1. Each is an art deco skyscraper that was built in two years' time, but the former was completed in 1930, while construction on the latter began in that year. Unless you know the respective designers or heights, it's pretty tough to differentiate between the two.
A trivia teammate once taught me that the Empire State Building opened 5/1/31, it's catchy. Sometime later I learned the Chrysler Building opened in 1930. Pairing info this way makes it simple to recall.

But the art deco term is the key. When asked for an art deco building in NYC just pavlov Chrysler Building. Yes, the Empire State Building is art deco as well but trivia questions just don't seem to use that as a descriptor near as often.

Once in Buzztime trivia a clue asked for an art deco building in NYC, no other relevant info. Both the Chrysler and Empire State buildings were choices. But knowing the above, we confidently went with Chrysler Building and were rewarded. And this was just after my girlfriend at the time and I had visited both.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:52 am So how does one remember "mimal"? Is it somehow catchy or meaningful in a way I don't grasp?
I had the same question. It's hardly a mnemonic in the true sense, since it doesn't pin to anything memorable.

The chef picture that circulated online seemed to be the only inspiration for the clue.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

nserven wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:33 pm The chef picture that circulated online seemed to be the only inspiration for the clue.
I remember learning the concept of the man (sans pan and chicken) as a way to place those states in social studies class in the early '80s, though not the initialism, so there might be more background to the clue than a relatively recent meme.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

nserven wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:33 pm
Lefty wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:52 am So how does one remember "mimal"? Is it somehow catchy or meaningful in a way I don't grasp?
I had the same question. It's hardly a mnemonic in the true sense, since it doesn't pin to anything memorable.
Most (all) of us will remember the mnemonic as the states bordering the Mississippi without the mangled graphic. I don't tend to think of initialisms as real mnemonics but realize that they can be just as legit as forgettable phrases. The treble staff has both: the spaces are FACE, the lines are Every Good Boy Does Fine (and other variants). I learned about Roy G Biv just a few years back from the show and the boardie discussions. The phrase I learned/used was very vulgar, but effective.

I will ask my retired 6th grade teacher friend* if she if familiar with this. It must just work in an exact niche when kids are struggling to learn state names and placements. I remember that kids had trouble with the "square" states, and forget about the northeast state salad with their names in balloons off the map.
Without looking right now, I think Vermont is left of New Hampshire with 60/40 confidence. Al/MS were also a coin toss for a long time.
Spoiler
got VT/NH right, but I actually temporarily had MS/AL backward but would have got right looking at a map because, well, the river... is M, I, crooked letter, crooked letter....
No disrespect intended from this flyover hell-hole state ;).

The worst thing about a child remembering MIMAL to help them is the 8 states that start with "M", and the three "I" states that are in the same chunk of country (aka, the real Midwest). There must be a very narrow window of knowledge where this is helpful.

*eta - friend. My 6th grade teacher is probably expired or about 110 years old.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.