Wednesday, January 18, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 18, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Wednesday, January 18, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EARLY AMERICAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1692 Increase Mather wrote, "It were better that ten suspected" these "escape, than that one innocent person… be condemned"

Vince Bacani: 15599+5402=21001
Erin Portman: 21000+10201=31201 (New Champ)
Alec Wang: minus 2000

Correct response:
Spoiler
witches

Daily Doubles
Erin: 3600+3600
Vince: 4600-4600
Vince: 6400+6399

Coryats
Vince: 15400
Erin: 18400
Alec: minus 2000

Combined: 31,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Vince: 3800
Erin: 9400
Alec: 4000
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If someone passes along Ken's Taylor Swift comments to her, I'm sure she could help out.

Nice comeback by Vince to have the lead prior to the reveal of Erin's FJ! wager.

The FJ! was a complete fail by me as I wrote "9 guilty". It seems so silly to miss it with Mather and 1692 in the wording. :oops:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Starting archiving now, so it won't be done until after 12 Pacific.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Kind of a thrill to see my wife's name in the first clue in this game, even if it is referring to the more famous person with the same name.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Couldn't get Best Years of Our Lives.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:12 pm If someone passes along Ken's Taylor Swift comments to her, I'm sure she could help out.

Nice comeback by Vince to have the lead prior to the reveal of Erin's FJ! wager.

The FJ! was a complete fail by me as I wrote "9 guilty". It seems so silly to miss it with Mather and 1692 in the wording. :oops:
I also said guilty, thinking that was the origin of the phrase. Did consider witches.

Thanks for including Vince’s liquor comment in the archive. It deserves posterity.

So Kennedy gets a BMS for a 47 year Senator even though his brothers didn’t even live 47 years.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: leprosy, CSA,
Carboniferous DD, Poland, Danube, Governor Moonbeam,

logically guessed murderers for FJ!
I forgot that these aren't the most logical people. :twisted:

plenty of snark bait in the clues today.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

The Texas/Confederacy clue is actually technically incorrect. it was asking in what order the SIX flags flew, technically the Confederacy was the last to fly for the first time. its misleading more than wrong at least. and they all got it wrong so it didnt matter anyway.

Swept Songs of the 2010s.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Have seen a few programs recently involving the witch scares of the late 1600’s, so give me 1692, and a Boston Puritan minister and this is an instaget.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:13 pm So Kennedy gets a BMS for a 47 year Senator even though his brothers didn’t even live 47 years.
And Rockefeller too. Gonna be a shocker if they start making up for lost time on those...

Heh. "Le Monde"...and I just watched a brief clip about tips determining masculine and feminine words in French, with a terminal 'e' statistically being feminine. Stupid gendered words...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

AntmanB wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:31 pm The Texas/Confederacy clue is actually technically incorrect. it was asking in what order the SIX flags flew, technically the Confederacy was the last to fly for the first time. its misleading more than wrong at least. and they all got it wrong so it didnt matter anyway.
Technically they only say "entities that controlled Texas". The CSA flag would have been the 5th to fly for the last time

The Texas State History Museum in Austin doesn't fly them in any chronological order
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Six_ ... _Texas.jpg
(namely, the CSA is between Mexico and Texas)

And the Texas State Library and Archives has the CSA fifth and USA sixth (but Spain first, then France, Mexico and Texas, bucking the 'last flight' order)
https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/sixflags.html
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:41 pm The Texas State History Museum in Austin doesn't fly them in any chronological order
You could reasonably argue that as the Texas flag is still in use today as the state flag, if the US flag is after the Confederate, the Texas flag should be as well.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:13 pm So Kennedy gets a BMS for a 47 year Senator even though his brothers didn’t even live 47 years.
I guess there's also Senator John Kennedy of Louisiana, although he's only been in the Senate since 2017. I think the BMS is fair. There have been a lot of political Kennedys!
Volante

Post by Volante »

Plactus wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:59 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:41 pm The Texas State History Museum in Austin doesn't fly them in any chronological order
You could reasonably argue that as the Texas flag is still in use today as the state flag, if the US flag is after the Confederate, the Texas flag should be as well.
After you mentioned it, I suspected a flag code thing might be in play and it looks like thats the case: that particular photo appears to be from the front door side. From the street, it would put the US flag on the left, then Texas, then etc., which would be proper order for Texas:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2801505 ... 384!8i8192

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... m#3100.051
Sec. 3100.055. DISPLAY ON FLAGPOLE OR FLAGSTAFF WITH FLAG OF UNITED STATES.
(b) If the state flag and the flag of the United States are displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs at the same location:
...(3) the flag of the United States should be, from the perspective of an observer, to the left of the state flag;
Sec. 3100.057. DISPLAY ON FLAGPOLE OR FLAGSTAFF WITH FLAGS OF OTHER STATES, OTHER NATIONS, OR INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS. (a) If the state flag is displayed with the flag of another state of the United States, of a nation other than the United States, or of an international organization, the state flag:
(1) should be, from the perspective of an observer, to the left of the other flag on a separate flagpole or flagstaff;
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:42 pm https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... m#3100.051
Sec. 3100.055. DISPLAY ON FLAGPOLE OR FLAGSTAFF WITH FLAG OF UNITED STATES.
(b) If the state flag and the flag of the United States are displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs at the same location:
...(3) the flag of the United States should be, from the perspective of an observer, to the left of the state flag;
Sec. 3100.057. DISPLAY ON FLAGPOLE OR FLAGSTAFF WITH FLAGS OF OTHER STATES, OTHER NATIONS, OR INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS. (a) If the state flag is displayed with the flag of another state of the United States, of a nation other than the United States, or of an international organization, the state flag:
(1) should be, from the perspective of an observer, to the left of the other flag on a separate flagpole or flagstaff;
I guess they're really banking on that "observer" always being in the same location. Seems a bit odd to me.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

My initial thought for FJ was criminals or murderers, but that seemed too generic, then 1692 and Increase Mather hit me, and led me to witches

Nice comeback by Vince to get within striking distance