Thursday, January 19, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: Thursday, January 19, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by boson »

Congrats Schliemann! I first joined the Sony jboard in 2008, and Troy was there winning trivia quizzes and working hard to get on J! and win. 15 years later, 4 LLRC victories, countless other quiz accolades, and he finally got his chance... and it was really close. Way closer than I would have predicted with most opponents. I think that just makes it better. Well done to all 3 contestants!
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

WTG Schliebert! Hoping if enough of us old-timers resurface we can get you to rear your head as well.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

I am glad I failed to register the name of the contestants upon introduction. I forgot that Troy would debut as a challenger Kraken today. Now I'm not so sad to see the schoolteacher lose, especially since she had a decent payday as a 1 day champ. Too bad she lost the way she did, just one buzzer win from having enough grubstake to justify the suicide wager she made just because.

I expect some dominance for a few games now that Troy has dodged the X-factor. Troy is 512/527 (.972 QPct) on World History, his strongest category in Learned League. And whiffs. Just wow. The table is set for 30 in a row now :lol:.

This was an awesome FJ clue. A head slapper if you don't connect the dots to the unlucky wives contracting sudden death syndrome at the beheading venue, and I assume a burial place nearby. I've been to the Tower of London, but I try not to waste brain cells on things like British Royalty. The Crown Jewels are cool 8-). I don't recall a cemetery or gravesites/tombs connected to venue, but that isn't my jam anyway. I guessed Westminster Abbey, because at least there are dead people there.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

To me it was Thomas More who made the clue snap into place, rather than the unnamed queens...A man who died in disgrace and punishment...hey, just like some queens...surely not buried in a place of honor...
I may have to try to read Wolf Hall again...
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:29 pm I don't recall a cemetery or gravesites/tombs connected to venue,
They're in the chapel on-site. I went to the Tower twice, once with a group of students and once with just my wife when she came. I didn't go to the chapel with the students, but did with my wife. It's not in one of the main buildings; you have to make a little effort to go see it.

Tried to put a picture up, but it wouldn't work. Oh well. Feel free to add me on fb if you have it and it's on there.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:46 pm To me it was Thomas More who made the clue snap into place, rather than the unnamed queens...A man who died in disgrace and punishment...hey, just like some queens...surely not buried in a place of honor...
I may have to try to read Wolf Hall again...
I focused more on More being Catholic unfortunately. I assumed without thinking too hard that this was true of the three queens. So I thought maybe Westminster Cathedral (not Abbey), but it felt like that wasn't a famous enough landmark. (It also wasn't completed until 1903, but I didn't know that.) Ended up saying St. Paul's in desperation. When Mrs P said the Tower of London I knew she was right. So much for my streak.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I presume there will be an "I have visited the Tower" choice on the poll; given the beefeater clue on the other episode tonight, I'd also like to see "I visited the Tower and got a tour from a beefeater".
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

Whew - a nailbiter at the end. Congrats Schliemann!!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:50 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:46 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:41 pm Canterbury.
That was my response too. Given another minute or two to think about it, I probably would've understood the significance behind "three 16th century English queens".
coin flip between Westminster & Canterbury. Reread the clue, & picked up on the queens. :mrgreen:
most are probably thinking queens regnant instead of queens consort.
And there's well more than 3 queens consort in Westminster Abbey...(and only slightly more than 3 queens regnant)
Something I probably should've thought

And I figured More was reburied at some point, like Richard III

Overthinking for the lose!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Coincidence tonight, I watched this episode on DVR immediately after getting home from a production of “Six.”

Congrats Schliemann
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Troy plays the kid, the other two contestants are represented by Laurence Fishburne.

Heck, for all I know chess is where Troy got his handle here.
Last edited by Golf on Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was thinking Balmoral, but I knew the throne got Scot-ified in the 17th century, and I didn't give enough thought to who the three queens could be. (Only two queens that didn't have "consort" in their titles were allowed to reign in the 16th century.)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Poll request for Dionne.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:41 pm I am snakebit on FJ! clues this week and wrote Canterbury. :oops:
That was my precall and I figured I might as well stick with it. Probably would have said Westminster if I hadn't, so wrong either way. Funny thing is I put the book Wolf Hall in my library queue last year after reading about Hillary Mantel's death and just started it about two days ago. I'll bet if I was further into it I would have gotten this FJ since Henry VIII and Thomas More are both characters in the book.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

By the way, I think Ken made a rare pronunciation mistake tonight. I thought I heard him pronounce the knot "bowline" like it's spelled rather than the correct "bow-lin" with a schwa in the second syllable.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:49 pm Funny thing is I put the book Wolf Hall in my library queue last year after reading about Hillary Mantel's death and just started it about two days ago. I'll bet if I was further into it I would have gotten this FJ since Henry VIII and Thomas More are both characters in the book.
Thing is, More doesn't die - and presumably get buried - for 2 more volumes... ;)
Last edited by davey on Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Westminster Abbey was my first thought for FJ, but quickly realized that Thomas More would not have been buried there, and then got Tower of London
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:52 pm By the way, I think Ken made a rare pronunciation mistake tonight. I thought I heard him pronounce the knot "bowline" like it's spelled rather than the correct "bow-lin" with a schwa in the second syllable.
Does this mean Ken was never a Boy Scout? He gets my forgiveness, since this is the first I'm learning of this particular pronunciation myself. I never got beyond Cub... :)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

When Troy hit the $2,000 Daily Double in state capitals I was egging him on tdd! tdd! Because really, what are they going to ask about state capitals that I don't know?

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:52 pm By the way, I think Ken made a rare pronunciation mistake tonight. I thought I heard him pronounce the knot "bowline" like it's spelled rather than the correct "bow-lin" with a schwa in the second syllable.
Is that kind of pronunciation standard your wheelhouse or your forecastle?

There once was a fellow named Morkassel
Who spent too much time in the forecastle
Aw... forget it
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:28 am
Is that kind of pronunciation standard your wheelhouse or your forecastle?
Any good boatswain would know.