Wednesday, January 25 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, January 25 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

Maybe this has been mentioned already, but Sanders was on SNL on February 6, 2016, when Larry David hosted.

What Bernie Sanders is not is a former U.S. senator.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

I have to say that is the worst response to a question about a senator since the final game in the Tournament of Champions some years ago when this question came up:

In 1984, he was elected to the Senate from Tennessee to replace Howard Baker.

This tournament took place when Al Gore was one of the hottest politicians in the country and I believe had either become vice president or was running for vice president.

One of the contestants rang in and said who is Sasser?

SASSER?!

There has not been and never will be a Jeopardy question about Senator Sasser.

The contestant was ruled incorrect. An opponent rang in and correctly answered Al Gore and then on his next selection found the Daily Double and went on to win the game and the tournament.

Sasser?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:09 pm I have to say that is the worst response to a question about a senator since the final game in the Tournament of Champions some years ago when this question came up:

In 1984, he was elected to the Senate from Tennessee to replace Howard Baker.

This tournament took place when Al Gore was one of the hottest politicians in the country and I believe had either become vice president or was running for vice president.

One of the contestants rang in and said who is Sasser?

SASSER?!

There has not been and never will be a Jeopardy question about Senator Sasser.

The contestant was ruled incorrect. An opponent rang in and correctly answered Al Gore and then on his next selection found the Daily Double and went on to win the game and the tournament.

Sasser?
Here is the clue:
POLITICIANS $600: In 1984 this Democrat won election to the U.S. Senate from Tennessee, succeeding Howard Baker

from this game: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=124

Jerome did not win the ToC.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'm surprised how much of that I remembered from over 30 years ago. anyway, the tournament aired after Gore had been elected vice president so it must have been taped after he was already nominated. All the more reason for Sasser to be as much of a non sequitur as Sanders having been an SNL alumnus.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

floridagator wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:42 pm I'm surprised how much of that I remembered from over 30 years ago. anyway, the tournament aired after Gore had been elected vice president so it must have been taped after he was already nominated. All the more reason for Sasser to be as much of a non sequitur as Sanders having been an SNL alumnus.
The player named one of the two sitting Senators from Tennessee, both of which were Democrats. He didn't know which one had been serving 8 years and which one had been serving 16 years. It's totally reasonable to think the show is more likely to ask about Gore given he was seeking national office. But calling this "the worst response to a clue about a Senator in the last 30 years"....just your usual hyperbolic idiocy.