Wednesday, January 25 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 25 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Wednesday, January 25 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDMARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Pskov & Nizhny Novgorod are 2 of the cities that have a fortress called this

Troy Meyer: 18400+14401=32801 (5x = $170,401)
Kristina Zimmerman: 9200+0=9200
David Maes: 16400+2001=18401

Correct response:
Spoiler
Kremlin

Daily Doubles
Troy: 3400+3400
David: 4800+4800
Kristina: 11800-3000

Coryats
Troy: 15800
Kristina: 12200
David: 12800

Combined: 40,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Troy: 11600
Kristina: 3000
David: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Troy had misses, Troy had surprising TS clues and Troy had fierce competition. Troy did not get a 5th runaway. It does not matter because Troy got the W for a place in the ToC.

Today's game is one to remember when it comes time for that ToC as Troy was quite beatable in multiple ways against regular play people.

Ken must have jinxed things when he kept bringing up the 17R in a round for Troy.

The FJ! clue was a snap one when I could match the players as I had nothing else to consider.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Fantastic game to watch from the Wheel stage/green room and MB is correct saying that Troy really did look beatable for the first time... I certainly sensed it, at least. David and Kristina showed excellent resolve in DJ, David especially with his buzzer success.

Pretty sure all the other contestants had this Final right in the green room, and I think I remember a groan or two going out (probably from me LOL) when we realized that all three on stage would have it right too, spoiling the upset bid.

They did an overheard last night so they probably won't release this... but Troy gave a funny summarization of his thought process when things were looking hairy at the end, saying that he saw "game show heaven" where Ken was at the end. No one was more excited to see the lunch break than he was.

ETA: I forgot this was the game where Troy gave the LeBron anecdote. Local alternate Sam stated what some of the others were probably thinking. "He's the LeBron of trivia!"
Last edited by threearruda on Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Great DJ round by David after Troy was pretty dominant in the first round. But he failed to maximize his chances at fiding DD3, going back to the lit category multiple times after already playing DD2 there. Looking at LL stats, David has TV as one of his weaker categories so maybe there's no guarantee he wins if he finds the SNL DD but it was definitely quite gettable.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: harem pants, cafe/chafe, our favorite penguin ;) , italicizing

could not pull GMO :(

as Mark implied, FJ was pretty much a WECIB :mrgreen:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Welp, Kristina and David made a game of it but couldn't quite get there. Give DD3 to David and we might be seeing a new champ. But Kristina didn't have the gumption to wager big there and missed it anyway, which left her in the end with exactly half the champ's score. It's probably a mercy to her that this was a triple get or she might have found out the hard way that her $0 FJ wager wasn't going to work out unless David made a huge wagering mistake himself. (Narrator: He didn't.)

This FJ was pure WECIB for me. Name the only thing in Russia you've ever heard described as a "fortress" and hope there's at least two more places with the same name. I didn't know this for a fact, but I wasn't surprised to be right. I'll check the box that says I got this one but not the box that says "I knew before Tuesday's FJ that there was more than one Kremlin."

Oh, and I almost forgot! Note this down as another game where nobody knew my name. I have a stuffed version of our favorite penguin sitting here on the couch. When the clue came up about Boccherini using this Latin word to number his works, the penguin jumped from the couch and gesticulated wildly, but to no avail. The contestants stood and stared. Even Mrs Penguin didn't quite figure out what he was on about until Ken gave the word they were looking for.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This looked like one that almost got away. Between Yogesh, morbeedo, and now Troy's games I suffer from cognitive dissonance whenever the players get an answer wrong or even a TS. Fortunately, my cognitive assonance stage isn't notably different.
threearruda wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:57 pm
I pasted the url and am giving a thumbs up for threearruda's field report. I just happened to see it hidden in his footer. There's some good inside info about the state of things on set. Consider it the pre-game show before the kickoff :). Good retro luck!

Moderators - since TenPoundHammer made it on wheel, and now threearuda made the big leagues, am I required to take the numeral out of my handle? I think my high score on the test was 33 or so back when we took them online together.

http://jakedearruda.com/
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

I didn't know there was more than one Kremlin but I did know that the word is translated "fortress" (sometimes "citadel") so I guess it amounts to the same thing... :D
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Couldn't get Insomnia or Kate McKinnon.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

threearruda wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:57 pm Pretty sure all the other contestants had this Final right in the green room, and I think I remember a groan or two going out (probably from me LOL) when we realized that all three on stage would have it right too, spoiling the upset bid.
Does that mean that contestants who haven't gotten on yet are sequestered in the Green Room nowadays as opposed to being in the audience?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:38 am
threearruda wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:57 pm Pretty sure all the other contestants had this Final right in the green room, and I think I remember a groan or two going out (probably from me LOL) when we realized that all three on stage would have it right too, spoiling the upset bid.
Does that mean that contestants who haven't gotten on yet are sequestered in the Green Room nowadays as opposed to being in the audience?
Orientation and the green room are now done on the Wheel of Fortune stage, where they show a feed through some of the TVs perched up high there (I call it the green room out of habit lol). They're still strict about COVID, so makeup is done on the stage a few feet away from the wheel, wardrobe in another room on that stage, and there's plenty of space to spread everyone out. Also probably easier to have everyone on an adjacent stage so there's certainty that no one sees material ahead of time, etc.

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:26 pm
I pasted the url and am giving a thumbs up for threearruda's field report. I just happened to see it hidden in his footer. There's some good inside info about the state of things on set. Consider it the pre-game show before the kickoff :). Good retro luck!

http://jakedearruda.com/
Thank you much! I drew inspiration from other people's blogs and news articles about their experiences, so my hope was not only for me to have a place to reflect on my vacation, but also to provide some information about taping as well as tips/tricks for other prospective contestants and fans. Can't believe we're already one day away!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Based on this game and #7835, it looks like you're allowed to say "Who is Dreyfus?" and get away with it, just as long as you don't say "Who is Louise Dreyfus?" (see show #6506).
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got Al Franken right away from SNL alumnus who is a former senator. I don't think that makes me special. But I'm surprised an actual contestant on stage who had a few seconds to think about it came up with Bernie Sanders.

I'm not sure television had even been invented at the point where Sanders was at the age when most people join Saturday Night Live.

And I don't think Sanders was ever a cast member or any kind of actor.

How interesting she chose to pursue this from the angle of senators rather from the less populous universe of SNL alumni.

And if I need to top spin my argument any further, I will point out that Sanders is not a former senator.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

That's a lot of paragraphs about what probably amounted to a "forgot the category" error.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:05 am That's a lot of paragraphs about what probably amounted to a "forgot the category" error.
I was not charitable to Sanders. Television was of course invented before he was born. And he is only 2 years older than Chevy Chase and in fact he is younger than Garrett Morris, who was one of the original not ready for Prime Time Players.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:45 am
seaborgium wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:05 am That's a lot of paragraphs about what probably amounted to a "forgot the category" error.
I was not charitable to Sanders. Television was of course invented before he was born. And he is only 2 years older than Chevy Chase and in fact he is younger than Garrett Morris, who was one of the original not ready for Prime Time Players.
Or "Not for Ready Prime Time Players," as Don Pardo accidentally announced in the first episode's opening.