Friday, January 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:30 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:04 pm This hard line does make sense. If you are tongue tied, you know you are, and they seem to allow you to keep revising until you stop talking.
Or, more precisely, until the host rules you wrong. So I agree that the "rule" that you're not allowed to change your response on a "say it again" prompt is in conflict with the broader rule that you can change your response until you are ruled against. Which I why I wonder what the history may be with reversals based on contestants not saying it again, where "it" is the wrong thing they said the first time. There are ~90 clues in the Archive with "say it again" prompts, and I don't have time to go through them all just now.
We've gone through this before on the board, there is some point in the distant past where Alex chided a player for changing their response and they were negged after the fact since they didn't say the same thing the second time. But in the Battle of the Decades there was the notable Brad Rutter issue on a key late clue against Michael Dupee, where he clearly says the word wrong and then gets it right when Alex gives him a second chance. So at least since 2014 it has seemed to be the case that you are allowed to correct yourself if you're told to repeat, despite how unfair this may seem to the other two players.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:25 pm IMDb capitalizes every word in the title, even the preposition "en", which is just... blech.
:lol: I'm with you. I know it's a minor issue in the grand scheme, but I just grind my teeth at every example of people thinking "title case" means you capitalize every word. I especially hate it when software has a menu selection specifically called "Title Case" and when you highlight a title and select that option... THAT'S NOT TITLE CASE, YOU MORON!!!! Ahem. Sorry. I'm calm now.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:04 pmI suppose I'd be negged for always saying Illi-noise, and my wife would say I deserve it.
This used to be my worry when I would shout out joke answers from the couch. What if I was training myself to do the same thing under the lights? I could just see myself buzzing in to say, "What is macamadamia? Mmmmm. Aaarrrllllggghh!" a la Homer Simpson and being ruled incorrect as the audience, and in the future, people across the country, pointed and laughed.

Now I'm not actively trying to get on the show because my time has passed, so I feel more free to shout responses that make Mrs Penguin laugh rather than responses that are, from a strict point of view, correct.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:36 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:04 pmI suppose I'd be negged for always saying Illi-noise, and my wife would say I deserve it.
This used to be my worry when I would shout out joke answers from the couch. What if I was training myself to do the same thing under the lights? I could just see myself buzzing in to say, "What is macamadamia? Mmmmm. Aaarrrllllggghh!" a la Homer Simpson and being ruled incorrect as the audience, and in the future, people across the country, pointed and laughed.

Now I'm not actively trying to get on the show because my time has passed, so I feel more free to shout responses that make Mrs Penguin laugh rather than responses that are, from a strict point of view, correct.
I don't think anyone would be negged for saying Illinoise...laughed at, maybe...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:22 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:36 am

I don't think anyone would be negged for saying Illinoise...laughed at, maybe...
Missouri can be Missou-rah for another acceptable state pronunciation I've heard more than once.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:34 pm Missouri can be Missou-rah for another acceptable state pronunciation I've heard more than once.
This native Missourian very rarely hears the latter, but I'm a city boy and don't get out in the country that much anymore.

I'd bet that the twelve footer hears it more frequently in the Joplin area, especially outside the city limits. Still have a bit of family outside Joplin, it's a little..... well.... different.
Sage on the Hudson

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

The Final Jeopardy clue relied on knowledge so esoteric -- either you knew intimately the history of this little-seen film, or you didn't -- that it was all but unsolvable (no shock that it was a triple-stumper, and deserved to be). There is no line of reasoning or knowledge of the French language that would or could lead anyone from "La Môme" to "La Vie en Rose."

One of the truly awful clues of all time. Somebody, or a number of somebodies, on the show's writing and producing staff needs a tutorial as to how clues, especially Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy, which allow the time to follow lines ofreasoning, should be written.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Sage on the Hudson wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:45 am no line of reasoning or knowledge of the French language that would or could lead anyone from "La Môme" to "La Vie en Rose." One of the truly awful clues of all time.
Hey, welcome back! Long time, no see!

One path to the solve was that you could have known that Piaf was known professionally by a nickname given to her by the nightclub owner who gave her her start, la môme piaf, a pun on her name that was slang for "little sparrow".

If I would have expected anyone to get this one right, it might have been you. Don't you love movie arcana?
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

I knew exactly what film they were talking about as soon as FJ was revealed. I saw the movie a couple of years after it was released and liked it a lot. This is a rare case where I find the foreign title to be much easier to remember than the domestic one*, so the hard part for me was remembering what the domestic title was. I briefly considered "Je ne regrette rien" before I remembered it was "La Vie en rose." Anyway I learned something new. I had thought môme was the French word for some kind of songbird. Maybe I had it confused with moineau ("sparrow").

* Another example of that is "À la recherche du temps perdu"; "Remembrance of Things Past", ironically, is very hard for me to remember.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:05 pm
ACW wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:24 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:17 pmJ!-related...life issues
That's a thing?
Initially didn't have that in my post but then inserted it when I thought of BL
BL?