Monday, January 30, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, January 30, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

threearruda wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:12 am Sam went 6/12 in the $1600 and $2000 rows (and he probably knew the 1600 DD that he didn't get to play). I don't think that qualifies as "not a strong player".
I agree. Sam was good and a strong challenger.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Picked Off wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:30 pm Pathos here.
Ditto. And looking it up after the fact, depending on the source the judges used, there might be about a 3-5% chance of it being accepted. Maybe.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:44 pm
Picked Off wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:30 pm Pathos here.
Ditto. And looking it up after the fact, depending on the source the judges used, there might be about a 3-5% chance of it being accepted. Maybe.
I definitely looked it up after the show and tried to make an argument. But I just couldn't get there. So I agree with your giving it very low odds and even being hesitant with that. The "STORY of suffering" spec is already difficult to argue for and "emotion of ANY kind" pretty much sinks this ship.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:32 pm Judges: iron fist?
I'd always heard it as "iron fist in a velvet glove", so I'm giving myself credit.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

In FJ, I went to the correct story, the Crucifixion, but I got stuck on "excruciating" and didn't make it to "passion" in time. I daresay it would have helped had I been Catholic.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:47 am
Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:01 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:36 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:38 am
da Doctah wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:25 am On a side note, I love it when an obscure answer comes up (duxelle) that directly relates to the random anecdote in the interview section.
And Ken, as usual, was on top of it so we'd get full value. I had no idea there was a connection until he casually tossed that fact out and moved the game along.
This. Of course then I needed da Doctah's post here to explain what I couldn't process in real time. I probably won't be cooking any Beef Wellington unless there is a microwave hot pocket version.
What was Ken's remark? We should get that in the Archive.

For this clue, I responded with Hachis Parmentier, which was my go-to microwave dinner when I lived in Paris. I have no idea whether it has mushrooms in it or not, but maybe not. Also, it appears that although Antoine Parmentier was a highly celebrated figure, he was not a noble.
(Ken: Yeah, you need it for beef Wellington, I think.) is added. I was going to do it when archiving and must have forgotten after I checked to make sure I spelled Duxelle correctly.
As if we needed any more confirmation that KJ is the perfect successor to Sir Alex.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:06 pm
mahatma wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:33 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 pm BASMOQ! - British columbia Alberta Saskatchewan Manitoba Ontario Quebec in that order. I usually just remember the ASM (pronounced to rhyme with spasm rather than spelled out) because those are the ones we Americans have trouble keeping in the right sequence.
I'll bet there are some Americans who have an easy time with it.
Are you referring to the kind who would prefer it if you didn't call them "Americans"?
I mean, I'm no expert. However, the few I've known have preferred the simpler 'Americans' to 'America'sHattians'.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mahatma wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:06 pm
mahatma wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:33 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 pm BASMOQ! - British columbia Alberta Saskatchewan Manitoba Ontario Quebec in that order. I usually just remember the ASM (pronounced to rhyme with spasm rather than spelled out) because those are the ones we Americans have trouble keeping in the right sequence.
I'll bet there are some Americans who have an easy time with it.
Are you referring to the kind who would prefer it if you didn't call them "Americans"?
I mean, I'm no expert. However, the few I've known have preferred the simpler 'Americans' to 'America'sHattians'.
If those are the choices, I suppose. The ones I've known prefer "Canadians" because "Americans" live in the US. Some of them have strong feelings about "Americans" and would not care to be mis-labeled as one.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mahatma wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:23 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:47 am
Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:01 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:36 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:38 am

And Ken, as usual, was on top of it so we'd get full value. I had no idea there was a connection until he casually tossed that fact out and moved the game along.
This. Of course then I needed da Doctah's post here to explain what I couldn't process in real time. I probably won't be cooking any Beef Wellington unless there is a microwave hot pocket version.
What was Ken's remark? We should get that in the Archive.

For this clue, I responded with Hachis Parmentier, which was my go-to microwave dinner when I lived in Paris. I have no idea whether it has mushrooms in it or not, but maybe not. Also, it appears that although Antoine Parmentier was a highly celebrated figure, he was not a noble.
(Ken: Yeah, you need it for beef Wellington, I think.) is added. I was going to do it when archiving and must have forgotten after I checked to make sure I spelled Duxelle correctly.
As if we needed any more confirmation that KJ is the perfect successor to Sir Alex.
Yeah, I watched the most recent Celebrity Jeopardy right after this one. Mayim is pleasant enough, but the pregnant pauses before ruling are still there, she has a limited number of ways to rule someone correct, and she doesn't always catch the right places to express enthusiasm. Ken has none of those deficits.

Catching up on the threads; congrats again, Jake! You're starting to talk real money here.