Monday, January 30, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Monday, January 30, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

Bamaman wrote: ↑Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:32 pm Judges: iron fist?

Congratulations on the second win, Jake!!!

I got FJ remembering The Passion of the Christ.
I've heard the expression far more often as iron fist. Some more proof @ 1:00:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alan tiger wrote: ↑Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:24 pm ben bova is one of my favorite writers. i have more than 30 of his books. he was one of harlan ellison's true friends - they actually worked together on the ill-fated television series "the starlost" which bova hilariously parodied as "the starcrossed."
Bova's The Duelling Machine was one of my favorites as an adolescent. It had exactly the right sensibility to impress my developing brain with its coolness. I always thought Hollywood missed and is still missing a treasure trove in that book in particular and in Bova's writing in general. He writes in a way that's very easy to picture and his plotting also seems like he's already done most of the heavy lifting for a would-be screenwriter. The scene breaks occur naturally and the action progresses in a way that doesn't leave you bored or confused.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Nice win, Jake. You looked much more relaxed on stage in this game. Lots of Lach trash for me tonight and an Instaget FJ. Then again, I know far too much about the Passion Play of Bayreuth. (And that passion fruit get their name from the flower, which resembled Christ crucified to someone)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mahatma wrote: ↑Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:33 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: ↑Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 pm BASMOQ! - British columbia Alberta Saskatchewan Manitoba Ontario Quebec in that order. I usually just remember the ASM (pronounced to rhyme with spasm rather than spelled out) because those are the ones we Americans have trouble keeping in the right sequence.
I'll bet there are some Americans who have an easy time with it.
Are you referring to the kind who would prefer it if you didn't call them "Americans"?
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

pulling out a Roger Craig, if not mistaken. two wrong's in the same province.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Would've gone 4/5 on TV channels if I didn't stay clam. Only one I didn't guess right on was the top row, too.

Second time I said El Dorado for Cibola...

Nowhere close on final. Can't even remember what I said and it was only 15 minutes ago. All I know is it was very wrong.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was pretty sure the original use didn't specifically have to do with suffering, but the best I could come up with was catharsis/cathartic.

I didn't realize Mark was referring to me in his post, since my five misses in a row weren't in consecutive shows.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

lede: Great Job Jake - Sam was a tough cookie. There. Not buried.

TIL that Passion Plays don't mean what I thought they did. I had no candidates, and if I'd thought of passion it wouldn't have clicked that I knew both sides of the clue.

I love those nursery rhyme clues but I panic when I have to go back to the beginning. We edit out "master" and replace with "farmer" or something when we sing Baa Baa Black Sheep with our granddaughter. I'm just a woke snowflake who hates America I guess.

I don't know enough about hockey to understand the clue Jake missed or that they don't have cheer squads. I was surprised at the miss, but even Yogesh has missed one Film clue out of 290 in Learned League, so stuff happens.

Great job, threearuda. We've seen the maroon sweater and the khaki?/olive? one. What's next??
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Said Towering Inferno instead of Wicker Man.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Great job, Jake! Best of retro luck to you. πŸ‘
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I said dolorosa.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sarah with a bit of a Michelle Pfeiffer vibe tonight and almost pulled off the sole get on FJ.

Another strong showing by Jake. Nice job!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Ay caramba! What is this with players not knowing Canadian geography? There are only 10 provinces and they're almost in a line. Canadian geography questions come up all the time on Jeopardy.

The Flames are in Calgary, which is not a provincial capital.

I suspected Sam wouldn't be a strong player because he was too quick to guess wildly. He got $1,000 Clues twice and then blew that score on the next question. He went from 1,000 to 0 twice.

I couldn't get to passion in time because I was having trouble dismissing lamentation, or lament from my mind, which I knew didn't refer to all kinds of emotion.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

opusthepenguin wrote: ↑Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:06 pm
Picked Off wrote: ↑Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:30 pm Pathos here.
That's a hard one to shake off if you think of it first. I was almost ready to go with it. But for once I kept thinking and managed to get to passion.
I had the right one straight out of the starting gate. Reminding me of the time I immediately recognized a TS as "stations of the cross". And I'm not even Catholic.

On a side note, I love it when an obscure answer comes up (duxelle) that directly relates to the random anecdote in the interview section.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

floridagator wrote: ↑Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:50 pm
I suspected Sam wouldn't be a strong player because he was too quick to guess wildly. He got $1,000 Clues twice and then blew that score on the next question. He went from 1,000 to 0 twice.
That 13,400 Coryat just sucks, good prediction.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Thanks again, all.
twelvefootboy wrote: ↑Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:13 pm Great job, threearuda. We've seen the maroon sweater and the khaki?/olive? one. What's next??
Just gray. Blue quarter zip tonight. As if I needed yet another way to upset the apple cart on Twitter, I'm bracing myself for a scolding from OneEclecticMom. At least I'm pretty sure she'll be gentle. :lol:

floridagator wrote: ↑Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:50 pm Ay caramba! What is this with players not knowing Canadian geography? There are only 10 provinces and they're almost in a line. Canadian geography questions come up all the time on Jeopardy.

The Flames are in Calgary, which is not a provincial capital.

I've already stated that I simply rang in and promptly forgot the category with the hockey clue.

Sam went 6/12 in the $1600 and $2000 rows (and he probably knew the 1600 DD that he didn't get to play). I don't think that qualifies as "not a strong player".
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

da Doctah wrote: ↑Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:25 am On a side note, I love it when an obscure answer comes up (duxelle) that directly relates to the random anecdote in the interview section.
And Ken, as usual, was on top of it so we'd get full value. I had no idea there was a connection until he casually tossed that fact out and moved the game along.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: ↑Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:38 am
da Doctah wrote: ↑Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:25 am On a side note, I love it when an obscure answer comes up (duxelle) that directly relates to the random anecdote in the interview section.
And Ken, as usual, was on top of it so we'd get full value. I had no idea there was a connection until he casually tossed that fact out and moved the game along.
This. Of course then I needed da Doctah's post here to explain what I couldn't process in real time. I probably won't be cooking any Beef Wellington unless there is a microwave hot pocket version.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

twelvefootboy wrote: ↑Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:36 am
This. Of course then I needed da Doctah's post here to explain what I couldn't process in real time. I probably won't be cooking any Beef Wellington unless there is a microwave hot pocket version.
What was Ken's remark? We should get that in the Archive.

For this clue, I responded with Hachis Parmentier, which was my go-to microwave dinner when I lived in Paris. I have no idea whether it has mushrooms in it or not, but maybe not. Also, it appears that although Antoine Parmentier was a highly celebrated figure, he was not a noble.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: ↑Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:01 am
twelvefootboy wrote: ↑Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:36 am
What was Ken's remark? We should get that in the Archive.

For this clue, I responded with Hachis Parmentier, which was my go-to microwave dinner when I lived in Paris. I have no idea whether it has mushrooms in it or not, but maybe not. Also, it appears that although Antoine Parmentier was a highly celebrated figure, he was not a noble.
(Ken: Yeah, you need it for beef Wellington, I think.) is added. I was going to do it when archiving and must have forgotten after I checked to make sure I spelled Duxelle correctly.