Tuesday, January 31, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 31, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Tuesday, January 31, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. STATE NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
5 U.S. states have 6-letter names; only these 2 west of the Mississippi River border each other

Jake DeArruda: 21000-333=20667 (3x = $68,661)
Soren Bliefnick: 8800-200=8600
Liz Mendoza: 200-200=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Oregon & Nevada (Jake - Kansas &) (Soren - Oregon and) (Liz - Kansas)
Daily Doubles
Jake: 3000+3000
Jake: 10400+4600
Liz: 3600-3000

Coryats
Jake: 16000
Soren: 8800
Liz: 3200

Combined: 28,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jake: 6000
Soren: 5200
Liz: 2400
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jake opened with a run of JASON CONCEPCION to earn his sports redemption even though it pained Jake to name the reigning NBA champs. J6 was the DD and Jake went up to $6000.

24 clues later? Jake was still at $6,000. Fortunately, the DJ! round went well enough to allow for a $333 wager for fun at the end.

Ken got to do a NH, NF when everyone missed the Target clue.

The FJ! clue was a good one for me as long before I even thought of HI and AK I hit upon 1/2 of the correct response in heading to neighbors first. From there it was a no-doubter to be done. For something to do while the music played I thought of the state that came to Jake and Liz.

Jake got the threepeat to make tomorrow's game even more interesting as that Troy rematch is still alive. A good ending to the game would be for Jake to take his FJ! clue solve percentage up to 25%.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Correct response not included. --Bob
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I got them both pretty quick, but I wasn't sure they bordered. Didn't have anything better in 30 seconds.
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

Bob78164 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:38 pm Correct response not included. --Bob
Fixed, thanks.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

No underline.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

My brain got stuck in Kansas...a minute later, I realized Oregon and Nevada. Too late, of course, but still.

Congrats on three games, Jake!
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Thank goodness I did not start with Kansas.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I’ve found it funny that categories I thought played yesterday and tomorrow played today, and vise versa. It’s like I’m watching right along with you for the first time.
Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:38 pm Thank goodness I did not start with Kansas.
Don’t worry, you could’ve precalled Nevada like me and still ended up with Kansas. :? No clue how I managed to do that.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:55 pm Finally done: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7684
I’ll take blame for any delays with all the added parentheses I’ve made you use past three days LOL. :oops:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: Forever War, Unforgiven :o .

did not know Charles Lindbergh's wife :(

Surprised this was a TS. Got there in five seconds. :mrgreen:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

threearruda wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:04 pm you could’ve precalled Nevada
I try not to precall because I worry it will bias my thinking, but if I had precalled a state, I think it would have been Nebraska. But that strategy may be outdated now.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woot! Congrats to Jake!

Interesting that Ken gave a pre-emptive BMS on the Lindbergh clue.

There probably won't be a poll choice on this, but I've read The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and got that TS. Haldeman wrote the novel as a sort of futuristic critique of his experience in Vietnam. It has long been taken as a direct reply to Heinlein's macho pro-military Starship Troopers. Haldeman denies this but does acknowledge that, while he admired Heinlein's storytelling in that novel, he did feel that it glorified war and he took issue with that.

Kind of surprised that there was a clue about Brandon Sanderson and Ken didn't mention that Brandon was his college roommate. I wonder if he was instructed not to for some reason. But what reason? Hat tip to Mrs Penguin who reminded me of that long-forgotten fact and quickly found the place in Maphead where Ken mentions it. Ken not only mentions Sanderson, he brings in the specific fact referenced in this clue--that Sanderson was picked to complete Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

Speaking of Mrs Penguin, she says that Jake has great leans. I agree. It ratchets up the drama when he leans into the camera with that look of deep concentration, waiting for Ken to read the Daily Double. He needs his own theme music.

Great job by Liz to battle back from -$1400 with only $400 clues left to help her toward her goal of playing FJ. She needed 4 of the remaining 6 and she got them all up front, with two still on the board for insurance. Not the victory she was hoping for at the start of the game, but a victory nonetheless.

I live in Kansas and have a better sense of who we border than I do for other complicated states. So I was able to eliminate us from contention pretty quickly. From here I went further west, ruling out the southwest and moving north. I think I thought of Oregon first but I'm not sure. In any event the only nearby 6-letter state was Nevada. (I must've checked Idaho five times to make sure I wasn't miscounting.) For some reason I pictured Oregon and Nevada touching corners and wondered if they would count that as a border. But I had nothing better so I went with that. So did Mrs P. In retrospect, looking at a map, I feel silly. I knew Oregon overlapped the northern border of California by a good bit. And the only state it could possibly spill out onto from there is Nevada. Whatever. A get's a get. It's fun to have two triple-stumpers in a row and bragging rights over Jake on this one small point.

Looking forward to tomorrow.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:44 pm I got them both pretty quick, but I wasn't sure they bordered. Didn't have anything better in 30 seconds.
Same here.

Great job, Jake!!!

As a fan of weird presidential trivia, I loved your interview.

I was in Indianapolis a couple years ago. I couldn’t get into Harrison’s home, but I did visit his grave. He is in the same cemetery as John Dillinger, who I also visited. His grave is adorned with bullets people left behind.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

did i ever mention that i read science fiction?
coincidences surely are coincidental. yes, i ran the science fiction category.
but i was truly suprised that joe haldeman's novel "the forever war" was a triple stumper!

it was in the late '70s. i had been living in greenwich village in manhattan for a few years, and a friend asked me if i had ever been to the local science fiction store. "science fiction store? where is it???"

it was on hudson street, just north of jane street, across from the jane street seafood restaurant (not too far from where alexander hamilton lived). the next day, after work, i stopped into the place. there was only one guy there, an older guy with a gray ponytail that reached his waist. he was on the phone, but greeted me with a nod, and raised two fingers at me so as to say he'd be right with me. i did a little browsing, and the guy stepped up to me and asked what did i like. i didn't miss a beat: space opera, bug-eyed monsters, worm holes, inter-galactic warfare, and the paradoxes of time-travel. his eyes lit up and immediately reached for haldeman's first novel (which had won the hugo, nebula and locus awards!) it was fabulous and has come to be known as one of the best sf novels of the decade. he has written three or four sequels. i've read almost all his work, and several by his brother jack.

i became a regular at the science fiction shop. the owner was baird searles, a famous sf author and critic, who actually wrote a few sf books of his own (including one sf trivia book!). he never knew my name, but came to recognize the guy with wire-rimmed glasses, a three-piece suit, polished shoes and a briefcase. we'd talk for a while every time i came into the shop. he knew more about science fiction than anyone i've ever met! in 1990, he closed the shop, and moved to montreal with his male partner so that they could marry.

p.s. whenever i was in the shop, i would ask baird about the twelfth (and *really* rare) volume of george r. r. martin's "wild card" series, entitled "turn of the cards." he'd laugh and tell me not to hold my breath. "wild cards" is now up to 31 volumes.
p.p.s john scalzi's "redshirts" was delightful!
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

“Soren Bliefnick” is one of the greatest Jeopardy! contestant names ever. Sounds like a Bond villain. Or a professional wrestler.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Liz was totally Natalie Teeger. Great comeback on her part. If you ask me, contestants with negative totals should be able to do FJ just for bragging rights.

And Jake, of course, another great one on your part.