Wednesday, February 1, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 1, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Wednesday, February 1, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Published in 2011, P.D. James’ final novel, "Death Comes to Pemberley", was a sequel to this novel from 200 years earlier

Jake DeArruda: 24800-7601=17199
Patti Palmer: 16200+16000=32200 (New Champ)
Aaron Bola: 7400-6400=1000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pride and Prejudice (Jake – Northanger Abbey) (Aaron – Odyssey)

Daily Doubles
Jake: 2200+2200
Jake: 7800+5000
Patti: 6600+6000

Coryats
Jake: 19600
Patti: 12200
Aaron: 7400

Combined: 39,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jake: 7800
Patti: 3800
Aaron: 1000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken was very clever to go Toto lyric in acknowledging Jake's correct response on DD2. That in MOUNTAINS. Where would the other DD be? The GREEK DEITIES category was the obvious choice. Patti found it and big 6K there saved the game for her and cost Jake the potential runaway he needed.

The FJ! clue had tossing a coin badly weighted the wrong way for Jane Eyre in vaguely recalling a connection to one of those guys in those books from the 1800s. By now, I should have a general sense of when the Austen books vs. Bronte books were written, but I did not really consider that aspect of the clue.

Instead I went Rochester's way instead of the correct guy. Even if I at least had the right author it's still possible I pick the wrong work as I have seen and read nothing of that stuff. My skill set is not much above knowing where to place Bennet vs. Dashwood.

I wonder if Patti has had to try out multiple times over the decades? She seemed capable enough in all aspects of the game to come across as a perfectly suitable contestant.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:11 pm I wonder if Patti has had to try out multiple times over the decades? She seemed capable enough in all aspects of the game to come across as a perfectly suitable contestant.
While I don't know the answer to that, my audience guest sat next to Patti's. I was told she really studied game theory/strategy going in, and she knew exactly what to do to win the game (certainly didn't hurt that she hit a couple categories she liked, too!).

Aaron and I have talked a bunch lately - we were, and still are, absolutely thrilled for her.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

threearruda wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:37 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:11 pm I wonder if Patti has had to try out multiple times over the decades? She seemed capable enough in all aspects of the game to come across as a perfectly suitable contestant.
While I don't know the answer to that, my audience guest sat next to Patti's. I was told she really studied game theory/strategy going in, and she knew exactly what to do to win the game (certainly didn't hurt that she hit a couple categories she liked, too!).

Aaron and I have talked a bunch lately - we were, and still are, absolutely thrilled for her.
Your good sportsmanship is noted as the game is done: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7687
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:11 pm The FJ! clue had tossing a coin badly weighted the wrong way for Jane Eyre in vaguely recalling a connection to one of those guys in those books from the 1800s. By now, I should have a general sense of when the Austen books vs. Bronte books were written, but I did not really consider that aspect of the clue.
Jane Eyre == Thornfield Hall
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: Emerald City, jet, breakout,

looked for a similar title, guessed Death Comes for the Archbishop,
tho the date ended up way off :(

congrats all around :)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Couldn't get Kenny Powers or Tracy Jordan.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was spoiled when a comment on the YouTube video I watched popped up that said Jake lost. Was pleasantly surprised when it was Patti who won.

Congratulations on your run, Jake.

Nothing for me on FJ.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:45 pm I was spoiled when a comment on the YouTube video I watched popped up that said Jake lost.
I was spoiled when Jake said he hoped Troy won the ToC. :P

Congratulations to Jake for a great run and Patti for a most worthy takedown!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Great run, Jake. Bravo!!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Ya done us proud, Jake!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Welp, Jake, you fell short of a TOC berth and the hoped-for rematch with Troy unless something odd happens. But this run is enough of a triumph that I'm guessing you still wake up sometimes with a smile on your face. Well done.

And well done Patti! Lovely to see someone have the guts to make the right DD wager and get rewarded for it.

I overthought this FJ. I knew the timing was right for Pride & Prejudice and that should've been the end of it. But I couldn't remember a Pemberley in that book, having read it a mere 36 years ago. So I started wondering if I should go with another Austen novel. Ended up on Sense & Sensibility. Sigh. Pemberley is, of course, Mr. Darcy's estate.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

threearruda wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:37 pm

See if you can coax her onto the JBoard. Aaron too, but I'm especially curious about Patti's wager and her decision to go big rather than small. I can see some reasoning for it, but I think I'd have gone the other way and not made as much money.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Jake, congratulations on your three Jeopardy wins and your four TD wins, in case I didn't congratulate you then.

The new champ made it happen with that bottom row dd.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

My thanks again, everyone. As I said Friday, I don't get this far without everything I've learned here and on the Archive over the years.

I know I certainly did not make my life easy up there for a variety of reasons, so I very much appreciate the kind words over the past week. And the fair criticisms. I look forward to seeing the rest of the season and trying to figure out what comes next. Out of town this weekend, but I think it'll really hit when Monday rolls around.

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:28 pm
I was spoiled when Jake said he hoped Troy won the ToC. :P
I'd have said that whether I won 0 or 50. :lol:
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:09 pm

See if you can coax her onto the JBoard. Aaron too, but I'm especially curious about Patti's wager and her decision to go big rather than small. I can see some reasoning for it, but I think I'd have gone the other way and not made as much money.
Not to put words in her mouth, but I guarantee you it was category related in this case. Speaking for myself, I predicted as soon as the category came up what would happen on her end, and that was right. Was all up to me and just didn't fall the right way this time.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I think in celebration of Jake's run it would be appropriate to have another TD soon. Stay tuned...
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

threearruda wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:52 pm My thanks again, everyone. As I said Friday, I don't get this far without everything I've learned here and on the Archive over the years.

I know I certainly did not make my life easy up there for a variety of reasons, so I very much appreciate the kind words over the past week. And the fair criticisms. I look forward to seeing the rest of the season and trying to figure out what comes next. Out of town this weekend, but I think it'll really hit when Monday rolls around.
You seemed genuinely gracious at the end of the game. That matters a lot.

I started on Jane Eyre at first, but it kept nagging at me that I knew what Pemberly was and I hadn't read Jane Eyre in decades. It finally hit me from Curtis Siddenfeld's rather humorous entry in the Jane Austen challenge, not sure I could have written out the full title in time.