Friday, February 3, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 3, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:50 pm
On FJ, another movie clue masquerading as something else...
Agreed. Not that there's anything wrong with that, at least for FJ. I'd hate to make a DD bet based on the category and get bait and switched like this.

I couldn't come up with anything. To have something, I said the surrender document on the Missouri, which might have had to list hundreds of names for some reason.

I haven't heard about two finger typing in decades. It was better known as "hunt and peck". Lots of people got pretty good at it, but probably 40 wpm at best.
This might be an interesting poll question - Can you touch type as defined by no looking and standard "f" and "j" home keys and thumbs on spacebar? (or whatever a real definition is) This boomer was one of the few boys in my high school class. Who knew what an asset it would prove to be. Now I can belch out garbage without thinking :lol: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:39 pm
astrohip wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:02 pm I also don't know why they asked for "film" critic.

What happened in the DJ round, on $1200 National Park System? It looked (and sounded) like a quick cut or edit, maybe Ricky kept protesting? Then you briefly saw Matthew's podium light up, but then Andrew got the next try.
Ken rejected Ricky's response, so Matthew rang in, then Ken said Yes, so Matthew's light went out, then Ken said No, we're not taking that, so Andrew rang in. I don't think there was a cut.
That's correct. But we didn't understand why Matthew didn't get to answer. He clearly rang in first once the buzzers were released.

My former boss used two fingers to type. He was reasonably fast, but it did drive me crazy. I'd keep going to myself, "Augh! Do it right already!"
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

astrohip wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:02 pm I also don't know why they asked for "film" critic.

What happened in the DJ round, on $1200 National Park System? It looked (and sounded) like a quick cut or edit, maybe Ricky kept protesting? Then you briefly saw Matthew's podium light up, but then Andrew got the next try.
Ken rejected Ricky's response, so Matthew rang in, then Ken said Yes, so Matthew's light went out, then Ken said No, we're not taking that, so Andrew rang in. I don't think there was a cut.

More info, from reddit:

AIRBORNE TURBULENCE: Ricky's response of "Tuskegee Red Wings" was initially rejected, then accepted, then rejected again. Andrew took the lay-up and scored the point with "Tuskegee Air Men," which was the preferred response. "Tuskegee Red Tails" was one of the acceptable alternate responses, which is why it caused confusion at first.

And from Matthew himself...
I was quite sad about how that Tuskegee question played out. If you watch closely, Ricky buzzes in, gives the wrong answer, I immediately buzz in, then Ken changes his mind and I'm locked out, then Ken changes his mind back and Andrew buzzes in. Lucky it didn't matter! If I'd been just UNDER twice their points totals before my tired end-of-day brain blanking on FJ, it would have been a very different ending to the episode...
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:41 am

That's correct. But we didn't understand why Matthew didn't get to answer. He clearly rang in first once the buzzers were released.
I doubt it was so clear if you were on the stage. Andrew's light was on after the final ruling so he was called on. Ken may never have focused on Matthew's light while trying to process Ricky's response. It was over in a second or 2. Since it didn't affect the game's outcome, no need for Matthew to be "sad."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Leander wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:30 pm I thought Matthew was given too much leeway on the question form on “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf”.
The title is actually Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

It literally is a question, so not sure where the leeway is coming in?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:46 pm
Leander wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:30 pm I thought Matthew was given too much leeway on the question form on “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf”.

The rule has long been that if the correct response is a question, then the contestant does not need to add the additional question. They usually do out of habit - but it is not required.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:26 pm Ms. Reinhard just passed away this past April. This obit mentions that she was not portrayed in the movie...
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/12/worl ... =share-url
Justice for Mimi!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:41 am

Same here chez Penguin. It's especially perplexing if Matthew was "locked out" as he said. I'm not sure how you'd know that, though. But that would mean he was penalized for winning the first buzzer race by not being allowed to compete in the second one. Like Matthew, I'm glad this didn't affect the outcome.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I think my favorite part of this was Matthew taking a second to process what Ken was saying. Ken, with his usual effortless adding of value while keeping the game moving says "That's correct AND it's a question" which clues the audience in as to why he isn't negging or doing the awkward pause. Matthew responds "Uh, A Little Astr... ha! good! A Little Astronomy, twelve-hundred."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DCFan1911 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:45 pm

The rule has long been that if the correct response is a question, then the contestant does not need to add the additional question. They usually do out of habit - but it is not required.
Yes, that was my point. :?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I would still like to know for sure if "Who?" is an acceptable answer. I'm not completely sure.

As in, "This band is known for "Tommy" and "Pinball Wizard"" - "Who?"
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

astrohip wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:59 am

More info, from reddit:

AIRBORNE TURBULENCE: Ricky's response of "Tuskegee Red Wings" was initially rejected, then accepted, then rejected again. Andrew took the lay-up and scored the point with "Tuskegee Air Men," which was the preferred response. "Tuskegee Red Tails" was one of the acceptable alternate responses, which is why it caused confusion at first.

And from Matthew himself...
I was quite sad about how that Tuskegee question played out. If you watch closely, Ricky buzzes in, gives the wrong answer, I immediately buzz in, then Ken changes his mind and I'm locked out, then Ken changes his mind back and Andrew buzzes in. Lucky it didn't matter! If I'd been just UNDER twice their points totals before my tired end-of-day brain blanking on FJ, it would have been a very different ending to the episode...
So the host messed up and affected the game score, yet there is no post from Golf or Linear Gnome pointing out the other host wouldn't have messed up.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I am a regular wearer of neckties. I am also a serious critic of them. Both these roles were inspired by years of watching Alex. Ken has had some awful neckties this week. I don't wear Paisley. The tie he wore today was especially bad. The tie Ricky wore was very nice.

Sometimes I would see a tie of Alex's that I liked and then would go out and buy one.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:00 pm I would still like to know for sure if "Who?" is an acceptable answer. I'm not completely sure.

As in, "This band is known for "Tommy" and "Pinball Wizard"" - "Who?"
Q: "Who recorded 'I Can See for Miles'?"
A: "Yes."
Q: "Who recorded 'I've Seen All Good People'?"
A: "Yes."
Leander

Post by Leander »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:15 pm

I'm not surprised this is the rule, but in many years of watching Jeopardy I've never seen it happen. I still find it odd, given the number of titles, especially songs, that are in the form of a question themselves that it doesn't open a path for confusion.

Whitney Houston Songs for $200:

How Do I Know? - Yes, That's correct!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Leander wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:57 am

I'm not surprised this is the rule, but in many years of watching Jeopardy I've never seen it happen. I still find it odd, given the number of titles, especially songs, that are in the form of a question themselves that it doesn't open a path for confusion.

It does seem very rare. I think most contestants are so programmed to start their response with "what is..." or "who is..." that they don't even consider that they don't need to add anything extraneous if the response is already a question.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

Leander wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:57 am I'm not surprised this is the rule, but in many years of watching Jeopardy I've never seen it happen. I still find it odd, given the number of titles, especially songs, that are in the form of a question themselves that it doesn't open a path for confusion.

It's definitely rare, but I did hear it happen in a Season 7 game on TuneIn. In fact, the entire category ("It's Questionable") had responses that were technically already phrased in the form of a question. But not all of the responses started with "who" or "what", and I don't remember Alex going into detail with the theme of the category, so it's no surprise that only one contestant played around with "Who's on First?"

No song titles, surprisingly enough.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Leander wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:57 am

How WILL I Know
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:16 pm It does seem very rare. I think most contestants are so programmed to start their response with "what is..." or "who is..." that they don't even consider that they don't need to add anything extraneous if the response is already a question.
I've already made up my mind that I wouldn't risk it. Yeah it's a cool thing to pull off. But deviating from the standard phrasing is just too risky. I'd end up trying it on a response that turned out not to be in the form of a question after all. "Caldecott winning book by Maurice Sendak". "Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt star in this 2000 film about female desires". "Citizen Kane famously lost the Best Picture Oscar to this film". "Percy Sledge had a hit with this number one song in 1966". "Bertrand Russell published his 1927 argument against religion under this title".
Spoiler
Where the Wild Things Are?
What Women Want?
How Green Was My Valley?
When a Man Loves a Woman?
Why I Am Not a Christian?

I probably should have noticed that the category was NOT A QUESTION. Except for that, I think I might have gotten away with that third response.
Matt Amodio had the right idea, however irritating his "What's..." might have been to some. Make it reflexive so it always happens.