FJs for the 1/30/23 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/30/23 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:51 pm

Originally relating to a story of suffering, this word now more commonly refers to strong emotion of any kind
28%
5 U.S. states have 6-letter names; only these 2 west of the Mississippi River border each other
81%
Published in 2011, P.D. James' final novel, "Death Comes to Pemberley", was a sequel to this novel from 200 years earlier
43%
Poseidon carried off the maiden Theophane & turned her into a ewe; their offspring was the source of this mythical object
83%
Mimi Reinhard, who never learned to type using more than 2 fingers, produced this with 1,100 names, including hers
65%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
9%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
EXPLORATION $2000: Francisco de Coronado found what was supposed to be the 7 Golden Cities of this; they turned out to be a simple Zuni pueblo
35%
THE BOOK'S SUPPORTING CHARACTERS $2000: Weena, an Eloi, & Morlocks, as the main guy really gets around
71%
BIG RIVER $2000: The name of this great river comes from words meaning "place to paddle" in the language of the Warao of Venezuela
68%
I had Oregon but not Nevada for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
6%
I had Nevada but not Oregon for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
1%
Kansas was part of my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
9%
I have traveled over the Oregon and Nevada border on land.
6%
I have set foot in Nevada.
68%
I have set foot in Oregon.
42%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue with a Bronte sister work.
9%
I had the wrong Austen title for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
9%
Like Mimi Reinhard from the Friday FJ! clue, I am a 2-finger typist.
12%
I can type with two hands without looking at the keyboard.
67%
SCI-FI & FANTASY $800: This Joe Haldeman classic tells of William Mandella, who fights the interstellar Taurans for a really long time  - I was correct with The Forever War.
20%

Total votes: 69

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 1/30/23 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

1/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

1/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Originally relating to a story of suffering, this word now more commonly refers to strong emotion of any kind

1/31 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. STATE NAMES

1/31 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
5 U.S. states have 6-letter names; only these 2 west of the Mississippi River border each other

2/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERATURE

2/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Published in 2011, P.D. James' final novel, "Death Comes to Pemberley", was a sequel to this novel from 200 years earlier

2/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MYTHOLOGY

2/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Poseidon carried off the maiden Theophane & turned her into a ewe; their offspring was the source of this mythical object

2/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD WAR II

2/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Mimi Reinhard, who never learned to type using more than 2 fingers, produced this with 1,100 names, including hers

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
passion
Oregon & Nevada
Pride and Prejudice
the Golden Fleece
Schindler's List
The players were 7/15 (46.67%) with a 0-0-1-3-3 success pattern.

The extra clues have a $2000 clue correct by Jake, Patti and Matthew.

EXPLORATION $2000: Francisco de Coronado found what was supposed to be the 7 Golden Cities of this; they turned out to be a simple Zuni pueblo

THE BOOK'S SUPPORTING CHARACTERS $2000: Weena, an Eloi, & Morlocks, as the main guy really gets around

BIG RIVER $2000: The name of this great river comes from words meaning "place to paddle" in the language of the Warao of Venezuela

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Cibola
The Time Machine
Orinoco
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 1/30/23 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jane Eyre
Set foot in Nevada
Two-hand typist without looking at keyboard
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Jane Austen ends my streak at 17; I said The Scarlet Letter to have something.

Been to Nevada, but only as far north as Vegas. Never been to Oregon.

I'm a touch typist.

No guess on Forever War.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

So 1811 + Pemberly is supposed to be a Pavlov for P&P? Noted

Never been to OR/NV
took a typing class in HS.
:mrgreen: on Forever War
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon - (nothing)

And for the bonus, El Dorado...again.

Only been to Nevada

I can type, and pretty quickly, with two hands. But I have to at least be able to glance at the keyboard for physical location. Also, I'm pretty sure I don't adhere to "proper" touch typing rules given how my right hand hovers over they keys more than anything and I never seem to use my pinkies. At all. None of this "resting on home row" baloney as well.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I wonder how I can even type at all...so I should probably stop that else I contract a case of typing yips...
Last edited by Volante on Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:07 pm I can type, and pretty quickly, with two hands. But I have to at least be able to glance at the keyboard for physical location. Also, I'm pretty sure I don't adhere to "proper" touch typing rules given how my right hand hovers over they keys more than anything and I never seem to use my pinkies. At all. None of this "resting on home row" baloney as well.
That's basically me. I can do about 60 cwpm using my hybrid method.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Oregon alone...I wish I remembered Cibola....
As a typist, I'm self-taught...more than 2 but less than 10...Why would I ever time myself??... :D
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

I have been in Nevada and Oregon but have not traveled over their border
Learned to type in high school
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

All I could come up with was the Horn of Amalthea :cry:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

Could not get away from Kansas fast enough. I say this about 3 times a week coming home from golf or basketball :lol:. It was a nice clue, I'm surprised at 86% get rate so far because if you don't catch one quickly, it takes a while to wind through the 5 and 7 letter count states. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming all seem about right and takes a separate equation to eliminate them.

Touch typist here, I'm sure I can out-type Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter ;). Thanks for the typing poll. I've been curious about Gen X and beyond - do they bother with classic typing training? Shorthand died in the 1970's I assume. Typewriters have been antiquated quite a while now and kids are already ruined on electronic keyboards before they could unlearn bad habits. In school, I chose the manual typewriters for timed tests because I could stop an errant key press in real time. Slower, but fewer mistakes. I can't begin to use the Ipad keyboard, so it's a one or two finger drill.

Been to Nevada 20+ times, Oregon about 8 times. Kansas, thousands of times (probably run there 50 times jogging 3 miles to the state line). Hawaii once. Alaska bupkus.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I type without looking (if I'm using a keyboard, anyway).

I went to Oregon in 1991, when my uncle lived in Medford (and worked with late season 1 J! champion Michael Wing); it's the farthest west I have been in my life thus far. I may be the only one in my nuclear family who hasn't been to Nevada; I'm sure my parents and three of my four siblings have been.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Was thinking of something Old Testament or Greek mythology Monday

No idea on The Forever War

Terrible typist
Been to Nevada if Vegas counts, never been to Oregon
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:47 pm Been to Nevada if Vegas counts
Ummmm
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I can type with two hands without looking, though when I do, I make too many mistakes that slow me down as I backspace to correct them. I type much faster and more accurately when I glance occasionally at the keyboard. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I think being an excellent speller enhances my speed.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I said anguish on Monday.

Also, I am old enough to have taken typing classes (on typewriters) as part of my public-school education, though I didn't really become a no-look typer until college, when I had to write term papers on an Apple IIe. In Helvetica!

I've been west of the Mississippi but not to any of the six-letter states.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:44 am I can type with two hands without looking, though when I do, I make too many mistakes that slow me down as I backspace to correct them. I type much faster and more accurately when I glance occasionally at the keyboard. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I think being an excellent speller enhances my speed.
This describes my piano playing exactly. Try as I might, I just can't trust moving more than about 3 keys up or down. I just call them jazz notes. 8-)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I would prefer not to.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Pathos instead of passion for Monday's miss.

Have been in both Oregon and Nevada, though my time in Oregon can be measured in hours, not days, with a brief dip into Portland from Vancouver, WA, many years ago.

Learned to type in high school; it was a mandatory class my sophomore year. The classroom was full of Remington manual machines. A few years later as an AF EMT, I got to type up shift reports on a correcting Selectric. Heaven! Looking back, it was one of the most useful classes I had in high school, though I do think algebra may be a very close second.

I'm a nine-fingered touch typist (I very, very occasionally use my left thumb on the space bar). In fact, I'm typing this wtih my eyse colsed.

And I HATE texting. I can accomplish more in a 30-second phone discussion than I can in a 10-minute text exchange, partly because I'm so slow. Typing is about 40-50 WPM, texting might be 100 WPH.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:26 pm And I HATE texting. I can accomplish more in a 30-second phone discussion than I can in a 10-minute text exchange, partly because I'm so slow. Typing is about 40-50 WPM, texting might be 100 WPH.
I use messages.google.com. I type the text on my computer and it sends it via my phone's text messaging system. If I'm away from my computer, I tend not to text anything longer than "heading home" or "aliens have landed".