LL Season 96

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: LL Season 96

Post by Volante »

DysonSphere wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:05 am I've been happy with LL so far, but this is the first season where I suspect some of my opponents might be, let's say, aiding their answers. Rundle C, so top half but there are two divisions above me skill-wise, and people are routinely rolling 6's against me. Do people accept perfect scores in LL as normal in non-top-tier rundles? I score very well on Jeopardy questions by most metrics, and most other trivia formats, and LLamas are totally cleaning my clock this season. I can proudly say I have *never* done anything that could be considered cheating, but I've felt the human urge to do so occasionally, and I have to wonder how many succumb to it.
Something you can check at times like that is the full standings:
https://learnedleague.com/allrundles.php?96
It shows league wide 9(6) and 0(0) results, gives you an idea to the overall strength of the questions

Some Cs can be as bad as Bs as well.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:02 am Thy.. thia...th... thim thiam... thi something ine?...no no, that's the DNA base, that's not it... Maybe it's beta carotene and that's where the 'B' comes from...

Stupid brain is smarter than I am...
Geeze, and according to the forum, thymine was accepted. Not entirely sure I'm on board with that...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:45 am
Volante wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:02 am Thy.. thia...th... thim thiam... thi something ine?...no no, that's the DNA base, that's not it... Maybe it's beta carotene and that's where the 'B' comes from...

Stupid brain is smarter than I am...
Geeze, and according to the forum, thymine was accepted. Not entirely sure I'm on board with that...
Agreed. Maybe it passes the “sounds alike” test if you pronounce thiamine as two syllables, but I don’t buy it, especially since thymine is a totally different thing.
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:50 pm TIL that 10 PM PDT comes faster than 12:00 CDT when you are already in the PDT zone. We hit rainy LA Monday too late to try to catch a Jeopardy audience viewing so we drove to Las Vegas to get out of the rain. I finally got to my Llama duties after supper (which is often the case), and was pleased to have a shot at 3 or 4 right, depending on London and another guess. I submit at 10:16 and a message says (badly paraphrased) : "this submission is received late and the results may not appear in the morning". Yikes! Lesson learned - there "may" be a 16 minute grace period, but I'm'ma not going to push it again!

It worked out, so I got my Northrop/London/Gothic credit and a 5 point win against a goose egg.
We'll be back in LA environs next week, so maybe I can get into a taping on a walk-up basis. I hope my DVR taping of Brigadier is still on the DVR. My luck, some hacker will get in and fill my DVR with Hallmark Channel movies :evil: .
So it’s just my bad luck that you remembered the deadline yesterday and dropped a six pack on me.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

DysonSphere wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:05 am I've been happy with LL so far, but this is the first season where I suspect some of my opponents might be, let's say, aiding their answers. Rundle C, so top half but there are two divisions above me skill-wise, and people are routinely rolling 6's against me. Do people accept perfect scores in LL as normal in non-top-tier rundles? I score very well on Jeopardy questions by most metrics, and most other trivia formats, and LLamas are totally cleaning my clock this season. I can proudly say I have *never* done anything that could be considered cheating, but I've felt the human urge to do so occasionally, and I have to wonder how many succumb to it.
When I win it's because I'm really good at trivia.
When I lose it's because the other person is cheating.
Spoiler
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:43 pm
When I win it's because I'm really good at trivia.
When I lose it's because the other person is cheating.
Spoiler
It's one of those irregular verbs...
Spoiler
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mahatma wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:20 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:50 pm TIL that 10 PM PDT comes faster than 12:00 CDT when you are already in the PDT zone. We hit rainy LA Monday too late to try to catch a Jeopardy audience viewing so we drove to Las Vegas to get out of the rain. I finally got to my Llama duties after supper (which is often the case), and was pleased to have a shot at 3 or 4 right, depending on London and another guess. I submit at 10:16 and a message says (badly paraphrased) : "this submission is received late and the results may not appear in the morning". Yikes! Lesson learned - there "may" be a 16 minute grace period, but I'm'ma not going to push it again!

It worked out, so I got my Northrop/London/Gothic credit and a 5 point win against a goose egg.
We'll be back in LA environs next week, so maybe I can get into a taping on a walk-up basis. I hope my DVR taping of Brigadier is still on the DVR. My luck, some hacker will get in and fill my DVR with Hallmark Channel movies :evil: .
So it’s just my bad luck that you remembered the deadline yesterday and dropped a six pack on me.
Beware the Ides of March :o . I submitted on time but did everything I could to blow it. I got away with three sloppy answers I would not have complained about being failed on:
1) I responded Dante's Inferno, instead of well, Inferno. I thought about this one and went with the former. I also thought Paradise Lost might have been the real answer.
2) I responded "Leeward", instead of duh, "Leeward Islands". This was a generous ruling for me IMHO.
3) So back to TMI for responding "My Mother the Car", instead of just "Car". The one clue I knew stone cold and I about blew it.

This is my second beer in 16 seasons, and first since my 8th season. The performance helped me eke out a win over .... a FORFEIT from the sixth place player :lol: . I'm fourth in TCA (51), and the only player with ZERO 3's earned (in spite of a beer!) - how easy am I to defend?? And, ironically, we both blocked each other from success in both regular play and Bizarro play - how cool is that?

It was a nice set of clues for sure, with enough to flesh out Young Turks and take a stab at the vitamin - the only other one I might have guessed was niacin. I picked the FT for your three because I was sure of it and there was no way for you to get crossed up. The car was a good choice by you I think suspiciously based on the Boomer friendliness of the clue. It ain't ageism if it's true :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm having trouble swallowing (pun intended) that 44% got garam masala right. Apparently masala alone didn't cut it, either.

Only four people out of the 15 I track got it right, and I track some heavy hitters (including several boardies). It is rare for the get rate among the people I track to be lower than the general LL population. Exceptionally rare.

Yes, I'm sort of pissed I missed this one despite still winning my match yesterday. I eat Indian food every week. I'm familiar with garam masala, but it was still a 50/50 for me between just "masala" and "curry."

It's been a pretty lackluster season for me so far and I can't see to get out of the middle of the pack. Defense has been my bright spot. I'm still in contention for the Sandra Award in Fjord with a .815 DE currently. Leader is at .818.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:21 am Yes, I'm sort of pissed I missed this one despite still winning my match yesterday. I eat Indian food every week. I'm familiar with garam masala, but it was still a 50/50 for me between just "masala" and "curry."
I threw vindaloo into the mix to make it 33/33/33. I went with masala, but that wasn't good enough, obviously. Yeah, it was tough to believe that percentage knew to make sure to have garam in the answer.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

+1 for vindaloo
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:41 am

Beware the Ides of March :o . I submitted on time but did everything I could to blow it. I got away with three sloppy answers I would not have complained about being failed on:
1) I responded Dante's Inferno, instead of well, Inferno. I thought about this one and went with the former. I also thought Paradise Lost might have been the real answer.
2) I responded "Leeward", instead of duh, "Leeward Islands". This was a generous ruling for me IMHO.
3) So back to TMI for responding "My Mother the Car", instead of just "Car". The one clue I knew stone cold and I about blew it.

I too knew "My Mother the Car" stone cold but somehow submitted just "Mother". Over the years I've found many ways to miss a question and lose a match (let me count the ways!) but this one takes the cake. It cost me only a tie but there's a reasonable chance that lost point will cost me a promotion.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:31 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:21 am Yes, I'm sort of pissed I missed this one despite still winning my match yesterday. I eat Indian food every week. I'm familiar with garam masala, but it was still a 50/50 for me between just "masala" and "curry."
I threw vindaloo into the mix to make it 33/33/33. I went with masala, but that wasn't good enough, obviously. Yeah, it was tough to believe that percentage knew to make sure to have garam in the answer.
I just went with curry. Knew it wasn't right, but for some reason masala (garam or otherwise) didn't even cross my mind even though we have a huge bottle of it and use it once a month or so.

Semi-related, throw some curry powder or garam masala powder on your baked potato the next time you have it and thank me later. I started that a couple years ago and refuse to go back when we have them at home.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:21 am I'm having trouble swallowing (pun intended) that 44% got garam masala right. Apparently masala alone didn't cut it, either.

Only four people out of the 15 I track got it right, and I track some heavy hitters (including several boardies). It is rare for the get rate among the people I track to be lower than the general LL population. Exceptionally rare.

Yes, I'm sort of pissed I missed this one despite still winning my match yesterday. I eat Indian food every week. I'm familiar with garam masala, but it was still a 50/50 for me between just "masala" and "curry."

It's been a pretty lackluster season for me so far and I can't see to get out of the middle of the pack. Defense has been my bright spot. I'm still in contention for the Sandra Award in Fjord with a .815 DE currently. Leader is at .818.
So I idly took a look at your 'lackluster season' and here's the stat that struck me: you have 3 consecutive 9(5)s! And you have a total of 5 9(5)s on the season. That's incredible. I have to go back 5 seasons to find 5 Dolly Partons. I'm too lazy to go back and see if I've ever had consecutive 9(5)s, but I'm pretty damn sure I've never seen 3.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bomtr wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:59 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:21 am I'm having trouble swallowing (pun intended) that 44% got garam masala right. Apparently masala alone didn't cut it, either.

So I idly took a look at your 'lackluster season' and here's the stat that struck me: you have 3 consecutive 9(5)s! And you have a total of 5 9(5)s on the season. That's incredible. I have to go back 5 seasons to find 5 Dolly Partons. I'm too lazy to go back and see if I've ever had consecutive 9(5)s, but I'm pretty damn sure I've never seen 3.
I've only had 4 9(5)s in my career (2W, 2T).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bomtr wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:59 pm So I idly took a look at your 'lackluster season' and here's the stat that struck me: you have 3 consecutive 9(5)s! And you have a total of 5 9(5)s on the season. That's incredible. I have to go back 5 seasons to find 5 Dolly Partons. I'm too lazy to go back and see if I've ever had consecutive 9(5)s, but I'm pretty damn sure I've never seen 3.
You're right. That didn't even register with me until you mentioned it!

...and I'd always considered myself more of a "Jolene" man. 8-)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Now four in a row.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I gave him one of those Dollys (Dollies?), and even after the fact don’t feel too bad about my defensive choices.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:06 pm
bomtr wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:59 pm So I idly took a look at your 'lackluster season' and here's the stat that struck me: you have 3 consecutive 9(5)s! And you have a total of 5 9(5)s on the season. That's incredible. I have to go back 5 seasons to find 5 Dolly Partons. I'm too lazy to go back and see if I've ever had consecutive 9(5)s, but I'm pretty damn sure I've never seen 3.
You're right. That didn't even register with me until you mentioned it!

...and I'd always considered myself more of a "Jolene" man. 8-)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:08 am Now four in a row.
I'm sure there's a way to compute them, but the odds have to be astronomical.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:17 am
Bamaman wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:08 am Now four in a row.
I'm sure there's a way to compute them, but the odds have to be astronomical.
How many do I need before I win a trip to Dollywood?
mahatma wrote:I gave him one of those Dollys (Dollies?), and even after the fact don’t feel too bad about my defensive choices.
Who are you, mahatma? I forget now.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

FischesserM

Doxxing myself