Thursday, March 2, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 2, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Thursday, March 2, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NONFICTION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It has the line, "The discovery of America… opened up fresh ground for the rising bourgeoisie"

Hannah Nekritz: 9000-9000=0
Caleb Richmond: 23618+5617=29235 (Semifinalist)
Maggie Brown: minus 1600

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Communist Manifesto (Hannah – the Communist Mani)

Daily Doubles
Caleb: 5200+5018
Caleb: 20808+10018
Caleb: 31636-10018

Coryats
Hannah: 9000
Caleb: 21200
Maggie: minus 1600

Combined: 28,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Hannah: 1400
Caleb: 12418
Maggie: minus 400
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

ooof I did not like that semifinal lineup Johnny Gilbert mentioned.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

IN THE SPORT had the wrong 3 players on stage and Caleb is right about how Internet reaction will go.

Caleb made three DD wagers and all ended with "18" for whatever that meant.

In Season 35 Caleb won his QF match to reach the semis. Hannah made the semis by wildcard and Maggie did not get out of the QF round. Today? Caleb tore up his favorable draw.

After going the wrong way on yesterday's FJ! clue I kinda wanted another miss in the HSRT to not have the dreaded 13/14 right. I got my wish quickly as I took the Hammer today with no response. The wording threw me off to not be thinking about things from the right continent.

It's another of those fails where I don't key enough on the last word. I have no way of knowing it would have taken me to figure it out and Hannah almost got there in 30 seconds.

First semi group was shown at the end:
Spoiler
Lucas, Jackson, Avi
I'm with cf1140 above in not liking that one and I suspect the other groups for the semis will not please everyone either. I can hope that any monkey business by the powers backfires and to negate any perceived agenda.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

QF round complete: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7742

IN THE SPORT: 0/5 with 3 incorrect guesses for minus 2400 - The players, not me. :) I ran that category.

DJ26 Caleb made a calculated gesture to his face or was it just a typical touch of the face that everyone does countless times a day? For someone reason my Spidey sense went on that Caleb reacted either to that response being accepted as correct or to something about the clue. Or I could be completely wrong and Caleb is welcome to post here and set things straight.

Caleb has posted on Reddit that wagers ending in $18 are a Jewish good luck thing with that number.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I genuinely fear a poll for DD3 as I had no idea and it seemed a bit esoteric for a Daily Double IMO.

Anyone ever heard of "logorrhea"?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:49 pm I genuinely fear a poll for DD3 as I had no idea and it seemed a bit esoteric for a Daily Double IMO.

That is not typically the kind of clue I poll unless discussion arises and a request comes in. Even when that happens it's the more the type that would not be the three extra clues and more likely at the end for a clue that generated extra chatter.

I agree that was an odd choice for a DD and it sure was a hubris penalty.

J29 here is one archive hit: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2025

and it gave the word. Whether J!, or some other source, today was not the first time I've come across the word (not that it helped me solve the DD). If it was a Reader's Digest "Word Power" word that would not surprise me.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:49 pm I genuinely fear a poll for DD3 as I had no idea and it seemed a bit esoteric for a Daily Double IMO.

My first thought was, It was a spelling bee winning word, and sure enough that was in the clue. Rough clue when the category is DOCUMENTARY SUBJECTS. I went looking in ODD WORDS first and was surprised it wasn't there.

DJ26 invites some nitpicking, re: the difference between a cross (what Blessitt carried) and a crucifix (the contestant's response). I'm sure there must be some dictionaries that list them as synonyms, though.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:10 pm DJ26 invites some nitpicking, re: the difference between a cross (what Blessitt carried) and a crucifix (the contestant's response). I'm sure there must be some dictionaries that list them as synonyms, though.
If any dictionaries do this, they are incorrect. Response should not have been accepted.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Caleb’s big bet on DD3 nearly got him in trouble with Hannah’s late run. But it fell short of breaking the lock and FJ made it not matter anyway.

I wasn’t getting this one.

Agree crucifix should have been negged. I wonder if it was an alternate response or if a judge gave her a thumbs up to accept it. I suspect Ken negs it without asking for help.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Seems hard to decide between The Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital based on the content of the clue.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Leander wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:28 pm Seems hard to decide between The Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital based on the content of the clue.
In this tournament they've been going for the blindingly obvious.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:57 pm QF round complete: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7742

IN THE SPORT: 0/5 with 3 incorrect guesses for minus 2400 - The players, not me. :) I ran that category.
Anyone else have a really hard time imagining how three J!-qualified players completely whiffed on all five clues in the sports-themed category???

Mark, I also ran the category. What the hell are they teaching people in school today, and what must their extracurricular lives be like, not even to be able to come up with baseball or golf in this category? Are they all studying quiddich?

My heart weeps for America.

BTW (and I know this is a really old cultural reference), did anyone else think Caleb brought back memories of Eddie Haskell, only with brains? And I had the same reaction to Caleb as I had with Eddie, watching the old Leave it to Beaver show.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

John Boy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:22 pm Anyone else have a really hard time imagining how three J!-qualified players completely whiffed on all five clues in the sports-themed category???
Sadly, there are plenty of adults who could pass the test and whiff those five clues. Not saying they were difficult, but lots of trivia people don't do sports.

I first encountered the word logorrhea when I was a teen I believe in a non trivia setting and it stuck.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:28 pm Seems hard to decide between The Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital based on the content of the clue.
I went with the latter.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

John Boy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:22 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:57 pm QF round complete: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7742

Anyone else have a really hard time imagining how three J!-qualified players completely whiffed on all five clues in the sports-themed category???

Mark, I also ran the category. What the hell are they teaching people in school today, and what must their extracurricular lives be like, not even to be able to come up with baseball or golf in this category? Are they all studying quiddich?

My heart weeps for America.

BTW (and I know this is a really old cultural reference), did anyone else think Caleb brought back memories of Eddie Haskell, only with brains? And I had the same reaction to Caleb as I had with Eddie, watching the old Leave it to Beaver show.
Agree re: the sports... Those were super-easy, even if you have barely even heard of the sports mentioned...

And yes, Caleb is the modern-day Eddie. I was half-expecting "Gee, you really nice today, Mrs. Cleaver" to come flying out of his piehole at any time...
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I said John Peter Zenger was charged with sedition. Judges?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:41 am I said John Peter Zenger was charged with sedition. Judges?
Looking it up, I see that the colonial governor proclaimed Zenger's paper to be "scandalous, virulent, false and seditious," but Zenger was charged with libel and nothing else.