Thursday, March 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Thursday, March 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1980s MOVIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A writer & producer of this movie said he wanted it to be like a Western or James Bond film, "only it takes place in the '30s"

Stephen Webb: 22400-12801=9599 (8x = $184,881)
Andrew Brady: minus 2000
Sarah Mathews: 17600-15000=2600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Raiders of the Lost Ark (Stephen – Top Secret) (Sarah – Bugsy Malone)

Daily Doubles
Sarah: 4600+3000
Sarah: 7800+5000
Sarah: 15600+4000

Coryats
Stephen: 22400
Andrew: minus 2000
Sarah: 8800

Combined: 29,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Stephen: 8000
Andrew: minus 400
Sarah: 9000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Stephen had 8000 after the J! round and he had 14000 after starting the DJ! Round with 5/5 in SCIENTIFIC LAWS & THEOREMS.

Stephen was able to maintain his lead as Sarah did 7800+5000 on DD2 for 2nd place and she did 15600+4000 on DD3 (at DJ29!) for 2nd place once again with Stephen at 24400.

12 DDs in a row now that Stephen has not played and Ken's opening was all over the streak.

Okay, Sarah is in 2nd on a double stumper FJ! clue when Stephen will very likely fall to 9599 if he misses it. Sarah can even cover a 0 wager by Stephen and still have enough left over to win.

Nope, a pretty number with 15 large. :roll:

COMIC INFLUENCES had five of the recent Celeb J! players read clues.

The FJ! category looked very promising as there was no doubt I would be familiar with whatever movie was in play whether I have seen it or not.

I wrote the correct movie and spent think time telling myself I would be crazy to consider sequels. That was only after I got there because I had a helpful detour in thinking 2030s. The star there helped me get on track with the correct 1930s.

My understanding of the taping schedule was 12/16 was a 6-game day. Stephen is holding up well and we'll see if his challengers tomorrow have something in the tank waiting to play vs already played a lot.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

James Bond threw me and I went Untouchables.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

That FJ bet has got to go down in the annals of Wacky Wagers as an all-timer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks to a YT upload: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7766

With no CC there was some guesswork for what I was hearing in the media clues.

I was not sure how to describe the contestant reactions when the correct FJ! response was given. Ken was funny in handling the incorrect guesses.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:30 pm That FJ bet has got to go down in the annals of Wacky Wagers as an all-timer.
Sadly, we get wagers equally wacky multiple times a week on average.

The DD wagers were not any better either.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:25 pm James Bond threw me and I went Untouchables.
I thought of the right one and immediately discounted it ("naw, can't be that one") and settled on "Chinatown". Which I continued to doubt only because I thought "unless it was older than that".

Which it was.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:44 pm Thanks to a YT upload: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7766

Should category 6 in Single Jeopardy be WHAT KING OF FOUL AM I?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:56 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:44 pm Thanks to a YT upload: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7766

Should category 6 in Single Jeopardy be WHAT KING OF FOUL AM I?
Fixed FOOL to FOWL, not FOUL. Thanks.
Leander

Post by Leander »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:25 pm James Bond threw me and I went Untouchables.
1930’s led me to The Untouchables, then I felt certain it was correct when I noticed the Bond connection (which I told myself was a very clever clue) :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:07 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:30 pm That FJ bet has got to go down in the annals of Wacky Wagers as an all-timer.
Sadly, we get wagers equally wacky multiple times a week on average.

The DD wagers were not any better either.
She was willing to risk falling below 50% of the leader with one clue left but wouldn’t bet enough to take the lead. (A bet of $11,000 guarantees a pre-FJ lead if right and still has second place locked up if wrong).

But then she bets huge in FJ when a nice round $8,000 gives her the win if the leader is wrong no matter what he bets.

Took a bit to remember the exact name of the movie but done before the end of the first verse.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

During tonight's episode march 16 2023 (though this does not reveal any game changing spoilers) they did a clue about generation z (igen). Coincidentally I research this around 2014/2015 when my teacher started bragging about what generation he was from (which prompted me to search deeper into it.) and the numbers were all over the place to the point that a mother made a lyrical over is the line is too blurry. but I can tell you this much it was usually somewhere between 1997/8 to 2005. but usually more 1999-2003. I see a few that go that far back for a border recently but it feels really out of the usual zone and more of a outlier. I do not have the website from the first time from what I can tell (I did not ransacked every old device to check but I mean an easy reach) but I switched again and found these that show different age ranges than the one on the show.

I put some article to prove my point.
(https://www.npr.org/2014/10/06/349316543/don-t-label-me-origins-of-generational-names-and-why-we-use-them) 2000 this one I remember from the first search. I am kind of surprised jeopardy is not trusting npr.

(https://www.kasasa.com/exchange/articles/generations/gen-x-gen-y-gen-z) for the 1997.
(https://hellogiggles.com/meet-the-millennials-why-were-different-than-other-generations/) 2000

(https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/where-do-generation-lines-begin-and-end.113678/) 1997

(http://www.brainblogger.com/2015/05/23/generation-z-replacing-the-millennials/) even though acknowledges both, says the words "blurry at best"

according to the Wikipedia Elwood Carlson used 1983–2001 using 9-11 as the divide. (One of my more favourite definitions since how defining that event was in how society was run.)

Neil Howe ended it in 2004

I found another one that even use this other borderline jeopardy used but then says for the millennial's up to "early 2000s." (fourhooks) muddying the playing field. basically saying that people in this time period or from both generations.

I want these little less deep then the first time as I kind of want this up same day and not a week after the clue was read, the time required to do a very deep dive. everyone's views are appreciated. (I made this post over the course of an hour so hopefully everything spelt correct.) (This was written to be a full topic but but I put it for the game instead. At least it fits.) (I really was hoping to begin my form career on this website with more positive stuff but this thing actually ruin the episode for me to the point they begin writing this the minute the clue was revealed.)

(edit and added next day)

I forgot this in a rush but another thing that I think really separates it the most is remembering pre smart phone time (meaning pre portable electronics). which is a big marker in society. remembering desktop computers being the Computer staple. Having the 'main Desktop of the house' as you will. Remembering everything not wireless and remembering that First look at a itouch or iphone, remembering the wow. I think remembering that is the best divider is or maybe it is being born near the 2000 given the name millennial. Anyhow I might not be the best expert in the world but this is where I ended up. though even though they can sometimes come up with clues that can be debatable, the overwhelming majority turn out great but even ignoring the dates recent generation names are not really the most consistent anyway and this was a naming clue (not to mention igen is also in the category LETTER PERFECT meaning we have two possible responses).
Last edited by Game Girl on Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stephanie
Valued Contributor

Post by stephanie »

Is it me or are some of you also wondering if they had trouble finding a photo of the entire Monty Python troupe? No Graham Chapman, Michael Palin, or John Cleese in the photo, yet they show Neil Innes (yes, known as the "seventh Python", but not technically a Python).🤷🏻‍♀️
Not Jeopardy! material :(
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

stephanie wrote: Is it me or are some of you also wondering if they had trouble finding a photo of the entire Monty Python troupe? No Graham Chapman, Michael Palin, or John Cleese in the photo, yet they show Neil Innes (yes, known as the "seventh Python", but not technically a Python).🤷🏻‍♀️
A huge Monty Python fan here and I had never seen that photo before. The only one I quickly recognized was Terry Jones.

Another 'Untouchables' here. I felt that was a poorly pinned clue, at best.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

stephanie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:33 pm Is it me or are some of you also wondering if they had trouble finding a photo of the entire Monty Python troupe? No Graham Chapman, Michael Palin, or John Cleese in the photo, yet they show Neil Innes (yes, known as the "seventh Python", but not technically a Python).🤷🏻‍♀️
I bloopered that question by saying Firesign Theater. Then I was thinking what a board that would be because they would have had both Kiefer Sutherland's father and the man who played his father on 24, who was a member of the Firesign Theater.

Then it occurred to me that basically nobody remembers Firesign Theater and Jeopardy has never asked about it anyway.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:44 am
stephanie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:33 pm Is it me or are some of you also wondering if they had trouble finding a photo of the entire Monty Python troupe? No Graham Chapman, Michael Palin, or John Cleese in the photo, yet they show Neil Innes (yes, known as the "seventh Python", but not technically a Python).🤷🏻‍♀️
I bloopered that question by saying Firesign Theater. Then I was thinking what a board that would be because they would have had both Kiefer Sutherland's father and the man who played his father on 24, who was a member of the Firesign Theater.

Then it occurred to me that basically nobody remembers Firesign Theater and Jeopardy has never asked about it anyway.
Was never a big Firesign Theatre fan, but loved their counterparts from across the hall at KPPC, the Credibility Gap.