Friday, March 17, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Friday, March 17, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

Oomph, that's a tough way to have an eight game streak come to an end. Stephen's run was full of close calls though, and his luck finally ran out.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:55 pm
Game Girl wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:10 pm This episode was nice. though I thought lp was for Long play after taking a detour to laser disks but not pizza even though I heard of the movie. ('songs from movies' 2000)
LP is for "long-playing" record. The clue did not imply that LP stands for "licorice pizza", although that is an interesting coincidence. Instead, an LP visually resembles a pizza made of licorice. See the first paragraph here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licorice_Pizza_(store)

The record store never makes an appearance or even has a mention in the movie, the working title of which was Soggy Bottom (for the waterbed company in the movie).

Can you imagine anybody going to see a movie called Soggy Bottom?
It sounds like a Sponge Bob movie (SB goes on vacation?)...Or maybe Bob joins the undersea diplomatic corps... :) But they wouldn't want to risk confusion-
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081533/
I don't know much about this movie, but it has some credible people in it...
I don't think calling it Licorice Pizza did it any favors at the box office...

No, I did not remember the Equality State...instead I thought of the first woman Representative Jeannette Rankin and said Montana... :roll:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Depends.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

Game Girl wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:10 pm This episode was nice. though I thought lp was for Long play after taking a detour to laser disks but not pizza even though I heard of the movie. ('songs from movies' 2000)
LP is for "long-playing" record. The clue did not imply that LP stands for "licorice pizza", although that is an interesting coincidence. Instead, an LP visually resembles a pizza made of licorice. See the first paragraph here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licorice_Pizza_(store)

The record store never makes an appearance or even has a mention in the movie, the working title of which was Soggy Bottom (for the waterbed company in the movie).

My first thought would be that Soggy Bottom was a movie about the British Baking Show and I'd be interested until I found out otherwise.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:55 pm Can you imagine anybody going to see a movie called Soggy Bottom?
Would George Clooney, Tim Blake Nelson, and John Turturro be in it?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

I was there for the first taping of the year. We knew Kelly was the returning champ, but didn't know who she beat. I've been waiting for her to show up. While I knew it would happen, didn't feel spoiled knowing she was going to win.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

idearat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:46 pm I was there for the first taping of the year. We knew Kelly was the returning champ, but didn't know who she beat. I've been waiting for her to show up. While I knew it would happen, didn't feel spoiled knowing she was going to win.
Hmm ... another Boardie appearance upcoming?
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:42 pm Hmm ... another Boardie appearance upcoming?
It never ends! :o
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:43 am
Depends.
This might be my favorite post of all time. Thank you.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:27 pm When I saw how easy Final Jeopardy was, I pre-called Steven winning again, because an easy final favors whoever is ahead. Did he really not know that Wyoming is the Equality State and that Colorado is the Centennial State?
Why would *Stephen ever respond with the name of the Centennial State to a clue that had "100 years" in its text? Truly the answer is unknowable.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:26 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:27 pm When I saw how easy Final Jeopardy was, I pre-called Steven winning again, because an easy final favors whoever is ahead. Did he really not know that Wyoming is the Equality State and that Colorado is the Centennial State?
Why would *Stephen ever respond with the name of the Centennial State to a clue that had "100 years" in its text? Truly the answer is unknowable.
You can't really believe that is the tease out metric a Super Champ would use on that question.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:28 pm
You can't really believe that is the tease out metric a Super Champ would use on that question.
You can't really believe that he doesn't know that Colorado, the state he lives in, is the Centennial State.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:34 pm
You can't really believe that he doesn't know that Colorado, the state he lives in, is the Centennial State.
The whole thing is inexplicable. He can't believe that Colorado was admitted as a state in 1890. He must have just been extremely fatigued at the end of that game.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:45 pm
The whole thing is inexplicable. He can't believe that Colorado was admitted as a state in 1890. He must have just been extremely fatigued at the end of that game.
I thought I explained it pretty well, but you came in hard with the doubt.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:48 pm

Golf was the first to point out the head scratching nature of the equality state/centennial state mixup.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:21 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:48 pm

Golf was the first to point out the head scratching nature of the equality state/centennial state mixup.
So? That was before I made the centennial state/100 years connection.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

I would imagine a movie called that would be about the British baking show (British bake off). or at least some of the cooking show. (I would guarantee that half the audience that would go to that movie with think it is also about the baking show since the phrase is very synonymous with that show.) in terms of the Long play versus Long Playing. according to (https://www.freevideoworkshop.com/dvd-sp-xp-lp-ep/) and quite a few sites I have seen it as long play. all of the VHS tapes I ever had were not dvr but bought. I am old enough to remember vhs being a regular format that people used (and did not get teased at) vividly but at the same time they were selling them VHS or DVD if that gives you any hint on my generation. (I have seen lp footage and other sources with the mark lp.) The reason I was doing VHS research in the first place was I got a tape around high school that ended up being pal from Amazon. (before they begin giving the nice reminder about regions.) I was a least able to listen to the audio slightly fast. (this was disappointing considering I bought a tape player just for this one thing since then one I has a kid was in the television set itsself that was stored in the dresser that weirdly fit it perfectly.) anyhow thanks for correcting me.

(I actually just asked my father, he said the timers were "more trouble than they were worth." and why he would require so he was "already watched." (since he was not a tape traitor). and would just buy it if he wanted it badly (this statement likely include renting from a video renting store like Blockbuster or Netflix.) these were all his words, granted I put him on the spot in the middle of the night. but at least it confirmed that I did not 'Forget' any DVR memories and that these memories did not exist.')
Last edited by Game Girl on Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

When I think of LPs, I do not think of video formats, but maybe that's just me.