Wednesday, March 22, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 22, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:51 pm This content-coordinated ad (don't see too many of those) appeared on tonight's show. (Maybe it's been around a while and I've just never paid attention.)
Spoiler
Guy: [Turning off TV with remote while laying on bed] You know, I think I'd do pretty well at this game.

Gal: [Sitting on chair next to bed] "What is 'Dan is lying to himself again'?"

Guy: [Sitting up and gesturing to invite a challenge] Betcha I'm not.

Gal: [Incredulous] Okay! "This mattress company made luxury mattresses affordable."

Guy: Saatva!

Gal: [Imitating buzzer] Errrn!

Guy: [Protesting] That's right!

Gal: [Tapping guy on his nose] It wasn't in the form of a question.

Guy: [Breaking fourth wall, flopping down on the bed in defeat] Ugh!

Narrator: Saatva: luxury mattresses made affordable.

Presumably, this will end up on the mattress co. website with their other comnmercials. It must be seen to be believed. The dialog was so hostile I didn't think they were meant to be a couple, but they are the stars of multiple ads... :roll:
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:54 pm They're pronounced short-lived and long-lived with long I sounds.
LOL, just LOL, at your inability to consult a dictionary, or any source on the internet before your confident pronouncements. It was 5 to 1 short i to long i (only Ken) on the show, which seems about right.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

floridagator wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:54 pm They're pronounced short-lived and long-lived with long I sounds.

I call hubris on Karen making that $10,000 daily double. She had a runaway and she put the game in play with that foolish bet.
… and there we have it, folks! The most predictable comment on that DD3 wager. It *might* have been a hubristic wager, but it might have been a math error or just misplaced confidence in the category. Had she got it right, people would be talking about her “aggressive” wagering (such as we saw from Roger Craig and James Holzauer). Regardless, it was certainly ill-advised.

Lots of Lach trash tonight and an easy get on FJ.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I'd never heard Heller's quote but I like it a lot. My dad was the navigator on a B-17 (398th BG), he was proud of his service but thought the book was terrific.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Maybe she thought a DD in that space wouldn't be too bad, or just blanked on it when it came up. Players will not necessarily have perfect recall on every bit of info the exact moment they need it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:39 pm
LOL, just LOL, at your inability to consult a dictionary, or any source on the internet before your confident pronouncements. It was 5 to 1 short i to long i (only Ken) on the show, which seems about right.
I actually have to agree with floridagator here—it's pronounced with a long i because it means "having a long life," with "lived" being "life" turned into an adjective. Imagine describing someone with fishy breath as "fishy-breathed"—is "breathed" pronounced with a long E like the verb, or a short E like the noun?

I'm trying to remember another player who bet too much on the last DD and got it wrong, but won anyway. Oh, got it: Terri Pous. In her case the scores on DD3 (which was DJ29 with a $2,000 last clue) were $23,600 to $12,800, so she didn't have a lock to preserve, but she could have made a wager that guaranteed her a lock on a correct response that still would have guaranteed the lead on an incorrect response, between $6,000 and $8,800. She bet $10,000 and missed, but the $2,000 clue was a triple stumper so she held her lead, and then she had a sole get on FJ and won (despite not covering with a $10,001 wager).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:19 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:52 pm Another one: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7776
Looks like you weathered the storm with no impact on the Archiving?
Lots of wind and rain, yes. Power outage? No. A smallish branch from a neighbor's tree fell harmlessly into the backyard. More rain next week and most of CA out of drought levels finally. Overall, the archiving has been going well with not too many problems. Of course, #39 at any time could change things.
Sorry about the wind problem, but me and twelvefootgirl obviously brought the wet weather to SoCal, and you must have gotten the spillover. I came here (LA at present) for a 25 day golf and chillout vacation, maybe catch a J! taping next week. I should not have packed golf clubs :roll: .

Remember when motels advertised "Color TV" on their billboards? We watched the show tonight in our hotel room exactly WHEN it was broadcast, and without benefit of pause, rewind, or fast forward or jump buttons. It felt like time travel back to 1970. At least we got rewarded with an interesting game. As in the (alleged) Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times". I think Florida Gator was on to something with the prospect of a miscalculation by Karen. She may not have realized how much separation her DD2 offered her, and well, it is the second row. It was tough to watch when it hit her.

It may have been my displaced viewing environment, but I had trouble with the clues today, and Karen seemed like a possible TOC qualifier. I NHO the DD3 she missed but got to Heller in time. WW2 authors seem to Pavlov to Heller or Vonnegut for my short (and long) list. IMHO, I don't think hubris should be called onthe basis of a sample size of one trial. Large animal vets are rightfully proud of their calling, so I am fine with her interview. Now if her cows beat Ken Jenning's and Brad Rutter's cows, I'd be suspicious ;).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:31 pm
davey wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:39 pm
I actually have to agree with floridagator here—it's pronounced with a long i because it means "having a long life," with "lived" being "life" turned into an adjective. Imagine describing someone with fishy breath as "fishy-breathed"—is "breathed" pronounced with a long E like the verb, or a short E like the noun?
But it's not a matter of your or floridagator's or my opinion, not when offered as a "correction." It's about how people actually speak. Dictionaries provide a good indication of that. The OED doesn't even give the long i pronunciation in their entry. Other dictionaries do, but not first.
One dictionary that I checked that does give the long i first, American Heritage, explains why both pronunciations are used.
https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=long-lived
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:54 am One dictionary that I checked that does give the long i first, American Heritage, explains why both pronunciations are used.
On his most recent podcast, Ken pronounced "wreak havoc" as "wreck havoc", prompting an analogous discussion on Facebook in which he chimed in a few times to defend himself. M-W lists the "wreck" pronunciation (as secondary) but OED doesn't list it at all. Personally, I don't see why it shouldn't be pronounced "rake", to rhyme with "break", which, as we all know, is how the first syllable of "breakfast" is pronounced.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:12 am
davey wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:54 am One dictionary that I checked that does give the long i first, American Heritage, explains why both pronunciations are used.
On his most recent podcast, Ken pronounced "wreak havoc" as "wreck havoc", prompting an analogous discussion on Facebook in which he chimed in a few times to defend himself. M-W lists the "wreck" pronunciation (as secondary) but OED doesn't list it at all. Personally, I don't see why it shouldn't be pronounced "rake", to rhyme with "break", which, as we all know, is how the first syllable of "breakfast" is pronounced.
Give me a brek!... :)
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

I’d call it at a “half-Clavin” and probably the closest to the real deal we are likely to see.

She could have locked and with the right smaller wager still have been a massive favorite to still end up with a lock. The “401” wager had to be well over 90% to win, still would have been hard to get within 50% of her score.

I lol’d but also felt very bad for her. She had played a very good game up to that point. I’d guess she just went on auto-pilot as she seemed to answer very quickly.
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:12 am
... Personally, I don't see why it shouldn't be pronounced "rake", to rhyme with "break"...
Doesn't Ken have a little blind spot where "rake" is concerned?
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I don't think I ever heard the long I pronunciation until Ken's reading. Regionalism?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/short-lived (see "usage" note)

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pro ... hort-lived (click on the speaker icons)
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:36 pm
I don't think I ever heard the long I pronunciation until Ken's reading. Regionalism?
Alex used that pronunciation too.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:03 pm Alex used that pronunciation too.
I think sometimes he did and sometimes he didn't. I just recall it striking me when he would change it up.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:05 pm
I think sometimes he did and sometimes he didn't. I just recall it striking me when he would change it up.
I was thinking he may have used both, but I was at least positive that he'd used the long-i version.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Wednesday march 22,23 game

Post by flemmingfan »

Long i's short i's, bric-a-brac, that was a terrible wager. In retrospect I bet she regrets it. She had the game in hand but Melissa survives another day, which pleases me. Even when she was far behind, she kept her cool demeanor and forged on.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:22 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:05 pm
I was thinking he may have used both, but I was at least positive that he'd used the long-i version.
Reminds me of the time the DJ at the local classical station announced that she'd just played "a couple of concerti from the Brandenburg concertos".

Member of my pub trivia team has "long-lived" with a long I as her personal bête noire.
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

I recall a game during Amy Schneider's run in which a contestant had a lead going into FJ, got the answer correctly (had her beat!) but under bet and lost. Sometimes, you just have to scratch your head and go figure. But for that, there would have been no 40 wins or whatever by Amy.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

a1srvng wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:37 pm I recall a game during Amy Schneider's run in which a contestant had a lead going into FJ, got the answer correctly (had her beat!) but under bet and lost.
Are you sure you're remembering that correctly? Amy had the lead going into Final in all her games except her first (against Andrew He).