Friday, March 24, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 24, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Friday, March 24, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SYMBOLS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In math, it’s a rotated V; in society, it’s a feeling of some marginalized or underrepresented people

Alec Chau: 7800-4801=2999
Tamara Ghattas: 13800+1801=15601 (New Champ)
Michael Murphy: 7200-6601=599

Correct response:
Spoiler
less than (Alec – inequality) (Michael – subdivision)

Daily Doubles
Michael: 4800+4000
Tamara: 2400+2400
Tamara: 8800+3000

Coryats
Alec: 7800
Tamara: 11200
Michael: 4000

Combined: 23,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Alec: 7000
Tamara: 800
Michael: 8800
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Guessed it with no confidence.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I’m thankful that this FJ! wasn’t the difference between winning and going home for any of the players.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was the best of round it was the worst of rounds.

Alec had 7000 in the J! round and entered the FJ! round with 7800 while playing no DDs.
Michael had 8800 in the J! round and entered the FJ! round with 7200 while not playing DD2 or DD3.

Tamara was the opposite with only 800 in the J! round but 13800 for the FJ! round while hitting both DD2 and DD3 correctly.

Even in 2023 contestants can still be busted for not phrasing correctly. Ouch on Michael being the victim today.

I need to try a new approach on media clues instead of complaining about them. Please give me more. Back-to-back on Thursday and Friday is not enough. Nothing against the WWE, but I was not expecting another guest reader category today.

The FJ! clue had me match Tamara. I mentally rotated the symbol and it was like going back to whatever year of elementary school math it was I learned the symbol. Matching it to the current usage was familiar too and I would guess it I've heard it on The View many times.

Three clues left worth $3600 in the DJ! round did not matter today with Tamara's sole solve of the FJ! clue while another time it could make a huge difference.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Whoever wrote that FJ should be feeling “less than.“
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Couldn't it also have been "greater than"?
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

That is some vague wording with the "a feeling" part. I got what the clue writers were looking for...but with no confidence at all. I like it when I get two FJs in a row, but I didn't feel like I earned it today.

Six missed clues for Alec in two games isn't the best track record, but he was very likable and I wish him all the best.

Change A Letter in the first round was tough going...but idearat/Michael getting that DD saved it! Honestly, I think he did pretty solid in a fairly rough game, so he gets a thumbs up from me...besides forgetting that phrasing in DJ! But since he got the next clue after that, it seemingly didn't affect clue selection?
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another week complete: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7779

I've mentioned previously that seeing J1 correct response wrestle at the Cow Palace was an amazing feat to see in person his stepping over the top rope to enter the ring.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: mate/maze, Thor Heyerdahl, hobnob,

kudos on the players trying to avoid Before & Actors. Hope the show takes a hint...

betting: :D :D :D :mrgreen:
mahatma wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:34 pm I’m thankful that this FJ! wasn’t the difference between winning and going home for any of the players.
Austin Powers wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:48 pm Whoever wrote that FJ should be feeling “less than.“
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:30 pm Guessed it with no confidence.
Got it from my math knowledge, but agree this clue was slop, even without the political connotations. :?
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:38 pm Even in 2023 contestants can still be busted for not phrasing correctly. Ouch on Michael being the victim today.
I was so sure I had said "who is" I was waiting to watch today, only to be disappointed. This was likely a case of burning up brain cycles on the wrong thing. My head had me pondering whether to pronounce it "Thor" knowing I'd be Ok, or "Tor" and be a little pedantic. Wasting my brain on that I skipped over the basics.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

My brain turned "rotated" into "rotated 180 degrees", so I was trying to figure out how a conjunction symbol would make any sense.

Like others have said, this was a crap FJ clue. And seriously, we don't need wordplay categories every damn day.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

What a train wreck of a game, capped off with a dopey final clue. Count me as another 'solve with zero confidence'.
Hugo Z wrote: Couldn't it also have been "greater than"?
That was the other choice. It was a coin flip until you applied the language of the clue to determine which one was correct.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

That game dynamics graph is quite something.
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

Another solve with no confidence here. This was definitely the strangest FJ clue I’ve ever seen. I think the main problem is that “less than” doesn’t strike me as a political science or economics term used to describe any set of people; such a designation seems informal, thus making the clue rather confusing. Kudos to the new champ for getting it correct and on winning after a rough start!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Robert K S wrote: That game dynamics graph is quite something.
It looks like the space shuttle Challenger's ill-fated contrail.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

DCFan1911 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:50 pm Another solve with no confidence here. This was definitely the strangest FJ clue I’ve ever seen. I think the main problem is that “less than” doesn’t strike me as a political science or economics term used to describe any set of people; such a designation seems informal, thus making the clue rather confusing. Kudos to the new champ for getting it correct and on winning after a rough start!
I haven't been watching Jeopardy! for quite some time, but I still come by here on occasion to see how it is going. Items like today's FJ only reinforce my tendencies not to bother with the game show in its present condition.

On the one hand, the desired FJ response is an obvious WECIB. You would have to be deliberately obtuse not to recognize what the writers were seeking.

But on the other hand, it is yet another (far from "strangest... ever" as these are increasingly common) example of extraordinarily poor clue-writing.

Even if we just look at the unpinned "underrepresented" we find a problem. What does that even mean? Are Black folks underrepresented among Fields Medal winners? Are White folks underrepresented on NBA squads? Are Asian students underrepresented at Harvard? There is enough legitimate debate about what "underrepresented" actually means that to put it in a clue unpinned is an egregious error.

And then we come to "feeling" and "less than." I think it's fair to say that many if not most marginalized people feel fine about themselves; their complaint is that other people consider the marginalized to be less than the not-marginalized.

But what happens if we turn the V in the other direction? Couldn't we just as readily say that members of the Nation of Islam or the Proud Boys are marginalized yet feel "greater than" others around them?

It's not just that this was such a bad clue; what reinforces my disappointment at the decline of Jeopardy! is that the present clue review process didn't catch it and do something about it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got it right but had never heard the term in the context described in the answer.

Rhyming categories always start debates on here. What about burner? To me, bur and ner do not rhyme.

Nice comeback by the new champ.