Friday, March 31, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 31, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Friday, March 31, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

For those of you with access to the Catchy Comedy Channel (rebranded from Decades a few days ago), the "What is Cliff Claven" episode of Cheers is airing at 11:30 eastern tonight.
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CITY HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Over 700 years after its traditional 1252 founding date, this port city became associated with a psychological response

Sharon Stone: 15500+1100=16600 (2x = $33,600)
Brittany Shaw: 6800-6001=799
Jen Petro-Roy: 6400-500=5900

Correct response:
Spoiler
Stockholm (Brittany – Pavlova) (Jen – Somalia)

Daily Doubles
Sharon: 400+1000
Brittany: 2400+2000
Sharon: 9400+2500

Coryats
Sharon: 14600
Brittany: 6400
Jen: 6400

Combined: 27,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sharon: 6200
Brittany: minus 400
Jen: 5200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken's quip about the Mark Wahlberg movie quote clue and not being able to show a clip had me laughing out loud. :lol:

Brittany should be up for sign-in of the season award with stylish penpersonship. For the fast-forward brigade, take the minute for Brittany and cat and Ken chat.

Jen's GT miss was good for a laugh although easy to see where the reasoning was going for cars & video games.

This week had 3 games without 61 clues. It's hard to get to everything with double digit W and double digit TS.

The FJ! clue had me off base with Brittany in trying to make Pavlov work. Just to have something on my paper I wrote Moscow to have a Russian city as it was going to be quicker to scribble than St. Petersburg which would have been a better port city guess.

My problem was a detour to Freud places and I failed to grasp that I needed to make a city itself work for the psychological response. I can't ask for the clue to have some other hint since Sharon solved it just fine. Sister Kathryn from S31 has been surpassed quite handily.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: Coolidge :o, bunker, Hong Kong,
Quiet Riot (Bang Your Head!) :cool:, Magnum Force, override a veto, Solon,

betting: :D :D :D :mrgreen:

instaget, by far the easiest of the week.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

edited b/c I couldn't figure out how to spoiler-tag an image
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mahatma wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:09 pm edited b/c I couldn't figure out how to spoiler-tag an image
Spoiler
You have img tags surrounding your image URL. Then you surround that whole thing with spoiler tags.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Anachronism wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:33 am For those of you with access to the Catchy Comedy Channel (rebranded from Decades a few days ago), the "What is Cliff Claven" episode of Cheers is airing at 11:30 eastern tonight.
I'm boycotting them. The two shows I made a point of watching ("Through the Decades" and the Dick Cavett shows) didn't survive the transition.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Glanced away at a crucial moment. Was "siege tower" under the "tower" category or the "alphabetically consecutive word pairs" one? (Nailed that one, BTW, but I'm left wondering if I could have got away with "cheap date" in place of "low maintenance".)

Loved Brittany's story about her cat's name.

The J!6 clue for movies' final line of dialogue ("The horror! The horror!") had me hoping, in vain as it developed, for somewhat more recent films than dominated the category. I desperately wanted a clue reading "You're still here? It's over. Go home. Go."
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

da Doctah wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:07 pm
Anachronism wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:33 am For those of you with access to the Catchy Comedy Channel (rebranded from Decades a few days ago), the "What is Cliff Claven" episode of Cheers is airing at 11:30 eastern tonight.
I'm boycotting them. The two shows I made a point of watching ("Through the Decades" and the Dick Cavett shows) didn't survive the transition.
I think they're in bad shape, hence the rebranding (I thought "what is the Cathy Channel" when I first saw the new logo). Never really recovered from CBS abandoning them for StartTV. In our area, they were recently kicked off a regular transmitter and had to go to a little one that reaches half of its former viewers. So I haven't been able to watch in several months. My guess is that it won't last the year, which is a shame. I like some of those older shows.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

da Doctah wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:16 pm Glanced away at a crucial moment. Was "siege tower" under the "tower" category or the "alphabetically consecutive word pairs" one? (Nailed that one, BTW, but I'm left wondering if I could have got away with "cheap date" in place of "low maintenance".)
Alphabet category.
And 'no' on 'cheap date'. That doesn't work for the car.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Refusing to accept delegates for delegation was an awfully close call. Many times I have heard people refer to themselves as "one of the delegates from _________." Or the group of them as "the delegates from __________." Britanny's rebound of caucus was also arguable. Especially notable is that if Britney's rebound had been correct, it would have kept the champion from having a runaway.

It wouldn't have mattered in the end, because the champion had the only correct response. I got Final Jeopardy instantly by adding 700 to the year of founding. What else could it be?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:00 pm Refusing to accept delegates for delegation was an awfully close call. Many times I have heard people refer to themselves as "one of the delegates from _________." Or the group of them as "the delegates from __________."
I hope to never hear-
California's [delegates] was 494 strong... :geek:
davey

Post by davey »

da Doctah wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:07 pm
I never heard of the channel until a few weeks ago when I Love Lucy came up here...I watched Orson Welles on Dick Cavett...Now it's gone...II'm feeling sooo nostalgic... :cry:

City name...psychological response...was about all I needed for FJ...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:32 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:00 pm Refusing to accept delegates for delegation was an awfully close call. Many times I have heard people refer to themselves as "one of the delegates from _________." Or the group of them as "the delegates from __________."
I hope to never hear-
California's [delegates] was 494 strong... :geek:
The clue:
It's the group from one state at a convention; at the 2020 DNC, California's was 494 strong

For those of us with non-photographic memories, it helps to furnish context. (for those of us with CRS* it doesn't matter)
I don't know the merits of using caucus as a response, but the clue pinning precisely eliminates plural nouns (as you have shown) and I believe California eliminates cauci (?)/ caucus as a response.

Amusing anecdote - as posted on a separate thread, tfg and I are in Cali and plan to attend a taping on Monday 4/3. We got back in the room at 6:50 and I realized we might decode the motel's TV set and find Jeopardy so we could perhaps see the Champion we will watch on Monday. As the show opened I remembered the time warp :roll: . Maybe Sharon is on a 30 game streak and we'll see her. We'd more likely jinx her I'm sure ;) .

The GTO answer was spit-take quality, and Ken's lightning deadpan reply was top shelf. I was baffled by several categories, especially that movie title one.

FJ was instaget for me. I question the existence of a lot of psychobabble but it's fun to use as a meme.
floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:00 pm I got Final Jeopardy instantly by adding 700 to the year of founding. What else could it be?
???. Is this a hack I don't know about? I can just add 700 and get a backdoor to the answer?? Sory to go all TPH, but somebody's gotta step up. I can add any of a gajillion random numbers?

*CRS - can't remember sh*t
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:29 am
floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:00 pm I got Final Jeopardy instantly by adding 700 to the year of founding. What else could it be?
???. Is this a hack I don't know about? I can just add 700 and get a backdoor to the answer?? Sory to go all TPH, but somebody's gotta step up. I can add any of a gajillion random numbers?
The clue said that the city "became associated with a psychological response" "over 700 years after its traditional 1252 founding date." The goofy thing about floridagator's post is that the clue says "over 700 years," so I'm not sure how 1952 gave it to him instantly, since the incident that gave rise to the concept of Stockholm syndrome happened over 20 years later. Or maybe just knowing it was the 20th century did the trick? Seems like the part about a psychological response should be enough to infer a 20th century happening, I don't know.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:49 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:29 am
The clue said that the city "became associated with a psychological response" "over 700 years after its traditional 1252 founding date." The goofy thing about floridagator's post is that the clue says "over 700 years," so I'm not sure how 1952 gave it to him instantly, since the incident that gave rise to the concept of Stockholm syndrome happened over 20 years later. Or maybe just knowing it was the 20th century did the trick? Seems like the part about a psychological response should be enough to infer a 20th century happening, I don't know.
Thanks, I should have KISS'd it. I thought that maybe 1952 was a significant year in Swedish history, which still doesn't tie it to a psych milestone. I easily see it's enough to unpin any old psych terms. I guess Oedipusa can be a port just as much as Pavlova. And Pavlov is pre-1952 so it's a double fail.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.