This Is Jeopardy!: The Story of America’s Favorite Quiz Show podcast

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: This Is Jeopardy!: The Story of America’s Favorite Quiz Show podcast

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was fun to hear from so many of Ken's opponents on the 6/7 ep. No doubt, many of them still have skills that could fill out a KJL tourney.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

This episode definitely got me thinking (once again) about a Vinny losers tournament for Sports Jeopardy. Pleeeeeeease?
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:01 pm It was fun to hear from so many of Ken's opponents on the 6/7 ep. No doubt, many of them still have skills that could fill out a KJL tourney.
I'd just turned 50 when I played Ken. At 69 my skills have eroded considerably. Maybe I could do even worse! I'm available.

Buzzy claims they reached out to as many KJLs as they could locate. Ha! I'm very easy to find.

For obvious reasons I particularly liked the contestant who smuggled White Russians into the green room.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

I caught up on this podcast while I was on vacation. Really good so far, especially the latest episode with the contestants who were all KJed. Glad to hear from Matt Ottinger as well; I think his episode is one of the ones that TuneIn hasn't run, yet he was one of Ken's toughest opponents, so it was good to hear a few clips from that game. If the producers of Jeopardy decide to go ahead with a tourney with members of the KJ 148, it'd be fun if Earl Cahill was allowed to compete, provided he's up for it. Didn't Maggie Speak say he would have made it on the show if Ken's run had been shorter?

All the episodes have been enjoyable, but another favorite of mine was the one about the buzzer. Fritz Holznagel seems like a cool guy.

It sounds like the next TiJ episode will involve Watson. Time to hear more from Brad Rutter?
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

The podcast implied that Matt Ottinger didn't start hosting the quiz bowl TV show until after he'd been on J!, but he'd been hosting it since 1989. (It also inaccurately described where the show was broadcast -- maybe they just didn't want to give PBS a plug.)
MrBluebird
Contributor

Post by MrBluebird »

I enjoyed this episode as well. I get why Ken started showing up just before taping. I agree with him about how the J! contestants are bright and interesting, but I can also imagine how it must feel to get in the green room and hear that this person is the 30 day champ or 40 day champ. Air would be in short supply. :o
I like the idea of a tournament of these folks, I am sure that some of them would have had productive runs.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I have enjoyed this podcast. However, they could've mentioned contestants who rose to fame when the five-day limit was in effect (other than Brad Rutter). And I'm referring to names like Chuck Forrest, Frank Spangenberg, Jerome Vered. They also set show records in their original runs. And Spangenberg set a record for most cash won in five games that stood for nearly three decades until James Holzhauer came along (they were adjusted to the doubling of the clue values).
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:38 pm The audio clarity on both the WoF set and J! set was not the best. Perhaps someone who has not been a contestant will get more out of the episode. I found it old hat.

Buzzy said Brian Henegar would be back the next day. He lost on a Friday.

Anyone know if Jimmy uses the same, "Welcome to Dancing with the Stars" each taping session or does he mix it up with other shows?
not sure but nice to hear Jimmy's a dancing with the stars fan.
(ballroom dancing was one of the few extracurriculars available and was enjoyable)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/14 is IBM Watson

Brad and Ken get to put in their two cents about the experience. Brad at one point says the term, "Single Jeopardy!" in mentioning the first round. Yes, we get to hear "Toronto" again.

Next week: Alex Trebek
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

bengland wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:54 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:01 pm It was fun to hear from so many of Ken's opponents on the 6/7 ep. No doubt, many of them still have skills that could fill out a KJL tourney.
I'd just turned 50 when I played Ken. At 69 my skills have eroded considerably. Maybe I could do even worse! I'm available.

Buzzy claims they reached out to as many KJLs as they could locate. Ha! I'm very easy to find.

For obvious reasons I particularly liked the contestant who smuggled White Russians into the green room.

I have not finished that episode but it definitely got me thinking of who knows how they defined that. maybe they just used the exact email (or even more 'granted' a 'home line' that was given) from The original 'signup sheet' in 2003 or something. (I am not saying anything against people who still have their home line (or traded the home line or traded the home line number to use as a cell phone line (which would lead to the unique problem of your former cell phone number not being accessible anymore)) but it is something that makes slight sense of someone accessible through Internet means might not be considered accessible through jeopardy official means.
billiej

Post by billiej »

bengland wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:54 pm I'd just turned 50 when I played Ken. At 69 my skills have eroded considerably. Maybe I could do even worse! I'm available.
While on the subject of age, as long as they seem all tourney happy, how about bringing back the senior tournament? :lol:
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

I actually would skipped reviewing this episode since it is was aired a while ago but since the Preview we got a few weeks ago I have definitely been looking forward to this one. but i will review this in 'order of appearance' in the episode instead of beginning at the 'preview portion'. The 'mysterious disappearing' quote was funny. basically any portion that was from a staff member was 'entertaining'.

The portion from the preview definitely revealed the hunch I got from the preview (yes I know this sentence is not the best written). but I want to hear the whole thing (as in the 'complete episode') before I start commenting on the message board (definitely considering how editing can make things sound). even though this is a hunch from watching a podcast episode in jeopardy terms it sounded like the reason they kept repeating the 'answers' (even though they checked for 'dupes' and I bet they did their job.) was due to a (justified) fear that any new questions they wrote would be skewed mistakenly for or against the champion and they felt it was safer to avoid writing questions. obviously this led to a side-effects of Recognition of the answer and questions though this was likely the safest option for everyone.

really the only other safer option I can think of was to pull the questions from 'way back' (as in maybe choosing questions from 1996 or something) but I am not even sure how many questions they even had at this time on 'The database' (as in the Sony one) considering currently it seems the regular podcast actually sites our own archive J bored as the main 'answer source'. (which makes me proud of what this database has become.). maybe they only had that season's answers and questions or something in 'easy access' but something to think of. though in terms of the question discussed in the podcast they did show that was 'a duplicate' it was a video clue so it was likely on a different database from the paper database used back then. (The 'clue crew interview' heavily applied this.)

considering all of these things it least tells us how such a thing as a over 70 Day champion happen. they ran out of clues. (not to say he was not a good champion but all the simulations say it would have been half.) I think it is good they finally admitted what happened because it was so past what 'makes sense' it got people really questioning thing. now that next episode is about the other side of the story is going to be fun.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

I have actually been just calling them by their game. we have like over 20 different people and I review most of the episodes as episode is playing and go back later for names.

I love they used the roadkill show quote. even though it was before my time on the forum i have ran across a few older ones (my favourite a hypothetical one about if he 'never lost' in 2010.) on this, searching for other things and always found them enjoyable. I love how the first interview of the show (Game 1) basically said she came there for a some quick fun to then just get drunk with her friend. did they just get everyone that was on that 'Game 20 bus'. being we have over 100 people I do not know why they need to use the same group for the Green room stuff as well as the bus. why are we hearing about Game 16 sarah getting drunk. The editors of the show would known that were made her look bad. and it was not done in the more positive (as in a move on sort of way) The first game contestant was done. honestly at multiple 20 percent alcoholic drinks (according to Wikipedia 'Kahlúa'). it is lucky she even walked on the stage. (wine is average 10 to 12 percent for comparison).

Game 47 'meal of fortune' was something else (in a 'good way'). there's nothing like your story becoming true in some sort of way.

Nick's comment on his parents is liking Ken is like my mum ("he's is so smart"). maybe it is because he is so energetic that it attracts that demographic. (as good I guess as any) mat Game 14 talking about him was almost beating him was actually nice to hear. and the thing about the towel was interesting too.

something that has been on my head during the whole thing though was how silly it would be today to be feeling that way when you see a 7 or even 14 Game contestant (anything above 20 would be 'time to worry' though, never mind 70) and how much of a different time it was.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

this is going to be considering I wrote three of them in two days. I found it very interesting. they mentioned that Ken did college classes in ai but I think they possibly should have added The fact he was a computer programmer before "everything" (which is likely why he was taking classes in ai, not just for his entertainment). where did they seem to cut off his 'special study method' discussion.

It also seems that they literally made the robot to go against Ken if they already have a special color for his stats. which kind of possibly (based on the podcast they could have cut out some of the "dots" in editing) made Brad the only one to be able to realistically beat Watson.

which leads to the two main questions that I have been thinking for a while if Watson would be able to beat them now that they are 10 years more experience. and a new question I have. was The only reason it was able to beat Ken because it was a program specifically to beat Ken. because even though it is not technically cheating in the jeopardy standpoint it is manipulative on a scientific standpoint in terms of seeing where we are in 'electronics intelligents'. just a few things to think on.

I added this link a month later because it really puts everything into perspective. at the time they did not realise the statistics of actual players' it as it seems. (I bet someone had it in their 'personal collection' or something but I mean in general.) we see 80 present and we now know that a Super Champion is usually in the 90 present range. again it only takes one question to change a game but Who knows what would happen if they were to redo it today with more experience (in terms of the two that already competed) or different champions.

(https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2225155)
Last edited by Game Girl on Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 6/28 ep. was all about the Clue Crew and a lot of it was familiar from the Inside J! podcasts.

Next week sounds like pub trivia at O'Brien's and that had to be Pam speaking on the teaser.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

The 7/5 episode is in fact about O'Briens Pub Quiz. You'll hear the voices of many J! champs and contestants. And me (a J! aspirant).

If any JBoarders are traveling to LA this summer and around on a Wednesday night, please stop by! All are welcome. Even if you are solo, we will find a team for you to join.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:06 pm The 7/5 episode is in fact about O'Briens Pub Quiz. You'll hear the voices of many J! champs and contestants. And me (a J! aspirant).

If any JBoarders are traveling to LA this summer and around on a Wednesday night, please stop by! All are welcome. Even if you are solo, we will find a team for you to join.
It was very friendly and fun when I visited in 2014. Today's podcast was representative of what it sounds like in the pub and just how many J! alums (and JBoarders) are in there. Best of luck to you and the other hopefuls to finally get THE CALL.

We heard quite a list of game show appearances from one person and if Hans had done the same it would have been lengthy as well.

Did the fez get a mention?

For next week's teaser I need to listen again as the voice is familiar but I could not place it on the first pass.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:32 pm For next week's teaser I need to listen again as the voice is familiar but I could not place it on the first pass.
It is mentioned in the episode's transcript that the person heard in the teaser is Corin Purifoy, who lost to Jason Zuffranieri in his fourth game.
https://www.jeopardy.com/sites/default/ ... dyEp11.pdf
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:44 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:32 pm For next week's teaser I need to listen again as the voice is familiar but I could not place it on the first pass.
It is mentioned in the episode's transcript that the person heard in the teaser is Corin Purifoy, who lost to Jason Zuffranieri in his fourth game.
https://www.jeopardy.com/sites/default/ ... dyEp11.pdf
Airdate 2019-07-24; tape date 2019-04-06, 31 days after Alex publicly announced his cancer diagnosis.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:32 pm It was very friendly and fun when I visited in 2014. Today's podcast was representative of what it sounds like in the pub and just how many J! alums (and JBoarders) are in there. Best of luck to you and the other hopefuls to finally get THE CALL.

We heard quite a list of game show appearances from one person and if Hans had done the same it would have been lengthy as well.

Did the fez get a mention?

For next week's teaser I need to listen again as the voice is familiar but I could not place it on the first pass.
Thank you! We have been able to keep O'Briens Pub Quiz going for 25 years because people have fun. That's the main goal - a good time.

The fez ended up on the cutting room floor as it were. It was not mentioned. I also had hoped that Buzzy would offer a shout out to the J! folks who first came to the quiz and helped to evangelize to their fellow contestants - Bob Harris and (especially) Alan Bailey. And I believe that some credit is due to Robert K S who brought the quiz to the attention of the J! community on a message board.

The multi-game show contestant who went through all of his credits was Dan Avila. Hans is definitely catching up to him.