Thursday, April 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thursday, April 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

I skipped too far ahead in my recording and heard Ken say "leader of the Seljuk Turks" before desperately rewinding, and I still didn't get it right. (I said Suleiman, and I'm telling myself I was trying to say Saladin.)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:47 pm I feel bad about it, but if you'd asked me to name any Kurd from any time in history, there's only one name I'd be sure of.
My list of famous Kurds in history, after this FJ, has increased by 1...to 1. I don't feel all that bad about it, but happy to learn. It's true I don't know much about these medieval figures. I also guessed El Cid, now I find out he wasn't even Muslim, which the clue strongly implied...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I can name possibly two Middle Eastern(ish) figures from 10th to 13th century. Saladin and Constantin(e?). I only know Saladin from some long ago article about Saddam Hussein that said he aspired to be a modern version of him. I did not know he was Kurdish or any Pavlovs thereof.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:39 am I can name possibly two Middle Eastern(ish) figures from 10th to 13th century. Saladin and Constantin(e?). I only know Saladin from some long ago article about Saddam Hussein that said he aspired to be a modern version of him. I did not know he was Kurdish or any Pavlovs thereof.
The famous Constantine was early 4th century. Constantines VII through X were in the time frame you specify, but I don't think Jeopardy! would ever ask about them directly.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:07 pm trash: The Lady of the Lake, boater,
Heliopolis, KFCC, sour grapes DD, The Waste Land, Kaiser Wilhelm DD, buttery,

could not pull Iolani Palace :|
Had Shelley for Keats. :(

betting: :D :D :D :mrgreen:

As I said, 12th Century Kurd is Pavlovian for Saladin. No joke here. :?
How do you get Saladin but miss an easy Hawaiian history question?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bill Lumbergh is also now a solid part of the J! canon with his fifth archive hit since 2013. They were a bit late to the party for the 1999 film but they’re trying to make up for it.

It does appear to be the first mention of TPS reports.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I matched Rebecca though I was pretty sure I was wrong.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

davey wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:39 am My list of famous Kurds in history, after this FJ, has increased by 1...to 1. I don't feel all that bad about it, but happy to learn. It's true I don't know much about these medieval figures. I also guessed El Cid, now I find out he wasn't even Muslim, which the clue strongly implied...
Strongly because it consigned Saladin to Limbo, which if I recall my Aquinas was the afterlife destination of those who were unbaptized, whether because they died in infancy or were from cultures where Christianity had not yet made significant inroads.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

yesterday's episode what is a gift. The interview about a prisoner of Jeopardy was hilarious (definitely considering who it's coming from.(came as a contestant left as a host.)) but our star of the show today Eric Anderson is coming up empty on the searches. (apparently there another Eric Anderson plays the accordion here (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Andersen).) If anyone can figure out the band name I could probably do the rest of in a heartbeat since his name is coming up empty. I know there is very little help with contestant interest on here usually but I really really would appreciate help here. (for a legitimate mix of musical interests and and with how he talked on the subject where he actually stands.) anyhow back to him in the game he apparently failed the daily double about a Ukrainian tank and something happened the next day that I am going to put under spoiler.
Spoiler
did not answer a question about the Cyrillic alphabet.
I would not wanna be him when he gets back.

edit note September - I did try to follow basic politeness but it was not well expanded on and decided that it is distanced enough for me to comment on. I did not like how he call it 'some Ukrainian festival' during his first interview. actually I found it really really rude and ungracious, definitely seeing that he got permission to use an instrument onto the stage (I probably would have brushed it off if it was not for that instrument permission) but I do understand you have a short amount of time to do interviews and it does come out of your mouth sometimes wrong but if you know the amount of times that conversation played in my head to try to find a reason for The stuff above you would be surprised.

I guess we will see him and wild card so who knows maybe he will redeem himself I am someone that does believe in redemption definitely. (I also misheard him say xylophone A bigger instrument than the one he listed The first time in a listen to it next day)
Last edited by Game Girl on Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:00 am, edited 14 times in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Didn't get Russell Crowe.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Strange episode. Hannibal an answer to clue twice, and Napa used once as an answer and another in a clue.
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:30 am Strange episode. Hannibal an answer to clue twice, and Napa used once as an answer and another in a clue.
And in both cases, no relation between the two names. Hannibal Lecter has no connection to Hannibal, MO. And Napa Valley has nothing to do with napa cabbage where the "napa" comes from a Japanese word referring to the leaves.

Tangentially related fun fact: cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, collard greens, kale, and kohlrabi are all the same species. Not just the same genus or family. Same species. They're all cultivars of Brassica oleracea with different properties but all partaking of the same basic evil. Napa cabbage is part of a different species but same genus, Brassica rapa. Europeans and Americans may be more familiar with this species in its turnip form. Bok choy is another cultivar of the species.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:26 pm Tangentially related fun fact: cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, collard greens, kale, and kohlrabi are all the same species. Not just the same genus or family. Same species. They're all cultivars of Brassica oleracea with different properties but all partaking of the same basic evil. Napa cabbage is part of a different species but same genus, Brassica rapa. Europeans and Americans may be more familiar with this species in its turnip form. Bok choy is another cultivar of the species.
A similar situation applies to melons. Most of the familiar sorts (Crenshaw, cantaloupe, honeydew, Casaba) are cultivars of a single species, Cucumis melo. The most familiar of all, watermelon, is a different species, Cucumis lanatus.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:19 am I skipped too far ahead in my recording and heard Ken say "leader of the Seljuk Turks" before desperately rewinding, and I still didn't get it right.
An anonymous correction suggestion submitter has proposed that the J! Archive include an erratum to note that Saladin was never leader of the Seljuks; he was instead an ally of the Seljuks in the Third Crusade, but they were led by their own sultan.

I don't know enough about the topic to determine whether such a note would be appropriate or not.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:10 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:45 pm Here is an interesting look at "welcoming" someone to the J-Canon. The July 18, 2022 episode featured a clue that referenced Martha Mitchell, wife of Nixon's attorney general John Mitchell, as a role played in a TV movie by Julia Roberts. It was her first mention anywhere in the Archive. Today, 9 months later, we see another mention, this time as a response (and in this case a triple stumper). Thanks to entry of old games in the meantime, this is her sixth mention in the Archive, and it's not even her first mention as a correct response.

I'd add her to your flashcards, for certain.
Is she the woman that Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford find at her home who is the first person to be willing to talk to them?
Martha Mitchell doesn't appear in All the President's Men. I'd guess you're thinking of Jane Alexander's character (listed in IMDb only as Bookkeeper), who says
If you guys could get John Mitchell, that would be beautiful.
In and out of the pool four times
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The Oscar-nominated documentary short The Martha Mitchell Effect (available on Netflix) that came out last year was pretty well done.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.