Masters Monday, May 15, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Masters Monday, May 15, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game 1 J! Round
Archivists

Re: Masters Monday, May 15, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game 1 DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Game 2 J! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Game 2 DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

Game 1:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE U.S. GOVERNMENT

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Not a department head but of cabinet rank, the person in this post has had an official residence in a 42nd floor Park Avenue penthouse

Mattea Roach 16400-2801=13599 (0 points)
Matt Amodio 24800-8001=16799 (3 points)
Amy Schneider 9600+6801=16401 (1 point)

Correct response:
Spoiler
What is Ambassador to the UN? (Mattea - What Chair of the Fed?) (Matt - What surgeon general? postmaster attorney general )
Daily Doubles
Mattea: 1000+1000
Amy: 7800-5000
Matt: 11800+11800

Coryats:
Mattea: 16200
Matt: 15000
Amy: 14600

Combined: 45,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Mattea: 6000
Matt: 3800
Amy: 5800

Game 2:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19TH CENTURY FIRST LADIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After her husband left office, a minister wrote the White House was "purer because" this First Lady "has been its mistress"

James Holzhauer 24805-806=23999 (3 points)
Andrew He 8800+0=8800 (1 point)
Sam Buttrey 8800-8800=0 (0 points)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Who is Lucy Hayes? (James - If a Ken falls in the forest and no one's around, does it make a dad joke?) (Sam - Who is Grant?)
Daily Doubles
Andrew: 2000+2000
James: 9200+9200
James: 23200+5

Coryats:
James: 18800
Andrew: 7600
Sam: 8800

Combined: 35,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 7600
Andrew: 6400
Sam: 2800
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue May 16, 2023 6:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I think it was Armageddon for Amy when Matt found and solved the Daily Double.

Mattea looked like she was going to have diarrhea when the Final Jeopardy clue was revealed. What else could it be? Not a department head and having an official residence in New York.

Chim Chim Cher-ee a triple stumper?

For the second game, I had another what else could it be feeling that led me to Lucretia Hayes.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The standings with two games left for each player:
James 12 (4 wins)
Andrew 9 (2 wins)
Mattea 7 (2 wins)
Matt 6 (2 wins)
Amy 4
Sam 2

Sam needs to win both of his last games to have a chance at the next round. Amy needs at least one win. Matt has already been in a James/Andrew game so he plays first tomorrow. Amy may regret not betting bigger in FJ tonight.

I surprised myself by getting both FJs tonight. The UN one took longer as I was trying to think of a financial guy.
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:34 pm Matt has already been in a James/Andrew game so he plays first tomorrow.
No, Matt won tonight, so he has to play the second game. Either Amy or Sam can be the third with Matt and James.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:44 pm For the second game, I had another what else could it be feeling that led me to Lucretia Hayes.
Lucretia was Garfield.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:42 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:44 pm For the second game, I had another what else could it be feeling that led me to Lucretia Hayes.
Who?
Lucy, I mean. Naturally I would have answered simply who is Hayes.
Last edited by floridagator on Mon May 15, 2023 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

silverpie wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:41 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:34 pm Matt has already been in a James/Andrew game so he plays first tomorrow.
No, Matt won tonight, so he has to play the second game. Either Amy or Sam can be the third with Matt and James.
Thanks. That puts Mattea and Andrew in the first game (both have faced James/Matt). Sam and Amy can be plugged into either game (I think).

On a side note, James is getting annoying.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

(1) Had Sam been correct with his FJ guess, could the judges have accepted "who's buried in Grant's tomb?", since it's not only in the form of a question, but Julia Grant is in fact in that tomb alongside her husband?

(2) I'm feeling insanely pleased with myself for knowing "Clovis culture" without even having to think about it.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:Amy may regret not betting bigger in FJ tonight.
But that was par for the course, for Amy.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:44 pm Mattea looked like she was going to have diarrhea when the Final Jeopardy clue was revealed. What else could it be? Not a department head and having an official residence in New York.
I matched Mattea. I guess "official residence" was probably a stretch, but it made sense to me that the Chair of the Fed might need a residence in New York. The UN didn't even come to mind for me.

By the way, the "Cabinet rank" part of the question is very time dependent. According to Wikipedia:
The ambassadorship continued to hold this status through the Reagan administration but was removed from Cabinet rank by George H. W. Bush, who had previously held the position himself. It was restored under the Clinton administration. It was not a Cabinet-level position under the George W. Bush administration (from 2001 to 2009),[2][3] but was once again elevated under the Obama administration, and initially retained as such by the Trump administration.[4] However, in December 2018, it was reported by several news organizations that the Trump administration would once again downgrade the position to non-Cabinet rank.[5] The position was again elevated to Cabinet rank in the Biden administration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... net_status
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue May 16, 2023 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken knows his chat material to be ready with... "feet" for Amy's karaoke song story.

Mattea, Matt and Amy were fairly even in Coryats while Matt hitting big on his DD this time saved him with the decent lead for the FJ! round. Amy could have won and she may not be playing next week with only scoring the 1 point for her sole solve.

The FJ! clue had me playing a cross-out game in my head while Matt had his written for all to see. I wrote Postmaster General instead of Surgeon General and was not going to solve that clue.

Yeah, sure, just what I needed another blankin' NY clue.

Sam got the laugh of the second game with the clue selection of, "Stuff only old guys would know" and he is going to need some good extra good fortune to avoid the bottom two elimination.

The combination of Andrew betting his 2000 and James' score of 0 was great and Ken was on the ball again for the lay-up of James' score still on there.

James taking a hit at Andrew with the title belt and Andrew making it look good surprised me that the powers had not used that in a promo I've seen.

James found DD2 and DD3 so that meant runaway with plenty of room to spare including a 5-point wager.

The FJ! clue had me think of the right lady, but I could not figure out how to have her make sense with the clue's wording. I considered going level 3 with Julia Grant and thinking I had learned my lesson from last week decided to go level one with Dolley Madison. This time I needed to go level 2.

After time up and before the reveal I then wondered if Frances Folsom was the play with somehow Cleveland's young bride fitting the description.

A point for Andrew on his "sole solve" but of course James would not tip his hand whether he knew it or not. Instead we got an even longer response directed at Ken.

Four players cannot surpass James and his 12 points this week, so he's in the semis. There's no kind tanking or manipulation James can do to try to get Matt or Mattea to miss the cut and boost Amy or Sam who he may perceive as easier to defeat is there? It's hard to completely trust a game show villain.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ken finally slipped and called the points "dollars" at the last DD of the first game.

James was given a special dispensation from having to write the "Who" down on his Final screen when wagering.

Ken said "You had to do it" to Sam regarding his all-in Final wager, but he definitely didn't "have" to do it, as evidenced by Andrew's 0 wager. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had they remained tied. Would there have been a tiebreaker for the 1 match point?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:21 amFour players cannot surpass James and his 12 points this week, so he's in the semis. There's no kind tanking or manipulation James can do to try to get Matt or Mattea to miss the cut and boost Amy or Sam who he may perceive as easier to defeat is there? It's hard to completely trust a game show villain.
If his games aren't runaways he could certainly throw FJ or tank at the end of his game(s) to try to give his opponent(s) an advantage. I suspect James will play it straight, though.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

It is frustrating to watch Amy continue to throw away points with sub-optimal wagering. Playing against competition with a near equal knowledge base, there’s just no room for the mistakes she’s been making on both DD and FJ wagers. And it’s reflected in her current point total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Sam Buttrey is last on the leaderboard by match points, but third by correct responses and Coryat.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:51 am It is frustrating to watch Amy continue to throw away points with sub-optimal wagering. Playing against competition with a near equal knowledge base, there’s just no room for the mistakes she’s been making on both DD and FJ wagers. And it’s reflected in her current point total.
Funnily enough the 2800 she uselessly left behind on her DD wager, turned out to actually give her just enough to win the game on the sole get Final. But alas...