Masters Tuesday, May 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Masters Tuesday, May 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game 1 J! Round
Archivists

Re: Masters Tuesday, May 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game 1 DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Game 2 J! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Game 2 DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

Game 1:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This capital city founded in 1567 was where the founding statute of OPEC was adopted in 1961

Andrew He 13200+1900=15100 (3 points)
Mattea Roach 8400+2801=11201 (1 point)
Sam Buttrey 5600-2801=2799 (0 points)

Correct response:
Spoiler
What is Caracas, Venezuela? (Sam - What is Riyadh Riyadh? Caracas?)
Daily Doubles
Andrew: 1600+1600
Andrew: 8000-8000
Andrew: 3600-3600

Coryats:
Andrew: 24000
Mattea: 8400
Sam: 5600

Combined: 38,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Andrew: 5200
Mattea: 6000
Sam: 400

Game 2:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDMARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For more than a millennium, a huge embroidered work known as the kiswa has been used to adorn & protect this structure

James Holzhauer 30200-310=29890 (3 points)
Matt Amodio 12800-7201=5599 (0 points)
Amy Schneider 10000+3000=13000 (1 point)

Correct response:
Spoiler
What is the Kaaba? (James - Is there no one else) (Matt - What wailing wall)
Daily Doubles
James: 1000+1000
Amy: 4200+4200
Matt: 3200+3200

Coryats:
James: 30000
Matt: 11600
Amy: 7000

Combined: 48,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 9800
Matt: 1600
Amy: 3400
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue May 16, 2023 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

James certainly didn’t tank this game. With one night left, the standings are:

James 15 (5 wins)
Andrew 12 (3 wins)
Mattea 8 (2 wins)
Matt 6 (2 wins)
Amy 5 (0 wins)
Sam 2 (0 wins)

The top three have clinched a semifinal spot.

The draw for tomorrow is key. James and Andrew are in the second game and have already faced Sam and Matt. If Amy is selected for the nightcap she is in deep trouble as she must win and James is clearly taking no prisoners. If she is in the first game it will be fun to see them battle it out for the last spot with Sam playing spoiler but can snag an extra $25,000 if he wins and Amy is last in her game.

First FJ was a quick get, never heard of the second one. I thought it sounded Japanese.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Andrew and Mattea clinch semifinal berths with tonight's results; Sam is eliminated.

The clinching scenarios for tomorrow's games… are actually quite simple.
Matt clinches the last semifinal place with a win. If he doesn't win, Amy must win to overtake him. (An outcome of "Amy second, Matt third" to bring them level on six match points sees the tiebreaker go in Matt's favor, two game wins to none.)

EDIT: Amy was drawn into tomorrow night's second game alongside James and Andrew.

Here is a full breakdown of finishing possibilities.

James: 1st. (If third tomorrow and Andrew wins, has tiebreaker, five game wins to four.)

Andrew: 2nd.

Mattea: 3rd if they or Sam win, 4th if Matt does.

Matt: 3rd if he wins; 4th if neither he nor Amy win; 5th if Amy wins and he doesn't.

Amy: 4th if she wins and Matt doesn't; 6th if she finishes third and Sam wins; 5th otherwise.

Sam: 5th if he wins and Amy finishes third; 6th otherwise.
Last edited by mfc248 on Wed May 17, 2023 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

At this point I think it's pretty clear that James and Andrew are the two best players. I'd be surprised if James doesn't win the tournament and I'd be exceptionally surprised if it was someone other than those two.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Andrew was 2/4 on wagering clues, but way better than Mattea and Sam on the buzzer to get another 3 points.

Mattea handled the chat about meeting people older than her with humor in using "age redacted" about Sam.

That game 1 material played like UToC to me in not knowing enough or not being fast enough to recall what I should know. The good news was that the FJ! clue was easy for me to get a little redemption.

Tough break for Sam though no biggie overall that his cross-out game went the wrong way.

James can work Amy over on the buzzer and Matt does not hit enough FJ! clues correctly to probably have James not care at all which one makes the semis. Perhaps James next week will be forced to demonstrate if can solve a FJ! clue when he actually needs it.

In Feb. for regular play I was so off on the Halley's Comet FJ! clue that I guessed a landmark. Redemption came tonight when this time it was the right landmark to get out of the night with a 2/2 on the FJ! clues.

Tomorrow, I'm using P+ to watch Survivor at 5 before looking on YT for Masters early. Masked Singer finale can wait until normal time.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The key SF game will be the one James isn’t in.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I never thought I'd be typing the the words "James was robbed", but James was robbed when they accepted, then negged, his response on 12-LETTER WORDS 600. They claimed that he said "incandescence" instead of "incandescent". It doesn't help the listening that Ken says "You got it" before James gets a chance to cross the T, so to speak, but I think the judges ought to have given him the benefit of the doubt here. There is no way James is going to give the response "incandescence" for a clue about a type of light bulb. And he absolutely does not clearly say "incandescence" in a way that could not be just as easily heard as "incandescent".

James was a good sport for not putting up a fuss in the face of this ruling. Other players under other conditions would have had a bum ruling like this one ruin the rest of the game for them.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Robert K S wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:23 am I never thought I'd be typing the the words "James was robbed", but James was robbed when they accepted, then negged, his response on 12-LETTER WORDS 600. They claimed that he said "incandescence" instead of "incandescent". It doesn't help the listening that Ken says "You got it" before James gets a chance to cross the T, so to speak, but I think the judges ought to have given him the benefit of the doubt here. There is no way James is going to give the response "incandescence" for a clue about a type of light bulb. And he absolutely does not clearly say "incandescence" in a way that could not be just as easily heard as "incandescent".

James was a good sport for not putting up a fuss in the face of this ruling. Other players under other conditions would have had a bum ruling like this one ruin the rest of the game for them.
Can anybody hear the panelists clearly enough to truly say that he didn't say "incandescents", as the type of light bulb?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Game 1:

59 R (Missed Johnny Greenwood.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Game 2:

59 R (Did not get XTC.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Kiswa was all I needed for Final.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

da Doctah wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:37 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:23 am I never thought I'd be typing the the words "James was robbed", but James was robbed when they accepted, then negged, his response on 12-LETTER WORDS 600. They claimed that he said "incandescence" instead of "incandescent". It doesn't help the listening that Ken says "You got it" before James gets a chance to cross the T, so to speak, but I think the judges ought to have given him the benefit of the doubt here. There is no way James is going to give the response "incandescence" for a clue about a type of light bulb. And he absolutely does not clearly say "incandescence" in a way that could not be just as easily heard as "incandescent".

Can anybody hear the panelists clearly enough to truly say that he didn't say "incandescents", as the type of light bulb?
That would be wrong too, given the category of 12-LETTER WORDS.

Interesting wager by Andrew in the first game, opting to keep Sam locked out rather than cover Mattea's potential double-up to 16,800. (He also left 100 points of buffer between his minimum and Sam's double-up, which meant he guaranteed himself victory as Mattea bet to cover Sam by a single point.)
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

theFJguy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:38 am Game 1:

Andrew He 13200+1900=15100 (3 points)
Mattea Roach 8400+2801=11201 (1 point)
Sam Buttrey 5600-2801=2799 (0 points)
seaborgium wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:24 pm Interesting wager by Andrew in the first game, opting to keep Sam locked out rather than cover Mattea's potential double-up to 16,800. (He also left 100 points of buffer between his minimum and Sam's double-up, which meant he guaranteed himself victory as Mattea bet to cover Sam by a single point.)
Sam's wager here was peculiar, wasn't it? Sam should figure that Andrew will wager at most 3,601, and therefore finish with at least 9,599. But Sam's wager of 2,801 means he will finish with at most 8,401, thus having no reasonable chance of winning this game.

Mattea's pre-FJ 8,400 was exactly three-halves of Sam's score, so there's an argument for Mattea to wager 2,800 rather than 2,801. (Incidentally what was the rule if there had been a tie for second place? Would the tied players get 0.5 match point each, or would there be a one-clue tiebreaker round? If the latter, then presumably Mattea would have a buzzer advantage over Sam.)
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

This one I watch late because it was on my birthday. I was so happy with the angel question. but I was always told it was levels not choirs. (i did get the stigmata that question right, in the form of a question (which I usually can not the complete 'what is' said I get before someone else buzzes in).) The word choir was never used by my religion teacher who went hard on that subject. he use the word levels instead making me wonder if the word 'levels' would have been correct if used. (it is a hard thing to research (he was a great teacher but some of his topics would likely require more persistence using a search engine than the average 'jeopardy studying'. which actually is just makes me curious where the researcher got this.) (we did have a religion textbook mostly but not for year 4 High school, same teacher all four years though.) so it would be difficult for a 200 of all things. The Dantes inferno should probably always be a lower amount any the other one.

I said mouse man for DeadMouse at the tv. I mean my dad loves this DJ (my dad loves electronic music) oops. I love Mattia's 'what the is going on' face during the Ken Jennings 'suit question' (in the international mystery category). why did mat suddenly jump up at the Mayberry question like he was napping and I mean that as a genuine question, what happened.

James running the board at the end was something you cannot keep your eyes off of. I think it was supposed to all be like that cadence, just like to goat tournament but seems to not be what happened. never been a spelling fan use voice dictation for everything. (even back when it took a super long time to get ready I wanted.) I would be the type that can do phonetic amazing though, so I hate when they go to the root of making it in the way that changes the final Jeopardy rules of accepting phonetics.