Masters Wednesday, May 17, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Masters Wednesday, May 17, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Post I made on Final Jeopardy clues a few years ago.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:56 am 20th CENTURY FRENCHMEN

These two 20th century Frenchmen, one a composer, the other a novelist, sound like they have the same name, but actually have differently spelled surnames.
Spoiler
Who are Pierre Boulez and Pierre Boulle?
Yes, I know I did it wrong. The names are not pronounced the same.
Douglas Squasoni
da Doctah
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by da Doctah »

billiej wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:57 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:04 am I figured the reference was to Planet of the Apes, but had no idea who wrote it.
Same. I was happy just to get that far, since I don't believe I realized previously that the author was even French. :?
People also tend to forget that the author of the original short story "The Fly" (the source that inspired the film starring David Hedison and Vincent Price) was French, even if they do recall that the main characters have the surname Delambre.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:21 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:44 pm
floridagator wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:12 pm James pronounced the ear condition wrong. It's TINN-i-tus.

That third daily double was pure hubris; it didn't even gain James any strategic advantage.
He nothing to lose (or gain) in this game. After Matt won the first game (I assume he was allowed to watch) the final results didn’t matter. So why not have fun?

Another 0/2 night.
Yes, since the game was meaningless perhaps he figured that he could at least gain a slight psychological advantage going into the semi-finals with a particularly demoralizing win.

I hope he would not have done this had Matt lost the previous game (which would have left Amy in contention).
I disagree. I liked it because it was James playing the way James plays. I would have hoped that if Amy was still in contention he would not have altered his play to give her an advantage. That wouldn't be fair to Matt.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I knew who they wanted for FJ but I spelled it “Bouille,” which probably changes the pronunciation too much to be accepted. (Or maybe not — see, e.g., Gal Gadot, Brendan Fraser.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Is anyone else getting the audio description, even without that feature being turned on? It gets pretty annoying. I do have CC on, but that shouldn't include the audio description, and never has before.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:40 am Is anyone else getting the audio description, even without that feature being turned on? It gets pretty annoying. I do have CC on, but that shouldn't include the audio description, and never has before.
Really weird. Although I'm curious about how they narrate the villain.
yclept

Post by yclept »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:49 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:21 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:44 pm
floridagator wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:12 pm James pronounced the ear condition wrong. It's TINN-i-tus.

That third daily double was pure hubris; it didn't even gain James any strategic advantage.
He nothing to lose (or gain) in this game. After Matt won the first game (I assume he was allowed to watch) the final results didn’t matter. So why not have fun?

Another 0/2 night.
Yes, since the game was meaningless perhaps he figured that he could at least gain a slight psychological advantage going into the semi-finals with a particularly demoralizing win.

I hope he would not have done this had Matt lost the previous game (which would have left Amy in contention).
I disagree. I liked it because it was James playing the way James plays. I would have hoped that if Amy was still in contention he would not have altered his play to give her an advantage. That wouldn't be fair to Matt.
Agreed. James is just extremely aggressive.

That said, I wonder if he would have gone all-in in FJ if he had a chance to beat his best ever score during his run. I doubt he thinks about that if the game had any meaning. But since it had no meaning. I can at least fathom him trying to best his record even if it meant potentially falling behind second if he missed.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:44 pm He nothing to lose (or gain) in this game. After Matt won the first game (I assume he was allowed to watch) the final results didn’t matter.
It's an inherent flaw in this format: it was predictable as soon as the format was announced, that at least two semifinal spots would probably be clinched before episode 7. Of course the players will try their best in every game because of pride and sportsmanship, but the tournament structure ought to give them incentive beyond that.

An easy fix would have been a cash prize to each game's winner in addition to the prizes for placement in the tournament.

(Also, in episode 7 the game 2 players should have been sequestered during game 1, though this alone would not be enough.)
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:47 pm
Leander wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:26 pm Both pronunciations of tinnitus are acceptable according to all the sources I’ve seen.
Careful speakers will note that tinnitus does not end with -itis but rather with -itus. I understand what somebody means when they refer to it with the -itis ending, but I would never say it that way myself.
This is even sillier than your normal posting because it replicates the discussion for the June 4, 2021 game. Nobody thought you were an authority then, either. (I won't link it because you quickly deflected into unrelated nastiness.)
davey

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:56 pm I knew who they wanted for FJ but I spelled it “Bouille,” which probably changes the pronunciation too much to be accepted. (Or maybe not — see, e.g., Gal Gadot, Brendan Fraser.)
I think you'd get away with that; James probably would boycott if they made understanding French pronunciation rules mandatory. Just don't put a z at the end because that makes no sense whatsoever... :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

davey wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:42 am
This is even sillier than your normal posting
Then let's not get started on the pronunciation of coitus
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:39 amThe SF game not involving James will likely be a must win to make the finals.
Since at least two players other than James will reach the finals and only one of them can win this game, what you've suggested literally cannot be correct. --Bob
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Game 1:

57 R (Missed the Bottom Three in 1990's Emmy Awards.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Game 2:

57 R (Also negged with DW Griffith, and also didn't get Comics $1000 and Rock"ER"s $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

Mathew5000 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:20 am He nothing to lose (or gain) in this game. After Matt won the first game (I assume he was allowed to watch) the final results didn’t matter.
I would have love to see that. this was exactly what I was hoping for but did not happen.
Mathew5000 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:20 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:44 pm He nothing to lose (or gain) in this game. After Matt won the first game (I assume he was allowed to watch) the final results didn’t matter.
It's an inherent flaw in this format: it was predictable as soon as the format was announced, that at least two semifinal spots would probably be clinched before episode 7. Of course the players will try their best in every game because of pride and sportsmanship, but the tournament structure ought to give them incentive beyond that.

An easy fix would have been a cash prize to each game's winner in addition to the prizes for placement in the tournament.

(Also, in episode 7 the game 2 players should have been sequestered during game 1, though this alone would not be enough.)
I think they should focus little more personalitys (in a preferably non-10 energy drink way that James went) as it gets paired with a awesome game of knowledge and slight strategy in terms of the Masters version in general. I will talk more on that one for the epilogue I have for episode 10 (when I get around to watching episode 10). in terms of "Of course the players will try their best in every game because of pride and sportsmanship". I think most contestants would do this but anyone who has seen the tournament of champions exhibition game which worked somewhat better in personality but terrible in other areas like cadence of gameplay. mat decided to see how many times he could press the button and confessed to it. (I understand buzzer practice but come on, training to instinctually pressing button when you do not know stuff would not go well.) The rest were not as bad but I think that tells you everything you need to know. I will say they were not like this (at least to this extent) during this tournament.

this point was the funniest area and The main reason i am commenting. The one night in jeopardy in which Marjohn (sorry this is the fifth time I voice dictated this I cannot believe they do not have this game in the software) gambling went bad was entertaining. I was actually imagining (how true is this I do not know) The reason everyone is there is because they need to get money for the gambling failures from this meet. The 'twiddle your thumbs' joke about the daily double reveal in game 1 was funny.

also I got the planet of the apes question wrong.