LL Season 97

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

LL Season 97

Post by Bamaman »

Starts Monday and the rundle assignments have been posted.
alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL Season 97

Post by alietr »

Good luck, and as a reminder: ABSOLUTELY NO DISCUSSION of the current day's questions.
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

BarrettM on MD3, fortunately avoiding KendallDH as one of the 2 I don't play in the rundle. Is MillmanBQ on here? I feel like they were at some point, but can't remember if they're still active or not.

Good luck to those who need it, have fun to all! Looking forward to the season!
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I am in Foundry C Div 1 for LL97...and play my first head-to-head match with my referrer, ConerityC, on MD7.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Good luck, everyone!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

...but pH was IN THE CLUE!!1

went with acidity as a result, which apparently was not accepted.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Labrador retriever was my first thought for that question, but I could have sworn that it was either an American or Canadian breed. My family always had labs as pets when I was growing up. I guessed Yorkshire terrier, even though I didn't think that it fit the geography clue. But I still would have lost.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I feel pretty good about my opening day six-pack, since I was only certain on about half of them.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:41 pm I feel pretty good about my opening day six-pack, since I was only certain on about half of them.
The only one that gave me trouble (apart from dithering over the wording of the pH question) was the Rugrats one. I’ve never watched the program but seen multiple memes, so initially out of despair put Quahog until finally recalling the name of Tommy Pickles.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:11 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:41 pm I feel pretty good about my opening day six-pack, since I was only certain on about half of them.
The only one that gave me trouble (apart from dithering over the wording of the pH question) was the Rugrats one. I’ve never watched the program but seen multiple memes, so initially out of despair put Quahog until finally recalling the name of Tommy Pickles.
I haven't seen it, but have played enough Sporcle quizzes with The Rugrats that it was an easy one for me. I wasn't sure on the garbage strike city or James Bond. I was about 90% confident in pH.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

The stench is lingering in the Tank rundle with a five way tie for DE at 0.000. What a horrible performance, two players didn't even get a DE score. WAY TO GO!!

My head to head with AFRET was a draw with 5(2)-5(2), on the same two clues, pH and Ford. We both had the ignominy of 0.000 DE's in the WTF rundle as well, with a weird mirror symmetry. I assigned my opponent a 3 on the only one he got right, and AFRET's opponent got a Dolly Parton by missing the second easiest question (G. Ford) which AFRET properly assigned the Zero to the only one he/she got wrong.

An OK welcoming set to kick off LL97. Two definite gets (which made me look up the Leslie King trivia nugget), and a couple of guessables. I switched from Paris to London thinking it can't ALWAYS be Paris making news for garbage strikes. The hubbub about something Royal happening in the news lately should have made me shy away from that. I just guessed Corgi for the dog, I didn't know Labrador was a peninsula anymore than Corgi wasn't. I guessed Pickle for the family (from Dil in the list of names), and wouldn't really ever pluralized it for a WAG. And Sherlock Holmes. My Latin doesn't extend to "The world is not enough" skill level.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Tue May 23, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:11 pm
That one I had no clue on, but I figured with a Bond clue, I'd go for Broccoli.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I was expecting the going to be rough in my first go-round in "C" rundle...and so far, the competition has not spared any mercy. I have answered 2 questions correctly the first two days, while my opponents have answered 10 and I'm already -12 in MPD and sit in last place. With thumb in mouth and wanting my mommy, it will not be long before I get to renew my developing rivalries with old acquaintances from the "D" days.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

SBurrus wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:38 pm I was expecting the going to be rough in my first go-round in "C" rundle...and so far, the competition has not spared any mercy. I have answered 2 questions correctly the first two days, while my opponents have answered 10 and I'm already -12 in MPD and sit in last place. With thumb in mouth and wanting my mommy, it will not be long before I get to renew my developing rivalries with old acquaintances from the "D" days.
That sounds rough. Well, I hope you were able to do better against me in the T (for Tank) Rundle today.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

SBurrus wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:38 pm I was expecting the going to be rough in my first go-round in "C" rundle...and so far, the competition has not spared any mercy. I have answered 2 questions correctly the first two days, while my opponents have answered 10 and I'm already -12 in MPD and sit in last place. With thumb in mouth and wanting my mommy, it will not be long before I get to renew my developing rivalries with old acquaintances from the "D" days.
My one and only visit to C was short lived. I went 5-18-2 and finished dead last and am now back where I belong.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:05 pm And Sherlock Holmes. My Latin doesn't extend to "The world is not enough" skill level.
Same here. I actually had James Bond written in the blank, then backspaced to replace it with Holmes. Rats. Or even Rugrats. Whose name I didn't know, never knew, and now only know because of LL.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Got credit for marshmallow on Q2 yesterday (licorice). Not sure if marshmallow is controversial, but it hits all the botanical clues, basically.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The reminder email saved me my first forfeit as I told myself this morning that I would do it later. Forgot all about LL with J! stuff and Survivor.

A 6(4)-5(4) over ouachiouat lets me go to sleep not having to think about missing the general by only writing brigadier.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm not sure if this qualifies as RTFQ or not, but I got so hung up on remembering 'Brigadier' that I forgot to put 'General' in my answer and got dinged.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

alietr wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:43 am …I got so hung up on remembering 'Brigadier' that I forgot to put 'General' in my answer and got dinged.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:53 am … missing the general by only writing brigadier.
+1
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.