LL Season 97

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: LL Season 97

Post by Volante »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:32 am
StevenH wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:01 am I had three 50 50 90 guesses yesterday: 107.9 vs. 109.9
I don't want to single out StevenH here but this is something I also was thinking reading over the LL Message Boards. Do people under a certain age have no idea of the FM radio in your car? I mean, I'm 48 and this was an absolute slam dunk for me with no real thought at all. I suppose everyone these days is listening to their phones over bluetooth, but someone alive and in a car in like 2010 I would think be familiar with the FM radio bands and where it skips over to 88.1 right after 107.9. The fact that the get rate was under 60% was shocking to me. I gave this a 0 or 1 in both my matches.
Even if they are familiar with the radio, it's probably digital these days. (Mine is, but it's not stock either.) You'd have to make the effort to go to the end.

It's plausibly gettable with math though if you're moderately familiar with how FM stations work; that's how I ended up getting it. Long story short, i decided the FCC allotted space for 100 stations, one for every 0.2. So 88.1 + 100 (stations) / 5 (5 per whole number) - 0.2 (because we're including 88.1) = 107.9
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

There is a station in Seattle, KNDD, that I used to listen to on a weekly Bellingham-Seattle commute. 107.7 The End, they said, over and over.

Okay, wait, keep thinking just a second longer, bomtr.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

mrparadise wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:58 pm Don't know why interest in this thread seems to be waning but for those missing it let me recommend the LL message board. I'm just an occasional visitor there but today I greatly enjoyed the George Plimpton question thread, most especially the story that starts it off, and I bet you will too.
I just don't get as much screen time when the days get longer. I'm dependent on the reminders by Thorsten to submit my answers and thankfully haven't forfeited yet in my 12 seasons. By the time I get on here, I've forgotten the comment worthy questions.
I will go to the LL threads when I don't understand a clue/answer, but they are a rabbit hole sometimes. I usually find the explanations, and lots of people like me who didn't get it either.
I'll try to check out the Plimpton story, thanks for the word up.

(eta - I should have at least noticed two pages of unread thread before posting :oops: )

I could not think of a 106+ FM station locally and guessed 105.9. I think we have nothing on the dial above that - it is a rural area and maybe the range isn't as good at the top of the dial. The numerals on the analog radio faces are mostly incoherent or I would have definitely imprinted the endpoints. I do think this is a great question, and definitely Boomer friendly.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:32 am I don't want to single out StevenH here but this is something I also was thinking reading over the LL Message Boards. Do people under a certain age have no idea of the FM radio in your car? I mean, I'm 48 and this was an absolute slam dunk for me with no real thought at all.
One of my referrals, who is also 48, spent some years working part-time as a DJ on the AM-FM radio station in his rural hometown -- and still got this question wrong. (It would have been really bad if the FM half of the station where he worked had been at 107.9, but it was much lower down the dial than that.)

I got it right, but then, I collect radio station jingles. I don't have many from 107.9 stations, though!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I think that I have been on the luckier side this season. In the past three days I have gone 5/18 on the questions but have a 2-1 record, which is lucky even for a D rundler. I am back in the promotion zone now, despite being in the middle of the pack in TCA in my rundle.

Yesterday I lucked into a 2(1)-0(1) win. I won't assume that my opponent didn't look at my 1DS history, but I was worried that they would be able to infer that I'm an NBA fan from looking at it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

These forfeit wins are really messing up my ability to gripe about my CAA!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The dreaded 9(6)-9(5) tie for me yesterday. I gave my opponent zero for the NC-17 question and he missed it. Film was his second best category. If losing the win because of that isn't bad enough, it also sunk my DE by something like 60 points and knocked me out of the Sandra lead. The leader is now some jabroni named "FrankJ." :lol:
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:25 am The dreaded 9(6)-9(5) tie for me yesterday. I gave my opponent zero for the NC-17 question and he missed it. Film was his second best category. If losing the win because of that isn't bad enough, it also sunk my DE by something like 60 points and knocked me out of the Sandra lead. The leader is now some jabroni named "FrankJ." :lol:
I would hazard a guess that had something to do with NC-17 being a specifically US-based rating.

You may need to give Mr Frank a reminder as to his role.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Oof my head is not in it this season. Just 1 right yesterday and missed all the clues to Gypsy Rose Lee oof
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mahatma wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:00 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:25 am The dreaded 9(6)-9(5) tie for me yesterday. I gave my opponent zero for the NC-17 question and he missed it. Film was his second best category. If losing the win because of that isn't bad enough, it also sunk my DE by something like 60 points and knocked me out of the Sandra lead. The leader is now some jabroni named "FrankJ." :lol:
I would hazard a guess that had something to do with NC-17 being a specifically US-based rating.
Crap, I didn't even think of that.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:32 pm
I am more familiar with LeeES than anyone else in our rundle. He referred me (and FrankJ), and was my OQL teammate up until this season. Still, I've found him difficult to defend well. The holes in his game are randomly spaced, and irregularly shaped.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mahatma wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:06 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:32 pm
I am more familiar with LeeES than anyone else in our rundle. He referred me (and FrankJ), and was my OQL teammate up until this season. Still, I've found him difficult to defend well. The holes in his game are randomly spaced, and irregularly shaped.
It just dawned on me that I know him, too, and he's even a Facebook friend. I met him playing an online trivia game that shall remain nameless. ;)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lovely defense when I gave Grant 1 and Wilt zero and he missed both. At least I salvaged a tie. That’s two straight. Do it again today and I set a personal record.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I don't remember seeing this previously. New Yorker article on LL:

https://www.newyorker.com/sports/sporti ... P8S1LUKKTw
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Having no idea on the Roman Empire question, I put down 500 and moved on. Then I went back and changed it to 700. Then I went back and changed it to 600. Bad Myron, bad.

Changed a win to a loss. :(
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not sure why ACT wasn't accepted, but I still won, so whatever.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Don't forget the Mid-Season Classic!
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Yay for defense! (/s)

Lost 5(2)-3(3). Oof.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:23 am Not sure why ACT wasn't accepted, but I still won, so whatever.
When I saw only 15% got that question right, but only 19% said Canberra I wondered what was going on. I'll bet ACT was just behind Canberra for MCWA. I would have expected that to be accepted, but I certainly wasn't going to risk not writing it out completely.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Aw, man, I could have finished in 67th place with proper moneying on the Midseason Classic! I still ended up with 410 points on 10 correct. I missed one of my money questions by answering "agenda" for Q10 and I should have moneyed Q7 and Q8. Q8 (Mock Turtle) was a guess for me, so I didn't want to money that one, but I didn't think Q7 (Rainier and Grace) would play difficult at all. I guess I should know any question requiring multiple answers will play harder.