Friday, May 26, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 26, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

ACW wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:02 pm I've never heard of Jutmark/Jutland/Jutvania.
In my misspent youth I played a naval warfare game called Jutland, after the WWI real-life battle there. And I've seen references to the Jutland Peninsula a few times since. So this was right up my alley.

Let's see: Lach Trash for Google, Georgia, (sinners in the Hands of an( Angry God, Cartagena (after N. Africa's Carthage), Jim, Billy Budd("Lives of) Quiet Desperation," and Gallium (from reading Sam Kean's wonderful book on the periodic table, "The Disappearing Spoon." (Spoiler Alert: it seems to disappear in hot tea/coffee because it has that low melting point referenced in the clue, and melts in the liquid).

All told: $10, 200, added to the sole get in FJ, gave me a win from the 4th podium. Yeah, yay me. Where do I collect my winnings?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This is the way the week ends, not with a bang but a whimper. Congrats to Diandra for being the last one standing. Rough luck for Jesse and Alice to be ahead of her in a closely matched game with a TS FJ.

Couple of notes for the archivist: The correct response for SJ25 should just be Google, not Google Books, no? The clue refers to "The service launched as this search engine company 'Print'". I know Mayim said "Google Books," referring to the service's current name, but the "this" in the clue is just "Google". There was never a Google Books Print.

Then for DJ27 Diandra clearly says "gadolinum" (an actual element) despite what the closed captions claim.

For the clue "Escritor; one of them created what you're seeing," I said "researcher". Think they'd have given it to me? :mrgreen:

Surprised when Alice said "singer" that Mayim didn't say, "No. We were looking for sing-ger."

Once again, Mayim didn't provide any explanation when Jesse missed with the Phillies and the clue was actually looking for the city.

Ok, lots of low-hanging trash to pick up as shown in the poll.

Oglethorpe = Georgia. That's pretty Pavlovian.

If you can only name one thing about Jonathan Edwards, this sermon should be it.

If you know one quote by Thoreau, the one about lives of quiet desperation should be it.

Cartagena should've been obvious but I just didn't get there.

I wonder if our contestants are too young to have had The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn as required reading in high school. It seems to have moved from obligatory to banned since I graduated back in ought-eighty-three. Even for those who recognize that the clue must be referring to Jim, they'd need the confidence that a first name is sufficient in this case.

Billy Budd was a tough clue. I would've guessed Queequeg on a DD, just to have something. At least I got the right author.

Charlie Marlow from Heart of Darkness was even tougher. I got the last name, which I assume would be accepted. Couldn't have told you Charlie. (I was expecting someone to neg with "Kurtz," the only name you're generally expected to know from that book. That would be an interesting judgment call. I could make an argument that "Kurtz" sort of fits the clue, but my heart wouldn't be in it.) For those who rely on Apocalypse Now for all their Heart of Darkness knowledge, that crutch wouldn't help here. The Marlow character, played by Martin Sheen, has a different name in the film.
This one I didn't remember
Captain Benjamin L. Willard
Interesting wagering situation with everyone so closely grouped. Jesse's all-in probably wasn't the best idea but didn't cost him the game. If he'd made the shutout against Diandra, he'd still have come in second (and picked up an extra $1000, so it did cost him something.) Diandra's wager is curious. It's within an acceptable range, but oddly specific. Why $4,501? On a get, that bumps her up to $12,301. With the miss, she dropped to $3,299. Am I missing something strategic about one of those numbers?

This FJ was weird for me. I said "Juts" (which would have been accepted) because of Jutland, but I couldn't recall that this group had ever existed. Once I remembered to make them Jutes, they seemed a little more familiar. Mayim, as expected, made no mention of Jutland in her explanation of the correct response.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

John Boy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:20 pm
ACW wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:02 pm I've never heard of Jutmark/Jutland/Jutvania.
In my misspent youth I played a naval warfare game called Jutland, after the WWI real-life battle there. And I've seen references to the Jutland Peninsula a few times since. So this was right up my alley.
Played that game, too, so it should've been for me, as well ... wasn't.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:38 pm ...

Couple of notes for the archivist: The correct response for SJ25 should just be Google, not Google Books, no? The clue refers to "The service launched as this search engine company 'Print'". I know Mayim said "Google Books," referring to the service's current name, but the "this" in the clue is just "Google". There was never a Google Books Print.

Then for DJ27 Diandra clearly says "gadolinum" (an actual element) despite what the closed captions claim.

Google fixed, thanks. A correction suggestion came in early and I rejected it since it wanted the the same thing in both the correct response field and comment field with "Google (Books)" Mayim did not help in my confusion for what was wanted.

I changed DD27 to get the "gad" in there instead of "gall", but I still hear five syllables instead of four. Of course, my processing of listening to Diandra speaking would say your sentence has an oxymoron.

Yes, there are times the combination of Mayim (and Ken as well sometimes) along with the closeed captions can lead me astray on archiving. At least it's done fairly early and mostly accurate.

Thanks for the assist.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Not quite an instaget in FJ, but close. Focused on the Jutes almost right away, locked it in after remembering the WWI battle.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:02 pm

Google fixed, thanks. A correction suggestion came in early and I rejected it since it wanted the the same thing in both the correct response field and comment field with "Google (Books)" Mayim did not help in my confusion for what was wanted.

I changed DD27 to get the "gad" in there instead of "gall", but I still hear five syllables instead of four. Of course, my processing of listening to Diandra speaking would say your sentence has an oxymoron.

Yes, there are times the combination of Mayim (and Ken as well sometimes) along with the closeed captions can lead me astray on archiving. At least it's done fairly early and mostly accurate.

Thanks for the assist.
The 5 syllables is right. opus left an i out, but a good catch anyway.
For anyone who wondered, like me, what Jesse said for DD3, the closed captioner got that one right-
https://www.tumblr.com/anofficeaday/334 ... bsen-story
I suppose this is a meme that I'm the last one to learn about... :roll:
I did not remember that Marlow has a first name in Heart of Darkness. I was surprised that it is Charlie, a little less so to find it is Charles as most references I've seen have it...
I wasn't sure that I had the right name for "the continental part of Denmark," but Jute was my best guess...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ha, writers.

Had a Franklin electricity article came out earlier this week: https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/05 ... th-errors/

And Neuralink, today, said it has FDA approval (allegedly...) https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-65729383

Instaguess final
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:02 pm Yes, there are times the combination of Mayim (and Ken as well sometimes) along with the closeed captions can lead me astray on archiving. At least it's done fairly early and mostly accurate.
You're a national treasure. And your accuracy, day after day, is amazing.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:25 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:02 pm

Thanks for the assist.
The 5 syllables is right. opus left an i out, but a good catch anyway.
Ha! Mark gets almost every clue letter-perfect and I muff a simple correction! Didn't even notice.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:23 pm Image
I was not expecting to laugh this much on jboard! Thank you.
brick

Post by brick »

On Huck Finn, “Big Jim” acceptable?
davey

Post by davey »

Emending my post about Charlie Marlow-
He is named as Charlie twice in Heart of Darkness - not as Charles, using the Project Gutenberg edition. Also called Charley in Lord Jim. I don't know why that sounded odd to me.
davey

Post by davey »

brick wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:17 pm On Huck Finn, “Big Jim” acceptable?
Well, he's not called that in the book (you can always check Project Gutenberg) but he is described as big (in unfortunate juxtaposition to another word), so you'd probably get away with it...
Funnily enough, in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer Jim is called "small."
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

i can never recall the Heart of Darkness guy.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Never heard of the Jutes, but I new Denmark is on the Jutland Peninsula, So I guessed "Juts".

99% sure that'll get a big X from the judges here...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed Deepfake. Missed it previously, got it later, but this time I couldn't recall it. Darn these newer words.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Rackme32 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:06 am Never heard of the Jutes, but I new Denmark is on the Jutland Peninsula, So I guessed "Juts".

99% sure that'll get a big X from the judges here...
Same here. Heard of Jutland so I assumed the people (who I hadn’t heard of) were the Juts. I’m taking credit as you could pronounce it with a long u.

davey wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:29 pm
brick wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:17 pm On Huck Finn, “Big Jim” acceptable?
Well, he's not called that in the book (you can always check Project Gutenberg) but he is described as big (in unfortunate juxtaposition to another word), so you'd probably get away with it...
Funnily enough, in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer Jim is called "small."
Never read Huck but am familiar with Jim. I have always heard of him described with another word that also has ig in it but would highly recommend one not use it on the show.

I was slightly surprised they even brought him up given the controversy of the use of that other word used by a guy born in 1835. Cancel culture being what it is it probably caused a minor uproar in the twitverse.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

DBear wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:17 pm
Then start reading the archives. Seriously, people. :x
I spend a fair amount of time myself in the archive and I heartily second your recommendation. In this case, though, it probably would not have done much good as until last night Jutes gets only 8 hits, 5 of which were in the clue and 3 the response. World History and Geography are my best LL cats but I can't recall knowing of the Jutes. I did know Jutland, and would have gotten to Jutes with a few more seconds, maybe. Will be visiting Denmark next month so hopefully I'll expand my knowledge of all things Danish.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I would have written "Juts." Pronounced with a long U, of course, like the French interjection Zut.

My petty nit is that deepfake is not a portmanteau, it's just a compound word. Portmanteau better works for blended words like smog and ginormous.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

nserven wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:12 am I would have written "Juts." Pronounced with a long U, of course, like the French interjection Zut.

My petty nit is that deepfake is not a portmanteau, it's just a compound word. Portmanteau better works for blended words like smog and ginormous.
Mine is morphing tech has been around for decades. The team behind 'Black or White' and the guy who did the Animorphs covers didn't use 'deepfake'. I was trying to come up with something akin to Photoshop...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)