FJs for the 5/22/23 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 5/22/23 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:50 pm

The original 1900 printing of this book was in a pale green dust jacket stamped in a vivid jewel tone of green
88%
Both of the names of these 2 lovers in a Shakespeare play come from Latin words for "blessed"
24%
When the opera "Lohengrin" premiered in 1850, this man, a future in-law of the composer, was the conductor
21%
Trained as an engineer, premier Li Peng championed this in 1992; it would ultimately displace over a million people
72%
The third-most famous group that invaded Britain in the 5th century, they gave their name to the continental part of Denmark
70%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
3%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
3%
A COUNTRY BY ANY OTHER NAME $2000: The former Ellice Islands are now this country that derives a substantial part of its revenue from leasing the .tv domain name
81%
TO THE FORT! $2000: Fort-de-France is the capital of this French Caribbean island & department
33%
GALACTIC VACATIONS $2000: If being a fitfluencer is your thing, head to Mars & try climbing this largest volcano in the solar system
64%
Peter Pan was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
1%
Troilus & Cressida was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
31%
Romeo & Juliet was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
I matched Ben with the incorrect response of Beatrice & Benedict.
13%
If the clue had been worded to give Beatrice & Benedick and want the play I could have named Much Ado about Nothing.
49%
I would have spelled the name "Benedict" if I'd thought of the right response.
16%
I would have spelled the name "Benedick" if I'd thought of the right response.
16%
As far as I can recall I had not heard of the Shakespeare characters Beatrice & Benedick prior to the Tuesday FJ! clue.
24%
Schumann was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
15%
Brahms was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
7%
I knew it was the dam in China for the Thursday FJ! clue but I could not recall the name.
7%
As far as I can recall I had not heard of Jutland prior to the Friday FJ! clue.
1%
NUMERICAL WORDS & PHRASES $200: It's the basic form most taxpayers use to report income & file their return -  I was correct with 1040.
67%
NUMERICAL WORDS & PHRASES $200: It's the basic form most taxpayers use to report income & file their return -  I missed with some other form.
19%

Total votes: 67

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 5/22/23 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

5/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN'S BOOKS

5/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The original 1900 printing of this book was in a pale green dust jacket stamped in a vivid jewel tone of green

5/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE'S CHARACTERS

5/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Both of the names of these 2 lovers in a Shakespeare play come from Latin words for "blessed"

5/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSICAL MUSIC

5/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When the opera "Lohengrin" premiered in 1850, this man, a future in-law of the composer, was the conductor

5/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASIA

5/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUETrained as an engineer, premier Li Peng championed this in 1992; it would ultimately displace over a million people

5/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GROUPS IN HISTORY

5/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The third-most famous group that invaded Britain in the 5th century, they gave their name to the continental part of Denmark

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
The Wizard of Oz (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Beatrice & Benedick
Liszt
Three Gorges Dam
the Jutes (Yes, you can check the box if you had Juts.)
The players were 5/15 (33.33%) with a 2-0-0-3-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have three $2000 clues correct by the players.

A COUNTRY BY ANY OTHER NAME $2000: The former Ellice Islands are now this country that derives a substantial part of its revenue from leasing the .tv domain name

TO THE FORT! $2000: Fort-de-France is the capital of this French Caribbean island & department

GALACTIC VACATIONS $2000: If being a fitfluencer is your thing, head to Mars & try climbing this largest volcano in the solar system

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Tuvalu
Martinique
Olympus Mons

Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat May 27, 2023 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 5/22/23 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Troilus & Cressida and would have written it as Benedict and could have named played with B&B
Schumann

Not good enough on capitals to get Martinique

Got 1040
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Considered Liszt, but opted for Schumann; got spoiled on the names but I'm confident I couldn't have gotten Beatrice. I would have gotten Benedick, spelled correctly. I got 1040.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Benedict &... (knew Benedick was from Much Ado About Nothing, but not the other character's name nor proper spelling), no guess, no guess.

Got 1040.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

Wed - Schumann

Clammed on 1040, but I would've haltingly added 'EZ' thinking they wanted an alphanumeric answer
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :(

Judging from the reaction here, Beatrice and Benedick should have been a Masters clue; I'd love to know how they would have done with it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(

Troilus & Cressida
Brahms
Don't recall hearing of Beatrice and Benedick before this.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Beatrice and Benedict
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

--- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I wavered between Schumann and Brahms but decided the latter had more of a future in 1850.

I wouldn't have guessed that either Beatrice or Benedick's fame would eclipse the other's, though I could easily see either being misspelled.

I also thought of My Cousin Vinny. Pesci would have made a good Columbo. Maybe he still could.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Spelled it Benedict. Knew the play by having seen the Branagh movie version more than once.
Put down Schumann to have something. Might have gotten this one with more time.
Knew the 1040 question. Amazed this was a TS.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I better have gotten the .tv question right! (And I did.)

I'll say it again -- the writers should aim for get rates in the 40-60% range. The difficulties this week were way too uneven.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I missed Ben's final game, so my husband filled me in on FJ. "Well, they asked for two Shakespeare characters," he began. His facial expression suggested that it was a maddening error, and I guessed. "Oh, no--he put Benedict." (As a teenage Shakespeare nerd, I embroidered some Beatrice/Benedick dialogue on a denim jacket.) It was a fair question, but I agree with boardie brick that there was a bitter "gotcha" flavor to it. :? Sorry to see Ben go.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:( :( :( :D :(

The worst week of FJs I've had in a long time.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Troilus & Cressida on Tuesday
I would prefer not to.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Troilus & Cressida, 70% chance I would have written "Benedict" and 30% chance of "Benedick." Depends on the day. But given the play I could have named Robert Sean Leonard as my favorite Claudio. He and Heston (in Branagh's Hamlet) are about the only two Americans in Shakespeare cinema I find tolerable.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:38 pm Troilus & Cressida, 70% chance I would have written "Benedict" and 30% chance of "Benedick." Depends on the day. But given the play I could have named Robert Sean Leonard as my favorite Claudio. He and Heston (in Branagh's Hamlet) are about the only two Americans in Shakespeare cinema I find tolerable.
So you DIDN'T like Michael Keaton's Dogberry? That's one of the funniest Shakespeare performances I've ever seen. He's the only one other than Branagh and Thompson that did an excellent job. Everyone else ranged from barely adequate down to embarrassing.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would have had a 5-for-five week except I also misspelled "Beatrice and Benedick."

Except I misspelled it as "Antony & Cleopatra." :roll:
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

Knew I was forgetting a trivia fact I had read before with the Wagner/Liszt thing. Went with Mahler, which is not a terrific guess timewise.

I read Much Ado About Nothing in college, and about all I remember off the top of my head is, the main characters are Beatrice and Benedick, and, Benedick's name is spelled funny. So that worked out. Had I not actually read the play, I would have had no idea; they're not character names that ever penetrated my consciousness beforehand.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:07 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:38 pm Troilus & Cressida, 70% chance I would have written "Benedict" and 30% chance of "Benedick." Depends on the day. But given the play I could have named Robert Sean Leonard as my favorite Claudio. He and Heston (in Branagh's Hamlet) are about the only two Americans in Shakespeare cinema I find tolerable.
So you DIDN'T like Michael Keaton's Dogberry? That's one of the funniest Shakespeare performances I've ever seen. He's the only one other than Branagh and Thompson that did an excellent job. Everyone else ranged from barely adequate down to embarrassing.
Guess we finally found something to disagree about. I found it to be like watching Beetlejuice in tights, and I barely made it through his scenes. But knowing that you liked it, I may have to go back and view it again.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.