Tuesday, May 30, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 30, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Tuesday, May 30, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY GROUPS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Windermere, Thirlmere & Grasmere are 3 of the sites that helped give a 19th century literary group this name

Diandra D’Alessio: 7200-7199=1
Ilhana Redzovic: 21000-600=20400 (New Champ)
Nathan Dennis: 10756-3745=7011

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Lake Poets (Diandra – Algonquin Round Table) (Ilhana – Algonquin Round Table) (Nathan – the Meadowmen)

Daily Doubles
Diandra: 400+400
Nathan: 7400+1356
Ilhana: 15600+5000

Coryats
Diandra: 7400
Ilhana: 17600
Nathan: 10600

Combined: 35,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Diandra: 2000
Ilhana: 6800
Nathan: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The board favorite 400+400 True Daily Double. :roll:

Who does Ilhana think she is? The staffers tell you whether to write "What" or "Who" for the FJ! Round. "Who" was the word today, yet Ilhana felt it necessary to cross it out for "What" just to make it fit her incorrect response.

The FJ! clue did not work for me either as I only recognized Windermere in connection with the Wilde work. Spending think time trying to think of some Irish group got me nowhere. To avoid a blank paper I wrote Bloomsbury before time was up.
Golf

Post by Golf »

theFJguy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:14 pm Diandra D’Alessio: 7200-7199=1
My guess is that Nathan didn’t want to appear arrogant by wagering to win the game.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I was reading something about the Lake Poets last week, which is why I put them down for the LL question on Friday about the Graveyard Poets. So of course I missed it here. Matched Mark in both response and reasoning.

The fun part is I can't remember where it was I was reading about the Lake Poets. Probably some random quiz bowl packet.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I got this right, but I would have gotten it faster if I had known this. (I presume this was the extra information on the card read by Mayim.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Robert K S wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:02 pm I got this right, but I would have gotten it faster if I had known this. (I presume this was the extra information on the card read by Mayim.)
I'm more familiar with the geographic part of the clue ("Lakes District") but was able to come up with Coleridge and Wordsworth before the Think! music ended. I don't know if I've ever heard them labeled "Lake Poets", though.

No controversy yet about the iffy pronunciation of the name Navritalova. I wonder if the fact that the way it's usually (mis)pronounced by non-Czech's called for a fair degree of slack.
Leander

Post by Leander »

da Doctah wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:52 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:02 pm I got this right, but I would have gotten it faster if I had known this. (I presume this was the extra information on the card read by Mayim.)
I'm more familiar with the geographic part of the clue ("Lakes District") but was able to come up with Coleridge and Wordsworth before the Think! music ended. I don't know if I've ever heard them labeled "Lake Poets", though.
Pretty much my process as well. I recognized two of the names as being lakes in the Lake District. I knew they were associated with poets and some other writers. Was not sure they were called Lake Poets, but that’s what I would have gone with.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Not sure if others thought the same - Ilhana had a different kind of focus and was pretty sure she will win.

Nathan buddy - what are you doing? Expected better for someone trying to get on the show for a while.

Had nothing better for FJ than the correct one.
Golf wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:47 pm
theFJguy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:14 pm Diandra D’Alessio: 7200-7199=1
My guess is that Nathan didn’t want to appear arrogant by wagering to win the game.
If you are his friend, you'll get it (For those who haven't watched the game, Nathan gave that as a reason for his random DD wager).
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

No controversy yet about the iffy pronunciation of the name Navritalova. I wonder if the fact that the way it's usually (mis)pronounced by non-Czech's called for a fair degree of slack.
? Diandra clearly pronounced it the way it's spelled and it was an obvious correct response per J! rules. In fact I bet redditors are going to criticize Mayim's pause on that ruling.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:55 pm I was reading something about the Lake Poets last week, which is why I put them down for the LL question on Friday about the Graveyard Poets. So of course I missed it here. Matched Mark in both response and reasoning.

The fun part is I can't remember where it was I was reading about the Lake Poets. Probably some random quiz bowl packet.
Cue the 'didn't we just have a question about this?' reaction, without being able to remember exactly the question (answer, in this case) was had.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Impressive moments by all three contestants.

Bialik did not remind Diandra that she could wager up to $1,000 even though she only had 400 when she hit the daily double.

Not to be too pedantic, but it is just Eagles. No "the."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

And yet, I've never heard a single soul refer to them as "Eagles."
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Hugo Z wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:30 pm And yet, I've never heard a single soul refer to them as "Eagles."
Glen Frey apparently did.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ilhana (who may or may not be Diandra's twin playing under an assumed name) had some impressive gets and a no-nonsense determined look that had me rooting for her. If she can manage another win or two, she'll get a buzzer rhythm down that's going to be hard to beat.

DD1 was a coin flip for me. Does the famous abolitionist stop publishing when the war is over (1865) or when the Emancipation Proclamation is issued (1863)? Mrs. Penguin and I both went the wrong way with 1863. Luckily for Diandra, she guessed right and DOUBLED her money.

Only got the $200 clue in THE BAND'S SONGS TELL A STORY. Correctly guessed Black-Eyed Peas for the $400 clue but absolutely wouldn't have buzzed in. Didn't recognize any of the Eagles titles, even though "Pretty Maids All In A Row" is on the Hotel California album, which I have. I just played it and it doesn't sound familiar at all. Kind of a nothing song. Don't know anything by Coldplay other than Viva La Vida. Clueless about Rage Against the Machine. Based on the picture I'd have guessed Red Hot Chili Peppers, a band with a similar visual vibe (to me anyway. For those who are wondering, yes I'm referring to the shirtless douche and associates vibe).

Surprised no one knew the middle-G name of St. Jerome's Bible translation.

Also surprised by the 1849 stumper in THE YEAR THAT WAS. I admit that Taylor's inauguration year is a bit obscure, though I'll never tire of saying that this is the kind of info it will really repay a prospective contestant to study. But coupling that with 80,000 people pouring into California should get the nickel to drop.

Gotta learn the sections of the brain. There's easy pretend money there that I'm throwing away. I don't know my medulla from my oblongata. Like the contestants, I went for cerebellum when they wanted cerebrum.

Not terribly surprised that no one got The Great Mouse Detective. In the 80s we all thought of classic animated features as belonging to Disney's past. The Great Mouse Detective did not change our minds on this point. Neither had The Rescuers, which was Diandra's not-bad guess. I remember just assuming that The Little Mermaid would be another mediocre effort and being surprised at how strongly positive all the reviews and word-of-mouth were. Even so, we didn't bother seeing it in the theater because Disney animated films just weren't a priority. VHS would be good enough. By the time Beauty and the Beast came out, we knew to buy tickets and see it on a big screen.

Proudest get of the evening was Moravia. The clue was a triple stumper which bought me time to decide I was confident enough to buzz in.

Pre-called Bloomsbury Group, Algonquin Round Table, and the Inklings off the FJ category. The 19th century spec in the clue had me immediately discarding all three. The only 19th century literary group I could think of was the Lake Poets. And once I thought of them, I saw how all those meres (small lakes) confirmed the guess. Not terribly surprised to see it triple stump, but wouldn't have been surprised by a get or two. Nathan's guess of the Meadowmen was some creative desperation and much better than leaving a blank. The other two guessing the 20th century Algonquin Round Table may have just been avoiding a blank as well. I approve of this, so I refrain from critiquing "bad" guesses when it's not easy to come up with a good one. It's not like there are dozens of J!-level 19th century literary groups to choose from. If you don't think of the right one, you probably won't think of one from the 19th century at all. Frustrating to be in that situation.

I liked all three players. I'm looking forward to seeing Ilhana again tomorrow. She brings an enjoyable intensity to the game.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Immediately before tonight’s episode, I was watching a rerun of Las Vegas. I couldn’t help but think that Diandra looked a lot like the actress Camille Guaty.

davey

Post by davey »

cf1140 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:06 pm

? Diandra clearly pronounced it the way it's spelled and it was an obvious correct response per J! rules. In fact I bet redditors are going to criticize Mayim's pause on that ruling.
I was a little miffed that Mayim felt she had to "correct" Diandra, especially since I believe her own pronunciation of Men-DEL in the same clue was a bit off...usually said MEN-dl. She was no doubt thinking of Howie...But a slight emphasis on the "wrong" syllable is usually fine with me... :) And it's Navratilova...

Once I realized that those places were not in Bloomsbury, my precall (and that the Bloomsbury Group was not in the 19th C.), I pivoted to the right FJ response.
Last edited by davey on Tue May 30, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.