Friday, June 2, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 2, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:53 pm
Vowela wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:32 pm "Nixon Quits" here. While the answer obviously had something to do with Nixon stepping down as President, I'm not sure how to figure out what wording might've been used for the headline.
Resigns just sounds more formal than quits, so it is more likely the Old Gray Lady would use, especially in 1974.
Exactly. "Quits" would be a word for one of those nasty things we've lately learned about on this site, tabloids... :)
Although the Daily News went formal-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-York-Daily ... 459?_ul=IL
The Post went the other way - though this is actually from the day before-
https://nypost.com/2001/08/08/new-york- ... ug-8-1974/
Sounds like they were spreading a rumor! But I note that it was a liberal paper at the time, before Murdoch...
Last edited by davey on Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:09 pm DD3 was just weird. I've always known it as the "judicial" branch, not judiciary...

Any reason "credibility" won't work for DJ24?
I think it works. They both have the same root, though somewhat different derivations in the OED (and of course, they mean something slightly different)-

credibility
< post-classical Latin credibilitas credence, belief (13th cent. in a British source; 15th cent. in a continental source) < classical Latin crēdibilis credible adj. + -tās (see -ty suffix1; compare -ity suffix). Compare French credibilité (1651).

credulity
or its etymon (ii) classical Latin crēdulitās trustfulness, readiness to believe, imprudence, in post-classical Latin also (with positive connotation) faith, credence, profession of the Christian faith (4th cent.) < crēdulus (see credulous adj.) + -tās (see -ty suffix1; compare -ity suffix).

If you say judiciary, you don't have to add "branch," since it's already a noun... :)
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

Today's FJ is a stark example of why it's so important for contestants to know the years presidents served and the years they were born and died. These will give you a fighting chance in a large number of presidents/presidency related clues, even if it doesn't guarantee a correct response every time.

On a separate note...is it just me or do there seem to be a lot of recent examples of contestants whiffing on POTUS-related clues, even easy ones?? i.e., 12/29/21 where no contestant could name who was FLOTUS from 1809-1817? Or last year when no one knew that PT-109 was JFK's boat? Maybe it just stands out to me more since this is my best category, but, it does seem to be happening more and more often over the past several years.

LT: Lake Erie, Columbus, Akron DD, Wright Patterson, colonel, bronchitis, Rhode Island.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

DCFan1911 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:13 pm Today's FJ is a stark example of why it's so important for contestants to know the years presidents served and the years they were born and died. These will give you a fighting chance in a large number of presidents/presidency related clues, even if it doesn't guarantee a correct response every time.
Years they served? Absolutely. Born and died? Other than well-known dates such as assassinations, I’d be in trouble. I don’t even know the years the most recent deceased presidents died, but don’t see them coming up too often.
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

Felt like the end of Jared's interview was tailor-made for a response like, "a hockey puck coming out of left field would be interesting!"

1974, an important news headline, and "a time for healing" should lead to Nixon, but I don't know if would have been 100% sure of the wording without remembering this FJ!: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game ... =1969+1974

Having the post-FJ! explanation be that "Nixon resigned in the face of impeachment" made it seem to me like Mayim thought that people missed because they didn't know that fact. Reading it so obviously off the card made it look like she didn't know that fact. (Obviously, that's not true.)
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:37 pm
DCFan1911 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:13 pm Today's FJ is a stark example of why it's so important for contestants to know the years presidents served and the years they were born and died. These will give you a fighting chance in a large number of presidents/presidency related clues, even if it doesn't guarantee a correct response every time.
Years they served? Absolutely. Born and died? Other than well-known dates such as assassinations, I’d be in trouble. I don’t even know the years the most recent deceased presidents died, but don’t see them coming up too often.
Deaths in office, plus Adams and Jefferson, should be fine, I would think.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

ACW wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:29 pm Okay, at least Jong had the right idea.

But Sylvia... :oops:
Sylvia had the right idea if she was going for straightforward and dull; she was just a bit off with the event. Jong's answer, I will venture to guess, was based on the familiar claim that the pardon (about one month later) facilitated national healing.

I remember watching Nixon's announcement on television that August 8, but I think his farewell remarks the next day ("my mother was a saint" et al.) have been better remembered.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i surely do remember august 9, 1974. even though i was sobering up from an incredible drunk after the second of two days of the new york state bar exam (which i passed on my first attempt).
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

Vowela wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:32 pm "Nixon Quits" here. While the answer obviously had something to do with Nixon stepping down as President, I'm not sure how to figure out what wording might've been used for the headline.
I think the appropriate wording is "stepped down". I thought 'time of healing' might of had to do with the hippie movement or something considering they talk about spiritual healing and that was around the 1960s 1970s.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jamie wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:50 pm
Woppy T wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:37 pm
Deaths in office, plus Adams and Jefferson, should be fine, I would think.
Maybe Washington in 1799, only one to die in the 18th century.

Usually they would throw in some hint like location for a clue like when someone famous died.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Vowela wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:32 pm "Nixon Quits" here.
Same here.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:30 am
Same here.
For those who went this way, did you consider "Nixon Resigns" and opt for this instead? Frustrating to get this close and not close the deal.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:40 am
Same here.
For those who went this way, did you consider "Nixon Resigns" and opt for this instead? Frustrating to get this close and not close the deal.
I kinda "saw" the headline in my mind and just instablurted with supreme confidence. Surely some other paper ran it. Did not stop to think that NYT would have phrased it in a manner less tabloid-y. ;)

BTW, when Nixon's helicopter touched down in Orange County after the resignation, I was there. The Watergate hearings severely disrupted my Huckleberry Hound (et al.) TV viewing schedule, so I was there against my will. Thanks, Mom. I remember staring at a lot of people's shins and and a grueling Bataan death march back to the Bonneville station wagon.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

squarekara wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:42 am
Same here.
I kinda "saw" the headline in my mind and just instablurted with supreme confidence. Surely some other paper ran it. Did not stop to think that NYT would have phrased it in a manner less tabloid-y. ;)

BTW, when Nixon's helicopter touched down in Orange County after the resignation, I was there. The Watergate hearings severely disrupted my Huckleberry Hound (et al.) TV viewing schedule, so I was there against my will. Thanks, Mom. I remember staring at a lot of people's shins and and a grueling Bataan death march back to the Bonneville station wagon.
Did you bring eggs? Or at least an extra shoe? (Though I'm guessing Mom wouldn't've approved.)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alietr wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:17 am
squarekara wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:42 am
Same here.

Did you bring eggs? Or at least an extra shoe? (Though I'm guessing Mom wouldn't've approved.)
It was Mom's Woodstock. :lol:
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

jamie wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:45 pm Having the post-FJ! explanation be that "Nixon resigned in the face of impeachment" made it seem to me like Mayim thought that people missed because they didn't know that fact. Reading it so obviously off the card made it look like she didn't know that fact. (Obviously, that's not true.)
I get that impression from Mayim a lot - like she's highlighting the wrong idea or word with her after-clue responses. It's hard to quantify, but it's there.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:11 pm The wife of Jimmy Carter is ROSE-a-lyn. Surprised the neuroscientist didn't know.
I've always pronounced her name with a short O, and don't recall ever being corrected or observing people pronouncing it differently. Searching out a few interview clips, newsfolks seem to say it the ROSE way at least when interviewing her. And she said it that way herself so I fully concede that I've been wrong for 40ish years. Granted I was 2 years old when she left the White House so she hasn't been on front pages most of my life.

But most importantly, what on earth does a neuroscience degree have to do with how to pronounce the name of a famous person?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:59 am
floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:11 pm The wife of Jimmy Carter is ROSE-a-lyn. Surprised the neuroscientist didn't know.
what on earth does a neuroscience degree have to do with how to pronounce the name of a famous person?
It was elegant reference, and I shouldn't have used it.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:59 am
I've always pronounced her name with a short O, and don't recall ever being corrected or observing people pronouncing it differently. Searching out a few interview clips, newsfolks seem to say it the ROSE way at least when interviewing her. And she said it that way herself so I fully concede that I've been wrong for 40ish years. Granted I was 2 years old when she left the White House so she hasn't been on front pages most of my life.

But most importantly, what on earth does a neuroscience degree have to do with how to pronounce the name of a famous person?
The mispronunciation is within J! rules and is, as you say, common...so with all the things we wish MB would correct about hosting, this is petty and, as I've read about other recent posts, not worth mentioning...
ACW

Post by ACW »

Lefty wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:48 am
ACW wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:29 pm Okay, at least Jong had the right idea.

But Sylvia... :oops:
Sylvia had the right idea if she was going for straightforward and dull; she was just a bit off with the event.
August of a non-Presidential election year?