Thursday, June 8, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Thursday, June 8, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Fourth podium poll is up:

viewtopic.php?t=7113
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

theFJguy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:58 pm FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
What is dubbed "the world’s first initial public offering" took place in 1602 in this current European capital

Suresh Krishnan: 12800+4300=17100 (3x = $38,199)
David Ford: 4400-4200=200
Allison Strekal: 17000-8601=8399

Correct response:
Spoiler
Amsterdam (David – London) (Allison – Berlin)

Daily Doubles
Suresh: 400+1000
David: 1600+1600
Suresh: 5600+5600

Coryats
Suresh: 8000
David: 6000
Allison: 17000

Combined: 31,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Suresh: 2400
David: 1200
Allison: 7000
David missed his DD.

I just noticed Suresh’s bet gave David a chance to win on a sole get. So he should have bet smaller.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

In "A 'mid' category"
A:It describes air heavy with water vapor
Q: What is humid?
Correct response.
But, the more water vapor in the air, the less dense the air is, since a molecule of water (H2O) is has less mass than the mixture of nitrogen and oxygen molecules it displaces.
No effect on the game. Just a nit to pick.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:30 pm ...

Daily Doubles

David: 1600+1600

David missed his DD.
Fixed, thanks.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

Would smidge be acceptable in place of smidgen for A "Mid" Category $800?

The Catch of the Day category felt like it belonged in yesterday's game with four TSes.

Suresh has won three games so far with 15 or fewer correct responses...but unlike Megan Wachspress and Tim Aten's first three games, Suresh is 3/3 on FJs.

If Allison doesn't end up in the SCC, I'll assume it was because she stuck to the top of the board even with one category and DD left.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrchidEntity wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:49 pm Would smidge be acceptable in place of smidgen for A "Mid" Category $800?
I think so. That was my response as well.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Didn’t get the David Letterman question and also missed Lil Pop Culture $1200 & $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:52 pm I got this right for the wrong reason. I assumed it had something to do with the tulip craze.
Another tulip thinker here
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

bkellysky wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:40 pm In "A 'mid' category"
Correct response.
But, the more water vapor in the air, the less dense the air is, since a molecule of water (H2O) is has less mass than the mixture of nitrogen and oxygen molecules it displaces.
TIL that humidity follows the ideal gas law models. I've always assumed water vapor was still in a condensed phase due to the hydrogen bonds, and somehow displaced less volume due to these attractions. The MW of 18, vs. the diatomic elements at 28, 32, and argon at 36 did not escape my notice but I did not think it consequential below the official boiling point at 100 C or the triple point in vacuum. Mind blown. Thanks for the nit. I will put it in front of my wit.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:37 pm
Correct response.
TIL that humidity follows the ideal gas law models. I've always assumed water vapor was still in a condensed phase due to the hydrogen bonds, and somehow displaced less volume due to these attractions. The MW of 18, vs. the diatomic elements at 28, 32, and argon at 36 did not escape my notice but I did not think it consequential below the official boiling point at 100 C or the triple point in vacuum. Mind blown. Thanks for the nit. I will put it in front of my wit.
This is why baseballs travel farther in hot, humid weather. There is less drag in the less dense humid air.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

If I'd been a contestant (and rang in appropriately), I would have been sorely tempted to use a high falsetto voice to sing "in the year 2000."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Today's Earth Science Picture of the Day is the Corinth Canal:

The Corinth Canal: Connecting the Ionian Sea to the Aegen Sea
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Thanks for the nit. I will put it in front of my wit.
[/quote]

Thanks for that closing line!!!
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Woof wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:20 am
This is why baseballs travel farther in hot, humid weather. There is less drag in the less dense humid air.
[/quote]
Thanks for that great example - it happens in Atlanta; a combination of some elevation and higher temperature and humidity is a good example.
Denver's air is often dry, but the ball goes further due to the lower air density due to altitude.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I didn’t get this right away. At first, I was thinking of a country that had a different capital from its present day one, but the date had me think of the Dutch East India company, so I went with Amsterdam.
Harley R
Contributor

Post by Harley R »

The Corinth Canal happens to be today's Earth Science Picture of the Day:
https://epod.usra.edu/blog/2023/06/the- ... -sea-.html
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Correct response.
As a side digression, I remember listening to a baseball announcer in the 60s, no memory who it was, rant about one of his favorite pet peeves concerning the just-announced Milwaukee-to-Atlanta move of the Braves. He would complain that many commentators talked about how much harder Hank Aaron would have it once he had to play in a ballpark with "heavy air." He pointed out that humid air is less dense than dry air, hot air is less dense than cooler air, and that Atlanta would have the highest elevation in MLB. He therefore predicted lots of home runs. Sure enough, Atlanta Fulton County Stadium became known as "The Launching Pad".
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

I have watched this show long enough to know that the Jeopardy! writers use "silent letter" to mean "a letter whose function in pronunciation we can't be bothered to understand" -- but even by that standard, the claim that the Q in lacquer is silent is very creative. In words derived from French and Spanish, qu is pronounced /k/ (compare liquor), and, in this case, if you removed the qu, you'd get lacer, which would presumably be pronounced differently. Do the writers think that the K in packer is silent?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A Wray wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:27 pm I have watched this show long enough to know that the Jeopardy! writers use "silent letter" to mean "a letter whose function in pronunciation we can't be bothered to understand" -- but even by that standard, the claim that the Q in lacquer is silent is very creative. In words derived from French and Spanish, qu is pronounced /k/ (compare liquor), and, in this case, if you removed the qu, you'd get lacer, which would presumably be pronounced differently. Do the writers think that the K in packer is silent?
Ha!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

A Wray wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:27 pm I have watched this show long enough to know that the Jeopardy! writers use "silent letter" to mean "a letter whose function in pronunciation we can't be bothered to understand" -- but even by that standard, the claim that the Q in lacquer is silent is very creative. In words derived from French and Spanish, qu is pronounced /k/ (compare liquor), and, in this case, if you removed the qu, you'd get lacer, which would presumably be pronounced differently. Do the writers think that the K in packer is silent?
Remove the Q from lacquer and you get lacuer. Why are you removing the U also? The Q is silent, because next to the U, the word should be pronounced Lac-kwer. But it isn't. Because the Q is silent.