LearnedLeague 99 (LL99) Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LearnedLeague 99 (LL99) Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yes, OMD is a fine guess. Right era and right style of music.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Brain-farted and put Mary Tyler Moore instead of Dick Van Dyke. Would not be surprised if I'm not the only one to do that.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:14 pm
Sherm wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:09 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:56 am
I won defensively yesterday 7(5)-6(5) with my opponent inexplicably giving me three points for Of Mice and Men. We both missed Boston. I knew the question involved WNBA players, but hadn't heard of Aliyah Boston.
Since she was from Oregon, I'm guessing that Ionescu got you there.
Nope, actually the two names I recalled were (Kelsey) Plum and (Breanna) Stewart. Plum because she played at Washington and Stewart because she played for the Seattle Storm.
Jewell Loyd and Breanna Stewart were back-to-back Storm #1 picks, which played a huge part in their resurgence late in the last decade. Sue Bird got to win WNBA titles with both Lauren Jackson and Stewie. Jackson and Bird were back-to-back #1 picks in 2001 and 2002 respectively.

I recognized more than half the women listed but had no idea who was this year's #1 pick.

Stuck at the bottom of A Cont for now, tied with bomtr for most CAA at 39. Nowhere to go but up.

ETA: One more OMD here.

ETA2: Luckily for me, A Cont has 28 players this season, and one of the two I don't have to face is bomtr. Unluckily for all of us, perpetual ronin BurgessD--winner of 12 separate rundles in his past 16 seasons--landed in our rundle this time.
Last edited by reddpen on Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In and out of the pool four times
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

There was a contrabassoon question in my first season in 2011 that I got wrong because I thought there was no way contrabassoon would be an answer, and I did it again yesterday. (The 2011 question had a picture, so there was less excuse then.) But given my perfectly bad defense—my opponent scored 7(3)—I would have had a Buckner loss if I'd gotten it, so I'm glad to keep that blemish off my record. In 12 years of LL I've never been on either side of a Buckner.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

OK, maybe I'm just showing my age, but caisson got 31% leaguewide? It took me half a day to get that song out of my head after reading the question. I will note that it clearly wasn't an issue of spelling since my answer of cason was accepted.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:39 am OK, maybe I'm just showing my age, but caisson got 31% leaguewide? It took me half a day to get that song out of my head after reading the question. I will note that it clearly wasn't an issue of spelling since my answer of cason was accepted.
I had no idea the word "caisson" was in the song, but luckily knew both definitions.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

for Monday, golly I was near a forfeit. (oh I thought I did it looks like I read the time wrong and the day wrong) The only reason I was actually on ironically was to Tuesday is for the end of December. (since the days you can choose are rolling) points basically random. did not really get time to think of answers. (I think I would have gotten the first one if I had time I was already on the right track though I chose bewitched instead of one another's I was thinking. (I think I was remembering someone's wrong answer on that path) I went generic with cornflakes. (I guess Thanksgiving day is useful for something) for the book when I was trying to figure out the book that Oklahoma was based on but went with double indemnity in the end. (I have to fill them in 15 minutes)

in terms of the music one if it was 90s and 2000s techno it would probably be a different story.

yesterday ,for question number 4 I was wondering for the address and what alphabet. (Hebrew, Latin or other) when I saw the answer the funny thing is I think I kind a got in the long version (this is going to be butchered spelling and phonetic) seplickor but I knew that was not 4 Latin letters. (it seems that it was a nickname of that particular term)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:39 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:39 am OK, maybe I'm just showing my age, but caisson got 31% leaguewide? It took me half a day to get that song out of my head after reading the question. I will note that it clearly wasn't an issue of spelling since my answer of cason was accepted.
I had no idea the word "caisson" was in the song, but luckily knew both definitions.
I first knew the song as "The Caissons Go Rolling Along", so it was an easy in.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I apparently needed a refresher of the admonition to Read.Every.Word. of Thorsten's clues.
After I've mentally baked in my answer I usually share the interesting ones in twelvefootgirl's wheelhouse. I had decided on Ovaltine, and then read the cereal clue to her, but immediately latched on to the "three letter name" as I read it. I had Kix before I finished the sentence with 70% confidence.
I've landed some guesses and most of my misses were ignorance, not stupidity. I have no idea who these lady basketball players are, or the electronic musicians.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Game Girl wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:12 pm I went generic with cornflakes.
Be sure to read the questions carefully. It specified the cereal has a three-letter name.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Had my luckiest LL day ever yesterday.

Q2-Took a wild guess on an SSR

Q3-Only one I knew cold. If you ever face me, give me zero if the question involves oddball presidential trivia.

Q4-I did figure out it was Aussie football and luckily my mental coin didn’t land on Sydney

Q5-Never read the book and really not sure of the plot but the year and Adam, Eve, and the Devil sounds like it might be Paradise Lost

Q6-Rotary Club sounds like a name for rotating meeting spots but I didn’t know it was a business club, thought it was service oriented like the others mentioned but I put it down anyway.

Then to top off my luck, my opponent gave me zero points on Q1, a question that I couldn’t even come up with a guess and never heard of the answer. So it was a Dolly day for me even though I didn’t dress up like a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader. Gets me up to 15th in my D rundle. Hooray for me!!!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Should have had a 6 pack but had two go wide:
* Barbara Bush's middle name being Pierce (she's a descendant of the president) made me say Pierce and Wilson. Would have got this if I'd just RTFQ.
* Parsed the Aussie Rules question correctly but forgot Victoria is the name of a state and not a city. Should have gotten to Melbourne there.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:52 pm I apparently needed a refresher of the admonition to Read.Every.Word. of Thorsten's clues.
After I've mentally baked in my answer I usually share the interesting ones in twelvefootgirl's wheelhouse. I had decided on Ovaltine, and then read the cereal clue to her, but immediately latched on to the "three letter name" as I read it. I had Kix before I finished the sentence with 70% confidence.
I've landed some guesses and most of my misses were ignorance, not stupidity. I have no idea who these lady basketball players are, or the electronic musicians.
I also have to remember to RTFQ. I misread the clue originally as "three word name" and had nothing but "honey nut cheerios," knowing it was wrong. I'm really glad I went back and reread it a fourth time, as it salvaged a tie.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:47 am Should have had a 6 pack but had two go wide:
* Barbara Bush's middle name being Pierce (she's a descendant of the president) made me say Pierce and Wilson. Would have got this if I'd just RTFQ.
* Parsed the Aussie Rules question correctly but forgot Victoria is the name of a state and not a city. Should have gotten to Melbourne there.
I saw that you missed the Prez question and wondered where you went wrong. I had Jefferson instantly, but had to mentally go through every 20th C President to come up with Wilson.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:47 am * Barbara Bush's middle name being Pierce (she's a descendant of the president) made me say Pierce and Wilson. Would have got this if I'd just RTFQ.
Not a descendant, just a relative. Google results say the precise relationship is fourth cousin, four times removed (and I've confirmed this for myself on lists of descendants of their first common ancestor, colonist Thomas Pierce who died in 1683).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Pierce has no direct descendants as all three of his children died young. The last one died when the family was headed to DC for the inauguration. The train jumped the tracks and his son was beheaded in the wreck.

Probably no surprise Pierce would drink himself to death.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:09 pm
teapot37 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:47 am Should have had a 6 pack but had two go wide:
I saw that you missed the Prez question and wondered where you went wrong. I had Jefferson instantly, but had to mentally go through every 20th C President to come up with Wilson.
I was the other way around. I thought of Wilson right away.

Per some discussions I saw on Facebook, apparently Thorsten accepted Reagan and Clinton in addition to Wilson and Jefferson as an acceptable answer. He must have decided the question wording wasn't clear enough.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Somehow, I almost solved the latitude question through geography and math. Stockton is about a California's distance away from Canada, (I don't know how I know this; alternatively, my brain was gaslighting itself...) but 800 miles from the 49th parallel, let's guess 100 mi for one degree. That feels like too much but there's got to be a trick to this. 49 - 800/100 = 41. Thorston wouldn't want to be -that- specific, and I'm overestimating, let's put 40 down. NIce round number.

*submits*

38?! How's anyone supposed to get that accurate?! I don't...wait, why does that seem familiar... *searches* Ooooooh...it was a history question... not math/geo...

Later yesterday I remembered to search how far apart latitude degrees actually are. It's 69mi. So let's try what I did earlier with the real value for a lark. 49 - 800/70...round it...subtract...

And I still can't rule out my brain gaslighting me with that whole CA's worth from Canada thing. That's just -weird-. Even for me.

Didn't cost me, per se...my defense was the bigger cause of my 5-4 tie...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Very sneaky to effectively throw in a second world history question yesterday with the 38th parallel. I missed that one and put 40 degrees north. Once I saw the answer I realized I should have read the list of cities more carefully.

My opponent defensive assignment oddness yesterday was my opponent assigning The Wicker Man zero points despite Movies being one of my worst categories. I guess he was correct because I got it right, but interesting that he thought that question was so easy. I still lost due to him getting six-pack and me missing the 38th question.

I did have bit of hesitancy yesterday wondering whether the ace or the ten was counted as not being a "number card."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yeah, I missed the historical import of the latitude question. Instead, I knew I lived near 38°. I used to do a bicycle trip on the Eastern Shore that passed by a restaurant called Latitude 38 (now gone), and I have driven through Charlottesville many times, which is definitely south of here. But I missed the fact that I'm at about 38.5° (and the restaurant wasn't really at 38°) and you have to drive pretty far to change a latitude number. I guessed 35°. Fortunately, it did not cost me the win.