LearnedLeague 99 (LL99) Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: LearnedLeague 99 (LL99) Thread

Post by AFRET CMS »

Glad to see it was a tough day for others, too. Seeing eminent Llamas discuss the challenges the day presented makes my one correct hurt just a little bit less. Just a little. Got fraternal twins, but missed three with bad coin flips and not-quite-close-enough guesses.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

Coming into the week, I lost 4 in a row, when I was happy with my performance about every day. My opponents missed 2 out of 24 questions. Then Monday I get a 1(2) -0(1) win. Can you say, fluke.

Yesterday, things got back to normal with a 7(5)-6(4) loss. I'm having the best season I've ever had with total correct answers, I'm also 3-8-3, and well on my way to the B rundle that I belong in.

Getting 4 right just doesn't cut it (0-5-1), and when I get 5 right, the result is a tossup (1-1-1). I did manage six pack on day three, if i get a second one this season, it will be the first time I've pulled that off.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Done in by knowing a little, but not enough.

UN charter and first meetings in San Francisco. I think I learned that with a learned league question from back in the day before I was a llama.

My first instinct was United Nations, but thought about the San Fran connection and switched to League of Nations, since I knew Wilson was involved in getting it going. Cant say I know anymore than his 14 points.

(6)5-(5)4 loss, now 0-6-1, when getting 4 right.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

For the first time in my LL career I drank a beer two days in a row. They were only my 6th and 7th six-packs in 791 career MDs. I may buy a lottery ticket today.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:18 am For the first time in my LL career I drank a beer two days in a row. They were only my 6th and 7th six-packs in 791 career MDs. I may buy a lottery ticket today.
Nice! I don't think I have ever done that (I've only had 26 in my 40 seasons, though, so no surprise there.).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Midseason classic answers are in.

Got a surprising victory yesterday when it turned out leeks was okay and I got three points for it.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Is there a reason "Xiaoping" would not be acceptable without Deng, because I got negged for it.

I was happy I spelled it right. It would turn a 4(3)-3(3) loss into a 6(4)-4(3) win, and I surely need one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sherm wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:08 pm Is there a reason "Xiaoping" would not be acceptable without Deng, because I got negged for it.

I was happy I spelled it right. It would turn a 4(3)-3(3) loss into a 6(4)-4(3) win, and I surely need one.
Deng is his family name. It would be like if he asked who our current president is and you just put Joe.

That being said, I have seen him be more lenient than that in accepting things. It wouldn’t have bothered me if it had been accepted. I would suggest filing an appeal but I suspect he decided ahead of time to deny it.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

and I know that, but I don't think about it. You ask me about Mao and that is what I'd call him and leave Zedong off. Though I know both well enough, but he is probably the exception with me. I mean Mao is pretty big in history.

I guess its an american thing. You ask me about the current chairman and I'd say Jinping, because I see it spelled all the time, and I guess the better answer is Xi, which at least I know.

I can honestly say, I don't think that I would have gotten to Deng, but I know Xiaoping has worked on sporcle (jetpunk) quizzes, and Deng should be easier. I guess we will see if it sticks in a year.

The Japanese president that was assassinated last year. He's Abe, and I not giving you his first name without looking it up, but I'm sure it stars with an "S". I'm just tuned into working with the second name. Its that simple.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Sherm wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:17 pm The Japanese president that was assassinated last year. He's Abe, and I not giving you his first name without looking it up, but I'm sure it stars with an "S". I'm just tuned into working with the second name. Its that simple.
Thing is, in Japanese he would be called Abe Shinzo.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:23 am Midseason classic answers are in.

Got a surprising victory yesterday when it turned out leeks was okay and I got three points for it.
That’s interesting. I dithered between potatoes and leeks, coming down on the side of the former since the question asked for major ingredient. And I think Parmentier pins it to potato. I wonder why TAI accepted leeks.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So pissed at myself. So pissed. If I actually -read- gimlet instead of gibson, I wouldn't have put onion and I might very well have remembered how to make a gimlet. And maybe could've gone 12/12 with almost perfect moneying. (Matrix instead of Papua New Guinea still would've cost me but...so close...it would've been glorious.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Blancanieves (10), Morbius (5), Farmageddon (7), The Batman (8)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

8/12 for me and 4/5 on money, but being in Serengeti C I still had the top score in my group. Not automatic bump to B for it, though. :)
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:53 pm So pissed at myself. So pissed. If I actually -read- gimlet instead of gibson, I wouldn't have put onion and I might very well have remembered how to make a gimlet. And maybe could've gone 12/12 with almost perfect moneying. (Matrix instead of Papua New Guinea still would've cost me but...so close...it would've been glorious.)
I also put onion and moneyed it. Moneying the booze question when you don't drink is always a bad idea.

I also dithered between moneying Shirley Temple or George Clooney. I chose...poorly.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

10 right and perfect moneying for a top 100 finish. I guessed wrongly for the gimlet ingredient and the big three's product, but I guessed correctly on Prussians and decided to take one chance moneying it. (My other moneys were on answers I knew were right.) Tiger King was guess-ish: I knew what show the question referred to, but I wasn't positive that was the title. There was no temptation to money that, because I felt it wasn't a tough question.

I thought it was weird that I should be #94 of 9,770 participants and have that counted as 98th percentile, but I guess it gets rounded down because #94 was a seven-way tie from #94 to #100.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Definitely not my set of questions. I only got 3 right and finished in the 1st percentile.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:53 pm So pissed at myself. So pissed. If I actually -read- gimlet instead of gibson, I wouldn't have put onion and I might very well have remembered how to make a gimlet. And maybe could've gone 12/12 with almost perfect moneying. (Matrix instead of Papua New Guinea still would've cost me but...so close...it would've been glorious.)
I prefer beer, but a gimlet is my go-to cocktail. Making them at home, I "cheat" by using Rose's Lime Juice instead of separate simple syrup and lime juice. (I only got 9/12 overall, though.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Hardest question ever? After seeing the answer, I thought low 2-digits, but wow. One person in my rundle got it right, and it wasn't even the person with the .925 get rate.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:39 am Hardest question ever? After seeing the answer, I thought low 2-digits, but wow. One person in my rundle got it right, and it wasn't even the person with the .925 get rate.
It was 0/24 (not counting two forfeits) in my D rundle.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:39 am Hardest question ever? After seeing the answer, I thought low 2-digits, but wow. One person in my rundle got it right, and it wasn't even the person with the .925 get rate.
There’s a Broadway musical coming this spring about Lempicka.