LearnedLeague 99 (LL99) Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: LearnedLeague 99 (LL99) Thread

Post by StevenH »

My opponent for yesterday in my C rundle had a career .621 batting average in art, and it was their 7th best category. I gave them a 3 for de Lempicka, as I was predicting that the answer would be someone obscure.

They were one of the 4% who knew her. Luckily I still escaped with a 5(2)-4(3) win.

I am also kicking myself for picking Djibouti over Somalia, even though they gave me 0 for that one.
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:06 am
alietr wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:39 am Hardest question ever? After seeing the answer, I thought low 2-digits, but wow. One person in my rundle got it right, and it wasn't even the person with the .925 get rate.
There’s a Broadway musical coming this spring about Lempicka.
So, would 'Lempicka' be considered the acceptable last name for an answer, or 'de Lempicka'?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

mahatma wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:33 am
alietr wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:39 am Hardest question ever? After seeing the answer, I thought low 2-digits, but wow. One person in my rundle got it right, and it wasn't even the person with the .925 get rate.
So, would 'Lempicka' be considered the acceptable last name for an answer, or 'de Lempicka'?
Unsure. I submitted "De Lempicka"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Randy G once posted an art quiz either on this board or the Sony board that was, as I recall, "put these images in order of when they were painted." It had a Tamara de Lempicka painting in it, and the art deco style made it very dateable even if you had never seen it before (as I hadn't). I PMed him afterwards because I wanted to show off how many artists (and titles, maybe) I could name of the paintings he had posted, and he filled me in on what I didn't know. I credit him ultimately with my get on the LL question.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

And, according to my Player Tracker, you are one of the few who got it. Her name is familiar to me, but I couldn't pull it at the time.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

De Lempicka was clearly going to play tough, but I was somewhat impressed that 32% knew what a fresnel lens is.

Not a single person on my player tracker got De Lempicka. Personally I'd never even heard of her.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:57 pm De Lempicka was clearly going to play tough, but I was somewhat impressed that 32% knew what a fresnel lens is.

Not a single person on my player tracker got De Lempicka. Personally I'd never even heard of her.
I sussed out / guessed correctly. Didn't know what a Fresnel lens was, but thought about what very specific type of building could save a lot of things. I feel like I've possibly heard the quote before, but once I thought of ships, figured that I wouldn't come up with a better guess. Or maybe the wording made me think of Helen launching a thousand ships, and that wrong subliminal hint got me there.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:57 pm De Lempicka was clearly going to play tough, but I was somewhat impressed that 32% knew what a fresnel lens is.

viewtopic.php?p=123409#p123409

Pic #10. (Nobody chose or guessed it on the TD.)

For the longest time now, if I had the gift of having any painting of my choosing to hang on my living room wall, it would be a Lempicka.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

That's one of those ones where it's hard to gauge. I would have put it at 65+%
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Ken Jennings and John Roderick have done a podcast episode about Fresnel lenses. They have not done an episode on Tamara de Lempicka.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Can't say I've ever heard fulminate used as a verb before.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:27 am Can't say I've ever heard fulminate used as a verb before.
In contrast, I'd never heard it used as a noun! To be fair, I knew the existence of the word, and that it was a verb, but couldn't have given you the definition.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Wonder how many stumbled onto the right answer by going for a BWA pun off 'Dijon'... /raises hand
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Blancanieves (10), Morbius (5), Farmageddon (7), The Batman (8)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:15 am Wonder how many stumbled onto the right answer by going for a BWA pun off 'Dijon'... /raises hand
I was close. I figured it had to be something more than just Mustard, so I went with Mustardhead.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:01 am
econgator wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:27 am Can't say I've ever heard fulminate used as a verb before.
In contrast, I'd never heard it used as a noun! To be fair, I knew the existence of the word, and that it was a verb, but couldn't have given you the definition.
I remember it being used in Breaking Bad. I that's what Walter White used to blow up Tuco's office.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:15 am Wonder how many stumbled onto the right answer by going for a BWA pun off 'Dijon'... /raises hand
I definitely considered it, but opted to riff on his last name instead and said Mack. I wish I'd gone with the obvious.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Frickin' Frackin' Fulmination! I dug "fulminate" out of my brain and thought "that's really a hard one". I went through a short list of explosives (C4, TNT, dynamite, Nitro, gunpowder) and figured it could be any obsolete name I'd never heard of. "Castigate" really describes the literary use to a tee and I kind of thought fulminates were sulphur (I don't like the "sulfur" spelling, lol) based. I won anyway and am in the promotion zone again (3rd of 22) with a soft schedule ahead.

I thought of Deion Sanders immediately because he is all over the media now, but thought 1994 was too early (it wasn't, he played from 1989 to 1997 in baseball + short stint in 2001). So I answered Bo Jackson (the 3 homers bothered me) and never even thought about MJ. So, in 1994, we had 3 multi-sport athletes with Bo, Deion, and MJ 8-) .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

econgator wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:45 am
I remember it being used in Breaking Bad. I that's what Walter White used to blow up Tuco's office.
Does anybody remember if that was fulminated mercury, or fulminate of mercury?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

And in Mister Roberts Ensign Pulver accidentally blow's up the ship's laundry with fulminate of mercury.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mahatma wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:45 am
Does anybody remember if that was fulminated mercury, or fulminate of mercury?
I remember him saying "fulminated."