LearnedLeague 99 (LL99) Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: LearnedLeague 99 (LL99) Thread

Post by Woof »

As someone who actually made and detonated that shit, it’s officially mercury(II) fulminate. No idea what the writers of Breaking Bad called it, though. I stopped watching before that episode.
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

Woof wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:46 pm As someone who actually made and detonated that shit, it’s officially mercury(II) fulminate. No idea what the writers of Breaking Bad called it, though. I stopped watching before that episode.
That didn't take you very long.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:46 pm As someone who actually made and detonated that shit, it’s officially mercury(II) fulminate. No idea what the writers of Breaking Bad called it, though. I stopped watching before that episode.
And the reason you did so ... ?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:56 am
And the reason you did so ... ?
As Edmund Hilary said….
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I suppose the highest charting song from a Disney film has got to be fairly well-known, but I didn't have a clue on that one. 72% got that right? I just looked it up and apparently it came from a movie called Encanto which I'd also not heard of. God, I feel out of touch.

I'm getting completely stomped on lately. Took a 7(5)-9(6) loss yesterday to drop me to 13th place. I had been in first as late as MD10.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:41 am I suppose the highest charting song from a Disney film has got to be fairly well-known, but I didn't have a clue on that one. 72% got that right? I just looked it up and apparently it came from a movie called Encanto which I'd also not heard of. God, I feel out of touch.

I'm getting completely stomped on lately. Took a 7(5)-9(6) loss yesterday to drop me to 13th place. I had been in first as late as MD10.

#8933, aired 2023-09-20 MICKEY'S MANTEL $800: Penned by Lin-Manuel Miranda, this song from "Encanto" won the Best Song Written for Visual Media Grammy in 2023
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:17 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:41 am I suppose the highest charting song from a Disney film has got to be fairly well-known, but I didn't have a clue on that one. 72% got that right? I just looked it up and apparently it came from a movie called Encanto which I'd also not heard of. God, I feel out of touch.

#8933, aired 2023-09-20 MICKEY'S MANTEL $800: Penned by Lin-Manuel Miranda, this song from "Encanto" won the Best Song Written for Visual Media Grammy in 2023
It's also sort of funny, Disney had to select which songs are in contention for movie nominations well before the movie was actually released. They didn't expect Bruno to be the breakout hit so they didn't put its name in the hat hence why it wasn't up for an Oscar or Golden Globe.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Blancanieves (10), Morbius (5), Farmageddon (7), The Batman (8)
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I've mentioned this before. About 10 years ago I understood that I knew nothing of modern music. I've seen your chops on 70s and 80s stuff. We grew up on it.

I started streaming AT40 while at work a long time ago. I probably listen to it twice a week. Not very loud, but over time the popular songs stick pretty good. I don't get all of the modern music questions, but I'm a whole lot better than I used to be. "Bruno" was not a problem. It stayed on the charts for quite a while last year.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:17 pm

I thought all the "Second Chance" clues were supposed to be reused from previous games?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:45 pm I thought all the "Second Chance" clues were supposed to be reused from previous games?
Some were clues written before the strike that hadn't been used on a show yet. (The 2023 Grammy Award ceremony was February 5th, which was plenty of time for clues about it to make it into the hopper before the strike started on May 2nd.)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Damn. I read.every.word.

SCIENCE —The Gutenberg discontinuity and the Mohorovičić discontinuity are significant in geology as the inner and outer boundaries, respectively, of what?
(EARTH'S) MANTLE

I thought this demanded two answers (because of the ",respectively"), plus I didn't know there was a core/mantle discontinuity (the Gutenberg). So I answered "crust, mantle". If the clue had said "seismology" instead of geology, I'd have had an instaget. Love them P-waves and S-waves. I tend to think of geology as the scientists with dirty fingernails, not the lab rats.

I want to whine (and fulminate) because I would have guessed just "mantle" without the "respectively" part of the clue :evil: . Also, because the referee threw a flag for being 6" offside :) . Why shouldn't I be rewarded for being half ignorant? I did get a juicy 3 for "surrealism", which is a question that favors the ignorant. I made the simplest guess I could.

My freefall from first in Waterfront D2 is continuing and I'm now in 7th. It's a dogpile with everybody at 29-27 points but I have a horrible MPD of 4.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:14 am Damn. I read.every.word.

SCIENCE —The Gutenberg discontinuity and the Mohorovičić discontinuity are significant in geology as the inner and outer boundaries, respectively, of what?
(EARTH'S) MANTLE

I thought this demanded two answers (because of the ",respectively"), plus I didn't know there was a core/mantle discontinuity (the Gutenberg). So I answered "crust, mantle". If the clue had said "seismology" instead of geology, I'd have had an instaget. Love them P-waves and S-waves. I tend to think of geology as the scientists with dirty fingernails, not the lab rats.

I want to whine (and fulminate) because I would have guessed just "mantle" without the "respectively" part of the clue :evil: . Also, because the referee threw a flag for being 6" offside :) . Why shouldn't I be rewarded for being half ignorant? I did get a juicy 3 for "surrealism", which is a question that favors the ignorant. I made the simplest guess I could.

My freefall from first in Waterfront D2 is continuing and I'm now in 7th. It's a dogpile with everybody at 29-27 points but I have a horrible MPD of 4.
At first I thought you were wrong, but actually I think you've got a decent case for a scoring review. Thorsten usually states when multiple answers are required, but the way the question is worded does make it a bit ambiguous. I think your answer is correct.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:14 am Damn. I read.every.word.

(EARTH'S) MANTLE

I want to whine (and fulminate) because I would have guessed just "mantle" without the "respectively" part of the clue :evil: . Also, because the referee threw a flag for being 6" offside :) . Why shouldn't I be rewarded for being half ignorant?
Respectfully, the "respectively" applied to "The Gutenberg discontinuity and the Mohorovičić discontinuity" and "the inner and outer boundaries", so the question in other words was, "The Gutenberg discontinuity is the inner boundary, and the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the outer boundary of what?" I won't claim that LL questions requiring multiple answers are more explicitly cued than that, but I will point out that your answer makes the assumption that the inner boundary of the crust and the outer boundary of the mantle would be two different discontinuities, which doesn't exactly make sense.

Me, my first thought was crust, but I thought it was weird that the surface of the earth would be called a discontinuity and be named after someone, so I went a layer deeper. I ended up winning 8(4)-7(5), continuing a ridiculous run that has seen me rise from #23 to #3 in less than two weeks.
Volante

Post by Volante »

"Thorsten isn't going to do that thing where the answer's in the clue like ER -twice-...and I think GM just revived the Hummer brand?"
"OH COME ON!"

And then this headline today...
https://jalopnik.com/chevy-silverado-gm ... 1851110020
Chevy Silverado And GMC Sierra Sales Halted Because Their Roofs Are Splitting Apart
*facepalm emoji*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Blancanieves (10), Morbius (5), Farmageddon (7), The Batman (8)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:48 am "Thorsten isn't going to do that thing where the answer's in the clue like ER -twice-...and I think GM just revived the Hummer brand?"
"OH COME ON!"
I coin flipped GMC/Cadillac and I went with Cadillac partly because of the mention of General Motors Corporation in the question. I know that isn't a deal breaker. I guess pickups are now considered trucks. My C70 convertible Volvo would holed six bales of hay, so I considered it a truck too :).

I could not think of the catchy name for the Chinese movement, and on reveal thought "no - that's not it" :roll: . I don't know what catchphrase I was looking for. I was stumped on Warhol until I just ignored the first three words and focused on a name. Picked Marilyn over Elvis and got a 3 because of my intimidating 0.194 get rate, now tied with theater for last place in my wheelhouse.

Unless either second or third place lose out the last two games, I'm locked from promoting from fifth even if I sweep for four points. Sigh of relief :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

With two games left I’m three points behind the last person in the promotion zone and there is someone else two points ahead of me and both of them are eleven MPD up on me. So it looks like I’m in D for another season. Based on my one time in C, that’s a good thing.

Only got two for Warhol even though art is my worst category. Probably fair, given that is a pretty well known and mainstream painting. My only miss yesterday was the book I’ve never heard of.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If you ever think Mao wasn't such a bad guy after all, read up on the Cultural Revolution. It also seemed to inspire the Khmer Rouge, and we know what they did.
Volante

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:18 am If you ever think Mao wasn't such a bad guy after all, read up on the Cultural Revolution. It also seemed to inspire the Khmer Rouge, and we know what they did.
If The Trashmen are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Ooma mao mao, papa ooh mao mao mao...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I noticed through MD 12 I was going at a .792 clip (57 out of 72 right) and since then I'm at .616 (40 out of 66). I've had four days in the second half of the season where I only got two right. Brutal.

Also I was sort of surprised Thorsten would have a question about Chick-Fil-A, especially one that was kind of a boring "you either know it or you don't" kind of question.
Volante

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:20 pm I noticed through MD 12 I was going at a .792 clip (57 out of 72 right) and since then I'm at .616 (40 out of 66). I've had four days in the second half of the season where I only got two right. Brutal.

Also I was sort of surprised Thorsten would have a question about Chick-Fil-A, especially one that was kind of a boring "you either know it or you don't" kind of question.
Oh, that one I thought I figured it out. Sunjoy, well, a sun is a circle with rays coming out. Onion rings + french fries!

...I've never been to Chick-Fil-A