2024 Tournament of Champions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

2024 Tournament of Champions

Post by mfc248 »

Four Five of the eight three-game winners from last season – Yogesh Raut, Jake DeArruda, Melissa Klapper, Jared Watson, and Kevin Belle – were informed today by Ken Jennings that they will be entered directly into the next ToC. The news was delivered by Ken Jennings via the contestants' respective Jeopardy! airing stations. As Belle was the lowest-earning Season 39 three-game champion, it stands to reason that all eight will be directly entered into the ToC; that would surpass the previous high number of 3-game winners (five in 2006).

The stories for DeArruda and Klapper both stated that taping of the ToC would be in early February.

AndyTheQuizzer reports that this likely means a 27-player field for the event (with two spots being filled by Season 39 Champions Wildcard winners). It would also tend to confirm the schedule he predicted a week and a half ago.

(Updated with Jared Watson confirmation)
Last edited by mfc248 on Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: 2024 Tournament of Champions

Post by MarkBarrett »

Games 1-4 added for each of the five on the liner notes for their games.

Edited to include Jared Watson as fifth.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I'm told that Emmett Stanton's video is out there somewhere, but I'm not in the right forum to view it.

It was a wild end of the week - I got home on Wednesday to find an email from the affiliate that cc'd Sarah Whitcomb Foss, of all people, requesting the interview and confirming I had approval to do it, respectively. Drove down on Friday and received the good news!

Thank you as well for updating the liner notes, MB. So cool to finally see it.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

viewtopic.php?t=7018

I have updated the list in the TOC tracker thread to put the three time champs in. We had 19 win at least three, plus the Celebrity champ and the HSRT winner to give us 21. We have four CWC winners from the current tournaments to give us a total of 25 locked into the TOC.

So what will the next qualifying round look like? We had 18 win two games and 39 win one game. If only two more CWC players are invited from S39, that would mean 54 are in CWC tournaments using the current format. Given they’ll probably have two SCT players, that will eliminate the five at the bottom.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:30 am viewtopic.php?t=7018

I have updated the list in the TOC tracker thread to put the three time champs in. We had 19 win at least three, plus the Celebrity champ and the HSRT winner to give us 21. We have four CWC winners from the current tournaments to give us a total of 25 locked into the TOC.

So what will the next qualifying round look like? We had 18 win two games and 39 win one game. If only two more CWC players are invited from S39, that would mean 54 are in CWC tournaments using the current format. Given they’ll probably have two SCT players, that will eliminate the five at the bottom.
It would be seven not competing, as there will be four SCTs whose winners will qualify into CWC. That could be handled in multiple ways. If players are unable to return due to conflicts, their invitation could be delayed to the next cycle (for a S41 or later ToC). Alternatively, move the cutoff earlier. The last sixteen champions prior to Lucas Partridge won one or two games, so the most recent seven of them (Justin White, Ittai Sopher, Daniel Moore, David Bederman, Nik Berry, Taylor Clagett, and Julie Sisson) could be deferred. Ultimately, we'll just have to wait and see what the show comes up with.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Further confirmations for Emmett Stanton and Brian Henegar. Sean McShane is the only S39 3xer yet without one.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mfc248 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:20 pm Further confirmations for Emmett Stanton and Brian Henegar. Sean McShane is the only S39 3xer yet without one.
Thanks, and games marked accordingly in the Archive, now. What a surprise, Brian's facial hair is different now.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

mfc248 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:20 pm Sean McShane is the only S39 3xer yet without one.
Sean's is airing on WBZ in the next few minutes, just caught a sneak peak in their 6:00 news intro (perks of living in the range of two affiliates!).
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

threearruda wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:00 pm
mfc248 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:20 pm Sean McShane is the only S39 3xer yet without one.
Sean's is airing on WBZ in the next few minutes, just caught a sneak peak in their 6:00 news intro (perks of living in the range of two affiliates!).
Thanks for the heads up; I might as well put on WBZ myself.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

I remember proposing this idea several months ago, but I didn't think they'd actually do it. Should be a great tournament!
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but has it been confirmed that Ike is playing for himself and not charity? It seems he would have to be, and he can do whatever he wants with whatever he wins...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

On a podcast episode a few months ago, Sarah said that he would have that choice but speculated that he would probably play for charity because he's a great guy. I thought that was rather unfair because it's basically putting him in a situation where he's socially compelled to make that decision.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:39 pm On a podcast episode a few months ago, Sarah said that he would have that choice but speculated that he would probably play for charity because he's a great guy. I thought that was rather unfair because it's basically putting him in a situation where he's socially compelled to make that decision.
That's true, but, a couple of things to consider here. First, he's probably going to be donating as much money to charity this year as the ToC prize would be anyway. I can't speak to his finances, but he may be of a tax bracket and liability where he would be making a charitable contributions of the order of the ToC prize in any event. Deductions max out at 60% of AGI and he's probably going to have had an income of greater than 1.66 times a quarter-mil or half-mil or whatever the prize is going to be. Maybe I'm wrong and he had a bad year, what with the strikes. But something makes me think he did okay. Second, the chances of him advancing to the championship are so slim, is this even worth worrying about?
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:31 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:39 pm On a podcast episode a few months ago, Sarah said that he would have that choice but speculated that he would probably play for charity because he's a great guy. I thought that was rather unfair because it's basically putting him in a situation where he's socially compelled to make that decision.
That's true, but, a couple of things to consider here. First, he's probably going to be donating as much money to charity this year as the ToC prize would be anyway. I can't speak to his finances, but he may be of a tax bracket and liability where he would be making a charitable contributions of the order of the ToC prize in any event. Deductions max out at 60% of AGI and he's probably going to have had an income of greater than 1.66 times a quarter-mil or half-mil or whatever the prize is going to be. Maybe I'm wrong and he had a bad year, what with the strikes. But something makes me think he did okay. Second, the chances of him advancing to the championship are so slim, is this even worth worrying about?
this has happened before on the original version according to Art Fleming's TV game show fact book (https://archive.org/details/artflemings ... 6/mode/2up) but he actually went to traditional way. (through the test) Chub Feeney, even though he in the hosts words "choked" it seems to be more of a could happen to any contestant way. I remember the story because it was such a strange story it just stuck but it was a different time. I am not even sure if they required celebrities to do charities back then (basically they were still figuring out 'TV etiquette') but either way there is a tournament prize for just getting there so this question is worth examining still.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

The show has posted the pai matchups for the quarterfinals:

Friday, February 23: Emily Sands, Suresh Krishnan, Matthew Marcus
Monday, February 26: Cris Pannullo, Ben Goldstein, Jared Watson
Tuesday, February 27: Hannah Wilson, David Sibley, Yungsheng Wang
Wednesday, February 28: Nick Cascone, Jake DeArruda, Yogesh Raut
Thursday, February 29: Luigi de Guzman, Kevin Belle, Juveria Zaheer
Friday, March 1: Stephen Webb, Brian Henegar, Josh Saak
Monday, March 4: Ray Lalonde, Melissa Klapper, Ike Barinholtz
Tuesday, March 5: Ben Chan, Justin Bolsen, Emmett Stanton
Wednesday, March 6: Troy Meyer, CWC Group 2 winner, Sean McShane
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ike goes right up against Ray? Pray for the dead and the dead will pray for you.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:32 pm Ike goes right up against Ray? Pray for the dead and the dead will pray for you.
Oh come on I think Ray has a chance
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Is looking at the gender pattern a spoiler for the CWC still in play? The games with all dudes are even numbered. Therefore...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:42 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:32 pm Ike goes right up against Ray? Pray for the dead and the dead will pray for you.
Oh come on I think Ray has a chance
:lol:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I am posting my ToC quarterfinal predictions. These are not based on inside knowledge nor based on stats strength or gut feelings, but instead based on photographic analysis of publicly posted photographs and noting wardrobe differences. So, be cautioned, my predictions may indeed include spoilers. If you dare look, you will not be spoiled on this week's CWC2 winner, as I have not named that person in my predictions, but simply called that person "CWC2 winner".

WARNING WARNING WARNING SERIOUS POTENTIAL SPOILERS
Spoiler
Emily Sands vs. Suresh Krishnan vs. Matthew Marcus
Cris Pannullo vs. Ben Goldstein vs. Jared Watson*
Hannah Wilson vs. David Sibley vs. Yungsheng Wang
Nick Cascone vs. Jake DeArruda vs. Yogesh Raut
Luigi de Guzman vs. Kevin Belle vs. Juveria Zaheer**
Stephen Webb vs. Brian Henegar vs. Josh Saak
Ray Lalonde vs. Melissa Klapper vs. Ike Barinholtz
Ben Chan vs. Justin Bolsen vs. Emmett Stanton***
Troy Meyer vs. CWC2 winner vs. Sean McShane****

*Both Ben and Jared had changes of clothes but Ben's was more drastic.
**This is a tough one as both Kevin and Juveria had wardrobe changes. My prediction is based solely on the guess that Juveria changed into a more formal dress for the awards. NM, the awards were on Monday, before any gameplay.
***This is another tough one as both Justin and Emmett had wardrobe changes. My prediction is based solely on the guess that Justin changed into a black shirt for the awards.
****I don't have enough information to predict this match, but based on the information I do have, I'm going with Sean.
There are reasons why these predictions could be wrong. For example, the wardrobe changes I noted could just be due to different clothes being worn over different taping days (I assume not all 9 quarterfinals were taped in one day). So take these predictions with a grain of salt.