2024 Tournament of Champions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: 2024 Tournament of Champions

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

^

It should also be noted that there was a dedicated "media day" before everything started.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

AndyTheQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:33 am ^

It should also be noted that there was a dedicated "media day" before everything started.
Correct. Sorry RKS, I explicitly decided to wear a blazer for media day Monday to dress up a bit more. Restricts my movement too much to want to wear one in game. :)
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

Is this where we place our Gold, Silver, and Bronze lists for the upcoming ToC? I don't want to step out of bounds somehow by putting them in a thread where they don't belong.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

KenJenningsFan74 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:51 pm Is this where we place our Gold, Silver, and Bronze lists for the upcoming ToC? I don't want to step out of bounds somehow by putting them in a thread where they don't belong.
Yes, this thread should be fine for that. I did not make such a post since the paths to the ToC were all over the place and the 27th player was not known until today.

Here are the QF matches:

Friday, February 23: Emily Sands, Suresh Krishnan, Matthew Marcus
Monday, February 26: Cris Pannullo, Ben Goldstein, Jared Watson
Tuesday, February 27: Hannah Wilson, David Sibley, Yungsheng Wang
Wednesday, February 28: Nick Cascone, Jake DeArruda, Yogesh Raut
Thursday, February 29: Luigi de Guzman, Kevin Belle, Juveria Zaheer
Friday, March 1: Stephen Webb, Brian Henegar, Josh Saak
Monday, March 4: Ray Lalonde, Melissa Klapper, Ike Barinholtz
Tuesday, March 5: Ben Chan, Justin Bolsen, Emmett Stanton
Wednesday, March 6: Troy Meyer, CWC Group 2 winner, Sean McShane

Since I am spoiler free about ToC matters I'll do groupings for laughs ahead of tomorrow.

My Gold would be all of the players at the champ's spot except for Nick & Emily. Juveria can go there in their place as the 8th gold for "best" of the CWC winners. For the 9th I'll put Suresh there for being a superchamp.

Bronze will be Ben G., Jared, Nick, Kevin, Melissa, Ike, Justin, Emmett, CWC Group 2 winner

and that leaves Silver as Emily, Matthew, David, Yungsheng, Jake, Yogesh, Brian, Josh, Sean

I fully expect at least 1 3xer to win in the QF round and for a big shot 5xer or higher to lose in the QF round.

Ike showed enough in celeb games that I do not expect a full-blown implosion and a big red number. Perhaps some good stuff in the entertainment area will work to his advantage in playing Ray & Melissa.

Juveria clearly has a chance to present gold level play. If Luigi outplays her then no shame there and it could be that Silver was the more appropriate level to place her.

CWC Group 2 winner looks like a tough road with waiting all day to play two others who just might control a lot of the action.

For overall, Ben C. looks like a top 3 pick as he's lost a game, but has not been fully defeated yet.

Nick would seem to be in a heap of trouble against Jake/Yogesh, but that match will eliminate one "villain" (I've seen enough negative comments about them in other forums) that won't be able to cause further trouble in the bracket.

The powers have to know how popular Ray is and would love to have him stick around. With the expectation he can make the semis then look for an unusual grouping that could spare him the worst of draws.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

I finally get to watch my first show of S40!

Assuming standard ToC material, with the bigger field I fear we’re going to see some buzz in attempts in the 20’s.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:36 pm Yes, this thread should be fine for that. I did not make such a post since the paths to the ToC were all over the place and the 27th player was not known until today.

Thank you, Mark!

My groupings are as follows:

Gold: Cris Pannullo, Ben Chan, Troy Meyer, Luigi de Guzman, Ray LaLonde, Hannah Wilson, Stephen Webb, Yogesh Raut, Yungsheng Wang

Silver: Matthew Marcus, Sean McShane, Jake DeArruda, Emily Sands, David Sibley, Emmett Stanton, Juveria Zaheer, Josh Saak, Suresh Krishnan

Bronze: Brian Henegar, Ben Goldstein, Nick Cascone, Jared Watson, Justin Bolsen, Melissa Klapper, Kevin Belle, Deb Bilodeau, Ike Barinholtz

My predictions are that Matthew Marcus, Cris Pannullo, Yungsheng Wang, Jake DeArruda, Juveria Zaheer, Brian Henegar, Ray LaLonde, Ben Chan, and Troy Meyer win their quarterfinal games.

In the semis, I have Cris Pannullo coming out of game one, Matthew Marcus game two, and Troy Meyer game three.

I'm going to predict Troy Meyer wins a tightly contested final and Cris Pannullo finishes second.

Regardless of outcomes, I wish everyone here on the boards a happy ToC.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Gold: Cris, Ben C., Troy, Juveria, Hannah, Yogesh, Luigi, Ray, Sean
Silver: Emily, Yungsheng, Jake, Josh, Matthew, Brian, Stephen, Nick, Emmett
Bronze: David, Ike, Jared, Deb, Melissa, Suresh, Justin, Kevin, Ben G.

This is a stacked field, though—and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if any of the Golds or any of the Silvers up until Brian won.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Gold: Cris, Ray, Ben C., Stephen, Luigi, Juveria, Brian, Emily, Troy

Silver: Hannah, Yogesh, Jake, Sean, David, Josh, Yungsheng, Jared, Matthew

Bronze: Suresh, Ben G., Melissa, Emmett, Nick, Deb, Kevin, Justin, Ike
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey