Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Robert K S »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:15 am What would that be?
For those wondering, apparently the answer is a Twitter-search-assembled screencapped stash of edgy joke tweets that could be taken offense at, at least taken out of whatever context they might have originally been in. Some have as their targets different groups as stereotypes, while others mention such groups as a way of actually targeting Ken himself, or, more precisely, the mindset of an imagined juvenile dufus character situated roughly in the same white-American-Christian-cis-hetero-male-middle-class group as Ken. I suppose the assemblage could be convincing for those looking to damn (the assembler claims to have "peered into his psyche") and probably unconvincing to those not. If James Gunn survived his tweets, Ken will be okay. He's already said he's retired from the edgy comedy tweet business.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

AndyTheQuizzer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:16 pm
cf1140 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:32 am
Austin Powers wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:27 am I doubt being pro Israel is going to get her in trouble with Hollywood suits, but who knows these days.

More likely of the fact that she is not a scab.

So that’s unfortunate. I don’t think she was a great host, but I hate to think she lost her job because she was not a scab.
Tara Strong got canned from a show for pro-israel activity, and that was just a voiceover role. Mayim didn't just make pro-Israel comments; she was actively getting involved in agenda-driven campaigns. Jeopardy is a daytime game show that is supposed to be apart from any hot-button issues as that would distract from the contestants. I am not judging her but I would do the same thing if I were in Sony's shoes.

The irony here is that Ken himself has a suitcase full of the most typical baggage that does get celebrities fired, and I'm not talking about any quote with the word 'wheelchair.'
According to reports from Hollywood insiders, specifically Matthew Belloni of The Puck, Mayim's not hosting the last four weeks of Season 39 was specifically mentioned as a contributing factor, while her social media activity was conspicuously absent from these reports.
Said piece also mentions that Mayim wasn't well-liked on set, and Sony switched up shooting days to accommodate her Call Me Kat sitcom. Evidently it boiled down to a deteriorating relationship and Sony wanting an exit.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Trevor807 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:39 pm Said piece also mentions that Mayim wasn't well-liked on set, and Sony switched up shooting days to accommodate her Call Me Kat sitcom. Evidently it boiled down to a deteriorating relationship and Sony wanting an exit.
What made it easier is the fact they already had a host who's way better at hosting than she is...
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

And who was hailed by fans (myself included) as the heir.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Says here that Mayim was making $4 million a year on the show:

https://tvline.com/news/mayim-bialik-je ... 235100682/

Apparently, Ken is making the same amount but can expect more now that he's the sole survivor.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:55 pm Says here that Mayim was making $4 million a year on the show:

Apparently, Ken is making the same amount but can expect more now that he's the sole survivor.
Not bad considering Vanna was stuck at $3M for decades.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:13 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:55 pm Says here that Mayim was making $4 million a year on the show:

Not bad considering Vanna was stuck at $3M for decades.
Inflation, maybe? I mean, Vanna's at least half again as pretty as Ken.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Vanna deserves a lot of money for having to listen to Pat's jokes for all these years.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Also worth noting that SAG-AFTRA required their talent to honor their contracts when the WGA strike began. Jeopardy! was among the shows falling under the Network Code agreement, so that wasn't struck. Even if both she and Ken were on as hosts under the agreement, Mayim still violated her contract by walking out. Provided she was covered by the Network Code, this would qualify as a wildcat strike.

Wil Wheaton and Austin Powers, take notes next time you resort to ranting and threatening on social media or claiming Ken and the contestants competing in the strike-produced tourneys are "scabs".

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Trevor807 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:38 am Also worth noting that SAG-AFTRA required their talent to honor their contracts when the WGA strike began. Jeopardy! was among the shows falling under the Network Code agreement, so that wasn't struck. Even if both she and Ken were on as hosts under the agreement, Mayim still violated her contract by walking out. Provided she was covered by the Network Code, this would qualify as a wildcat strike.

Wil Wheaton and Austin Powers, take notes next time you resort to ranting and threatening on social media or claiming Ken and the contestants competing in the strike-produced tourneys are "scabs".
(wanking motion)

She sides with labor, not ownership, and faced retaliation. It’s one thing to not miss her, since she wasn’t great, but it’s super creepy that you think she got what she deserved.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:32 pm (wanking motion)
What?
Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:32 pm She sides with labor, not ownership, and faced retaliation.
Tell that to those invited to the TOC who also sided with labor and still received invitations once the strike was settled.
Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:32 pm ...but it’s super creepy that you think she got what she deserved.
She faced the consequences for walking out of a non-struck program despite A: (I think I should repeat this) SAG-AFTRA (which Ken is part of, by the way) instructing their talent to honor their contracts during the WGA strike, and B: her reps specifically warning her not to violate her contract. What more can I say?

Alex kept hosting the last time there was a strike. Drew Carey, Steve Harvey, these guys continued hosting their respective shows during the strike, because SAG-AFTRA required them all to, and Ken is no different. By your logic, they're all "scabs" too. And so were the contestants competing in them since you called all the contestants competing in the strike-produced episodes "scabs" as well.

Yes, Ken could have walked out too. But he would break his contract by doing so.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

AP's posting history summed up
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Trevor807 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:39 pm
What?
Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:32 pm She sides with labor, not ownership, and faced retaliation.
Tell that to those invited to the TOC who also sided with labor and still received invitations once the strike was settled.
Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:32 pm ...but it’s super creepy that you think she got what she deserved.
She faced the consequences for walking out of a non-struck program despite A: (I think I should repeat this) SAG-AFTRA (which Ken is part of, by the way) instructing their talent to honor their contracts during the WGA strike, and B: her reps specifically warning her not to violate her contract. What more can I say?

Alex kept hosting the last time there was a strike. Drew Carey, Steve Harvey, these guys continued hosting their respective shows during the strike, because SAG-AFTRA required them all to, and Ken is no different. By your logic, they're all "scabs" too. And so were the contestants competing in them since you called all the contestants competing in the strike-produced episodes "scabs" as well.

Yes, Ken could have walked out too. But he would break his contract by doing so.
I’m sure that is all true. They also retaliated against her because of the stand she took.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:22 pm
The guy with 4000 posts about wagering would know.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:55 pm I’m sure that is all true. They also retaliated against her because of the stand she took.
What source do we have on this anyway?

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:57 pm
Have you considered taking a break?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

AndyTheQuizzer wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:13 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:57 pm
Have you considered taking a break?
Talking to yourself again?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Trevor807 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:11 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:55 pm I’m sure that is all true. They also retaliated against her because of the stand she took.
What source do we have on this anyway?
The Belloni article is mentioned above. You can read the whole thing on Reddit. The gist is that she wasn’t well liked, but that can be worked around if the relationship is new. Taking time off in support of the strike? Not acceptable.

Your interpretation is that it’s a breach of contract, so Sony was mad about what they had to do. That’s jot wrong! My point would be, Ken was there as Plan B so they didn’t really suffer. So the fact that they still went after her means that they were going to always hold her union stand against her, and it was just a matter of time.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:39 pm Your interpretation is that it’s a breach of contract, so Sony was mad about what they had to do. That’s jot wrong! My point would be, Ken was there as Plan B so they didn’t really suffer. So the fact that they still went after her means that they were going to always hold her union stand against her, and it was just a matter of time.
"Jot". I think you meant to type "just". And as mentioned in the article:
Sony TV executive Suzanne Prete and executive producer Michael Davies were furious when Bialik said in May that she would step away from the final week of filming last season in solidarity with the show’s striking writers. After all, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune are well-oiled machines, requiring precise timing to make the show’s five-episodes-a-day schedule. Plus, Bialik wasn’t loved on set, and Sony had switched up shooting that season to accommodate her Fox sitcom, Call Me Kat. Bialik’s reps were told that by refusing to perform, she was in breach of her contract, which began with an annual salary of $4 million (that includes her primetime Jeopardy! work), and has increased by $1 million each year. Jennings, who stepped in on those final episodes, is paid the same.

Post-strikes, Bialik had expected business as usual, but Sony recently informed her that her services won’t be needed next season. She was offered the chance to stay on for the rest of this season, but she said no thanks. Assuming the primetime Celebrity Jeopardy! and the college tournament are renewed by ABC for 2024-25 (a safe bet), she may still stay on those. But given her anger, I’ll be a bit surprised if that happens.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Trevor807 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:47 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:39 pm Your interpretation is that it’s a breach of contract, so Sony was mad about what they had to do. That’s jot wrong! My point would be, Ken was there as Plan B so they didn’t really suffer. So the fact that they still went after her means that they were going to always hold her union stand against her, and it was just a matter of time.
"Jot". I think you meant to type "just". And as mentioned in the article:
Sony TV executive Suzanne Prete and executive producer Michael Davies were furious when Bialik said in May that she would step away from the final week of filming last season in solidarity with the show’s striking writers. After all, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune are well-oiled machines, requiring precise timing to make the show’s five-episodes-a-day schedule. Plus, Bialik wasn’t loved on set, and Sony had switched up shooting that season to accommodate her Fox sitcom, Call Me Kat. Bialik’s reps were told that by refusing to perform, she was in breach of her contract, which began with an annual salary of $4 million (that includes her primetime Jeopardy! work), and has increased by $1 million each year. Jennings, who stepped in on those final episodes, is paid the same.

Post-strikes, Bialik had expected business as usual, but Sony recently informed her that her services won’t be needed next season. She was offered the chance to stay on for the rest of this season, but she said no thanks. Assuming the primetime Celebrity Jeopardy! and the college tournament are renewed by ABC for 2024-25 (a safe bet), she may still stay on those. But given her anger, I’ll be a bit surprised if that happens.
Jot = not. I’m saying you’re not wrong. I’m also saying, I’m not wrong. By not showing up, they can hold it against her. Just like those TOC qualifiers who refuse to show up could’ve been told to sit it out. But her actions are going to cause a lot more discomfort with the executives than what any contestant could do - they get to not just to the bottom line of the show, but the bottom line of the corporations of the industry in general.