Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Mayim Bialik has confirmed on her Instagram story that Sony told her she is no longer hosting the syndicated show. It's unclear if she will continue to host any primetime versions of the show.
alietr
Site Admin

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by alietr »

I support that decision.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

Seconded. God only knows why Sony had her and Ken split the syndicated show anyway.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

There must be some lessons that the general public could utilize from how Ken played his cards in the J! workplace. With Wonka opening I'm also thinking some kind of Charlie Bucket comparison could be made to Ken.

As for Mayim, she played the hand dealt her as she saw fit. Today's news cannot be surprising at all. Mayim will be fine and her IMDb credits will only grow.

I'll admit to not thinking about Mayim much when watching J! other than when a university name came up and the game moved along without a, "Yes, the University of ___".

Best of health to Ken Jennings and safe travels during time away from Culver City.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

So presuming she hasn't taped any shows this season?

Great news, by the way!
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

None as far as I know. Ken's already done every episode of this tourney-filled season, plus season 2 of the celebrity version.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Statement from Jeopardy!:
Mayim Bialik has announced she will no longer be hosting the syndicated version of Jeopardy!. We made the decision to have one host for the syndicated show next season to maintain continuity for out viewers, and Ken Jennings will be the sole host for syndicated Jeopardy!. We are truly grateful for all of Mayim's contributions to Jeopardy!, and we hope to continue to work with her on primetime specials.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

“Maintain continuity for our viewers”? What a bunch of BS. Ditch the stupid tournaments and have regular gameplay, and return the TOC to what it was for 40 years. That’s maintaining continuity. I support having Ken as the sole host, but something stinks about this.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

So are they just gonna leave no explanation and have the viewers wonder if it was more due to the wga strike or more due to, uh, 'ongoing world events' and related comments.
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

cf1140 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:42 pm So are they just gonna leave no explanation and have the viewers wonder if it was more due to the wga strike or more due to, uh, 'ongoing world events' and related comments.
Yes, that is exactly what they're going to do. And thank goodness for it.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:10 pm “Maintain continuity for our viewers”? What a bunch of BS. Ditch the stupid tournaments and have regular gameplay, and return the TOC to what it was for 40 years. That’s maintaining continuity. I support having Ken as the sole host, but something stinks about this.
That would take actual passion for the show, I'm afraid.

And what "stinks" about it?

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Golf

Post by Golf »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:10 pm “Maintain continuity for our viewers”? What a bunch of BS. Ditch the stupid tournaments and have regular gameplay, and return the TOC to what it was for 40 years. That’s maintaining continuity.
*clicks imaginary like button*
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

cf1140 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:42 pm So are they just gonna leave no explanation and have the viewers wonder if it was more due to the wga strike or more due to, uh, 'ongoing world events' and related comments.
Yes, Ken kept improving while Mayim couldn't seem to address concerns, but she was ideal for CJ. And yes, she stood up and made her voice heard, which seems more consistent with the timing of this announcement. LA and Boston are absolutely the worst places in the world this side of the pond for wrongthink.

So it's back to second and third chances. Pretty soon, they'll do away with points entirely and have the audience vote on winners. Continuity? The new regime is nothing if not incontinent.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

As much as I dislike Michael Davies and what he's done, let's get this thread back on track.

Ken was easily the better host by miles. From his first episodes in season 37, he was the obvious choice for the job. Mayim was adequate at best.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Without getting into specifics, did she make some comments regarding the Israel/Hamas situation that ruffled some feathers?
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

I know she did an answer/question conversation discussing the Israel-Hamas war in which she used the phrase "may be in jeopardy" in a recent Instagram post. Even if it's implied, I doubt Sony would approve of her using the brand like this.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Trevor807 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:01 pm I know she did an answer/question conversation discussing the Israel-Hamas war in which she used the phrase "may be in jeopardy" in a recent Instagram post. Even if it's implied, I doubt Sony would approve of her using the brand like this.
You know that jeopardy is an actual word, right?
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:36 pm Without getting into specifics, did she make some comments regarding the Israel/Hamas situation that ruffled some feathers?
to put it mildly....yes. But like I mentioned earlier, it might be more of the wga strike. The previous writers strike never resulted in any Jeopardy news. If Mayim had just kept hosting the only Jeopardy news about the strike would have come from Mark Gaberman's twitter account and easily ignored. I'm not buying that the TOCers would have banded together and struck if the Ken replacing Mayim story didn't hit the news. Mayim's decision was like a domino effect for the show.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:19 pm
Trevor807 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:01 pm I know she did an answer/question conversation discussing the Israel-Hamas war in which she used the phrase "may be in jeopardy" in a recent Instagram post. Even if it's implied, I doubt Sony would approve of her using the brand like this.
You know that jeopardy is an actual word, right?
Mayim had a particular social media post that I am 100% sure Sony would frown upon her referencing "Jeopardy." That may not be what Trevor is referring to, but such a post exists.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

It's this video Mayim did with Noa Tishby on October 27 I was referring to.

It appropriated the "answer in the form of a question" feature of the show in the name of discussion about the war.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!