Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Bamaman »

I thought the proposed college team format was going to be like the All Star tournament. I didn’t know they were going to have six on stage at once.

Thank God that stupid idea was squashed.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

TIL.

At the very least Michael Davies hasn't considered adding teams to tourneys yet, so there's that, I guess.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mfc248 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:16 pm I hadn't known that Back to School Week came from a proposed family Jeopardy!.
In his opening remarks for the first Back to School Week game, Alex explains that in their playtesting, the staff were sufficiently impressed with the kids' performances, and thus the parents got the axe.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:14 am
cf1140 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:14 am A simple search of the word "reversed" in the archive shows that judges have to correct Ken's mistakes much more often than Mayim.
Hold on, a reversal isn't the only "mistake" a host might make. There are also retapes, for one thing. And certainly not all reversals are the fault of the host.
And you can not only search for the word "reversed," you can also click on the results to see many instances of the judges correcting Ken's screwups. Mayim didn't have any of these host screwup reversals in her final 11 weeks.

You're right there are other types of mistakes. Like influencing wagers and giving hints. And otherwise just trying to make the show about yourself and not about the contestants and the clues created by the writers.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

With all due respect, how does Ken try to "make the show about (himself)", anyway? Or give hints or influence wagers? Because, IMO, he's shown far more improvement than Mayim.

I take it you're not on the Ken train, given how you've said in the past how bad of a host he was? For example, in a thread for a Masters episode you chewed him out for "not being cut out for the job" for failing to correct James' response, and didn't even refer to Ken by name (just as "the host").

If you don't like Ken's hosting, that's fine; you stated your opinion no matter how many people may agree or disagree. Same goes for if anyone here prefers Mayim or supports the Davies regime. I agree with Golf that, if everyone here agreed on everything, we wouldn't have any grounds for discussion.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Also, Alex himself had plenty of reversals—perhaps Alex and Ken both kept the game flowing well enough that it was generally better to defer ruling reversals to the built-in halts to the game's flow, whereas Mayim's were dealt with on the spot and edited out.
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:25 am Claire McNear of The Ringer on Bialik's departure:

How Mayim Bialik lost her role as host of Jeopardy
You swapped the address and link text in your code; I fixed it in the quote.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:04 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:25 am Claire McNear of The Ringer on Bialik's departure:

How Mayim Bialik lost her role as host of Jeopardy
You swapped the address and link text in your code; I fixed it in the quote.
Oops! Thank you very much.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

McNear's report says that Mayim was actually well-liked by staff (contradicting reports that their relationship wasn't exactly the best due to her being a prima donna), and mentions a report from TMZ that she was opposed to Michael Davies' hiring. (Take this latter point with a grain of salt given it's TMZ, but I think it's worth noting as some of us have low opinions on him.)

A pretty good piece on the situation, overall.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Game Girl
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Game Girl »

I do think the many host idea was from Saturday night live. also I think with the right types of guest host it could of work for the audience. (I am not sure about the pay half of it though) I think the producers eyes are bigger than his stomach with the stomach being jeopardy. I never really thought of her much until pyramid in which the celebrities guessed her instead of Ken for host of Jeopardy. (like a year ago) which then I consider her possibly being more known as a host than I thought. I am not in expert in the controversy (since I do not really participate on traditional social media) so I am not going to go into that. granted in recent weeks I am starting to see why they had 2 hosts. I love Ken as a host I really do but he is starting to get to get grumpy. (in a I ran out of stuff more than I am a mean person)

I will say a lot of my complaints about m b's hosting skills was before I realised she never actually had 'classical training' (also known as broadcasting school) from what I gather from inside jeopardy.

I would say I would have likely never ever thought anything about the producer if he never started his podcast. The things would have likely been behind the stage in there for the most part. as I have said before I am not even a social media user so I usually find these things out here and at that time I do not have a account here. I think the one thing we can gather from this whole thing is when you say stuff on social media (or Podcasts) people hear it.
seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:47 pm Also, Alex himself had plenty of reversals—perhaps Alex and Ken both kept the game flowing well enough that it was generally better to defer ruling reversals to the built-in halts to the game's flow, whereas Mayim's were dealt with on the spot and edited out.
I cannot remember exactly where but there were a few cuts that was really really blatant in one of the daily doubles (it is somewhere in my comment history). granted I think I saw another cut more recently that was even stranger because it used a crossphase just slightly too long to avoid notice. I would say she is not the worst she is not the best but I think if other events did not happen maybe she could have approved with the right resources. (maybe broadcasting school) anyhow hopefully Ken has a bright future as a host as we figure out how this mishmash of a season is going to end.
Anachronism wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:35 pm
Trevor807 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:39 pm There's a reason why Celebrity winners weren't invited to the TOC under Friedman. What was Davies' thinking here?
Either fun through humiliation, or you have to wonder if he's planning a Charles Van Doren moment. Despite protestations to the contrary, the celebrity boards are closer to the SNL parody version than real boards.

Sure, Davies inherited the guest host mess. But instead of providing clarity in the aftermath, he let it drag out far longer than it should have. He could have put his mark on the show with a new Blade-Runner-inspired set design or Press-Your-Luck demon-style animations for DD reveals. Instead, he's trying to cultivate selected second-chancers into Kitty Carlisle, abandoning the one concept that makes game shows appealing in the first place.
weirdly enough there was a segment around the time quiz show came out when the lead of the movie came to host in which they had a host tournament. 1994 here it is, loading might be slow before beginning.
(https://archive.org/details/saturday-ni ... rtbreakers) 7 1/2 minutes in

anyhow his first episode on the podcast was a disaster and that is a first impression once you have a first impression that that is hard to fix. I think he is a decent producer everything considering but he is definitely not someone who should be talking without a person to look over every word he says. I have notes for episode 1 (and surrounding this was before the account was made) of the podcast when he was talking about why there is so many super champions he did not say it in a good way. The words are used were anyhow 'he is doing a terrible job trying to convince people there is not cheating, he seems to not be getting that undertone that the not ultra ultra game show fans (like us here) that look into production have.' I think he has fixed that or at least got someone to check it over better than that. I think at the end the day we just have to except that his mouth does not phrase things in the rehearsed way that most producers would. that does not mean he is doing collusion but it does make it very confusing to figure out.

I would say I looking at this in the middle of the night and think maybe we should just make a long-standing thread like we do for the podcast and other things just for complaints about the producer. we have had towards very specifically for specific things or how we think about him now but we might just want to have a long-standing thing just for anytime someone just gets something in their head that they just want to say about this producer since it just is going to leak into everything else we all are guilty of this and we just have to probably just make something.
Last edited by Game Girl on Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Game Girl wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:00 am granted in recent weeks I am starting to see why they had 2 hosts. I love Ken as a host I really do but he is starting to get to get grumpy.
That or perhaps Sony and the producers had different ideas on who should host. If Claire McNear's article is to be believed, apparently it was Michael Davies who got Ken in a hosting role.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Slight bump with Michael Davies breaking his silence on the Mayim firing:

https://tvline.com/news/mayim-bialik-je ... 3a6cf087b1

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Has Mayim been completely deleted from any official J! emails, websites photos, TV promotions during ad breaks, etc.? If Mayim was completely out I would think she and her people would cry foul on image use. Or through her contract she's still getting paid something through the end of Season 40?

If Mayim were to host Celeb J! Season 3 in prime time it would not faze me. Ken for all of the syndication episodes is the right move. Ken hosting Masters is clearly the only correct option.

Mayim hosting a pop culture version? Fine. Prime time students of some kind? Go ahead. Sports J!? No.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

The FJ uploads and whatnot on the Jeopardy Youtube channel continue to use the Ken and Mayim clip at the end, so not sure what the plan is on Celeb J! and such.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:49 pm Has Mayim been completely deleted from any official J! emails, websites photos, TV promotions during ad breaks, etc.?
Nope; when Inside Jeopardy! is promoted during breaks, the bumper still leads off with her walking to her lectern as Jeopardy! round dollar values are popped in, and there's a cut of she and Ken at the desk being interviewed. That bumper is the same as it has been all season, and possibly last one; heck, it still shows the logo of Stitcher, a podcatcher that was discontinued nearly six months ago.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I subscribe to a streaming service and record it off my local channel. When I go to the Jeopardy “page” it has a picture of the two of them standing back to back.