Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 am

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Anachronism »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:24 pm Do I remember it wrong that Mayim was hired as host to replace Richards ("the host of Jeopardy") and Ken was her fill-in when she was taping Kat ("hosting Jeopardy"), then the next season, Ken was elevated to full co-host? I thought this was confirmed on the podcast at some point.
When Richards stepped down as host (and was fired the following week), Sony announced that guest hosts would be used for the 2021-22 season. Mayim started the second day of taping as host and filmed about two months' worth. Ken took over, reportedly while Mayim was filming her sitcom, and they both had taping runs the rest of the season. There were slight differences in how they were introduced (which remained through last season), but neither was considered the full-time host.

There's never been clarity on this issue, and all we know now is that Mayim will no longer host the syndicated version. We can assume this means Ken will be introduced as the host (as Alex was) when they next tape, but that's only an assumption.
User avatar
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 2561
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am
Location: Mount Pearl, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Contact:

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I think it’s highly insulting to say that Michael Davies doesn’t love this show. I think he loves and cares about the show very much.

Just because you don’t agree with some of his changes doesn’t mean they’re automatically bad.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 am

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Anachronism »

AndyTheQuizzer wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:15 pm I think it’s highly insulting to say that Michael Davies doesn’t love this show. I think he loves and cares about the show very much.

Just because you don’t agree with some of his changes doesn’t mean they’re automatically bad.
What I wrote has nothing to do with whether he loves and cares about the show. It's a judgment based on his decisions. He is far too fond of change, and that suggests that he feels he's bigger than the brand.

Of course any assessment I make is only my judgment. As is any assessment you make, since you're not employed by Sony. Since you're a moderator here, you can ban any suggestion that Davies is anything less than perfect.

I've already accepted that my bucket list item of appearing on Jeopardy will never happen (I'm upfront that a big part of my dislike of Davies stems from feeling even my opportunity to interview has passed). So I'll understand if you feel I shouldn't be on this board if I express that dislike.
User avatar
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:01 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)
Contact:

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Trevor807 »

Anachronism wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:27 pm
AndyTheQuizzer wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:15 pm I think it’s highly insulting to say that Michael Davies doesn’t love this show. I think he loves and cares about the show very much.

Just because you don’t agree with some of his changes doesn’t mean they’re automatically bad.
What I wrote has nothing to do with whether he loves and cares about the show.
It was my comment he was referring to in that first sentence, since I accused Davo of not genuinely loving the show as he claimed (it was also a judgement based on his decisions).
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 5971
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by davey »

Anachronism wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:14 pm . We can assume this means Ken will be introduced as the host (as Alex was) when they next tape, but that's only an assumption.
Not such an assumption, since that's how he's introduced now...Unless they change it to "Great Savior of Jeopardy!..."
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 am

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Anachronism »

davey wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:45 pm
Anachronism wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:14 pm . We can assume this means Ken will be introduced as the host (as Alex was) when they next tape, but that's only an assumption.
Not such an assumption, since that's how he's introduced now...Unless they change it to "Great Savior of Jeopardy!..."
There was definitely a difference in Ken's introduction the last two seasons from how Alex was introduced. Did they change that this season (I haven't watched any of the tournaments, which means it's been a while for me)?
User avatar
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:01 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)
Contact:

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Trevor807 »

It's still "And now, here is the host of Jeopardy!, Ken Jennings". He's been introduced this way since season 39.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 am

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Anachronism »

Trevor807 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:30 pm
Anachronism wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:27 pm
AndyTheQuizzer wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:15 pm I think it’s highly insulting to say that Michael Davies doesn’t love this show. I think he loves and cares about the show very much.

Just because you don’t agree with some of his changes doesn’t mean they’re automatically bad.
What I wrote has nothing to do with whether he loves and cares about the show.
It was my comment he was referring to in that first sentence, since I accused Davo of not genuinely loving the show as he claimed (it was also a judgement based on his decisions).
"The more one judges, the less one loves." - Honore de Balzac.

In thinking about it, I would agree. And I don't think it's insulting at all - just part of that judgment. Davies judged the old format and found it wanting. Those of us who enjoyed that format judge Davies.
User avatar
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:01 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)
Contact:

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Trevor807 »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if he genuinely loved the show, he would have left things alone.

No split hosts in season 39 (just Ken), keeping the TOC format Alex created, no celebrity shows (or at least not putting the celebrity winner in the TOC), going back to in-person auditions and new graphics each season, and significantly less reliance on tournaments or gimmicks (I disagree with the rationale that this was meant to somehow "adapt" to a future transition from syndication to streaming for the reasoning Carpe Diem gave: streamers don't need more reality TV). Maybe Inside Jeopardy! and posting box scores could still happen, but aside from that, that's it.

Alas, it was not meant to be.

Okay, back to Mayim discourse, for real this time.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 6526
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by This Is Kirk! »

When new leaders come in they usually want to put their own mark on things. I'm not going to begrudge Davies for that even though I haven't been a fan of most of the changes. I still watch and enjoy the show in general.
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:30 am

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by DCFan1911 »

Trevor807 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:26 pm No split hosts in season 39 (just Ken), keeping the TOC format Alex created, no celebrity shows (or at least not putting the celebrity winner in the TOC), going back to in-person auditions and new graphics each season, and significantly less reliance on tournaments or gimmicks (I disagree with the rationale that this was meant to somehow "adapt" to a future transition from syndication to streaming for the reasoning Carpe Diem gave: streamers don't need more reality TV). Maybe Inside Jeopardy! and posting box scores could still happen, but aside from that, that's it.
I agree there have been too many changes and some of them are bad - i.e., the winner of the Celebrity Tournament has no business taking up a spot in the Tournament of Champions. Still, not all of what you describe is his fault or doing. The split hosts for S39 was the result of a situation he inherited from Michael Richards. It was a messy scenario that was caused by Richards basically selecting himself as host - thus angering a lot of fans and leading to some of his...politically incorrect comments/behavior coming to light. At that point he already had Mayim under contract, as she'd been chosen to host the primetime specials, but because of her sitcom she was not available to host the daily version full-time. That's how we wound up with this unusual situation for the past two seasons. Could Davies have handled this in a better way? Sure, but it wasn't all his fault either. Michael Richards left something of a mess and Davies had to clean it up.
User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 6526
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DCFan1911 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:59 am I agree there have been too many changes and some of them are bad - i.e., the winner of the Celebrity Tournament has no business taking up a spot in the Tournament of Champions.
Seriously? I didn't realize they were actually doing this. The ToC has truly been dumbed down...
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:30 am

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by DCFan1911 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:24 pm
DCFan1911 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:59 am I agree there have been too many changes and some of them are bad - i.e., the winner of the Celebrity Tournament has no business taking up a spot in the Tournament of Champions.
Seriously? I didn't realize they were actually doing this. The ToC has truly been dumbed down...
Unfortunately yes - https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ike ... 0the%20TOC
User avatar
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:01 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)
Contact:

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Trevor807 »

There's a reason why Celebrity winners weren't invited to the TOC under Friedman. What was Davies' thinking here?
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 am

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Anachronism »

Trevor807 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:39 pm There's a reason why Celebrity winners weren't invited to the TOC under Friedman. What was Davies' thinking here?
Either fun through humiliation, or you have to wonder if he's planning a Charles Van Doren moment. Despite protestations to the contrary, the celebrity boards are closer to the SNL parody version than real boards.

Sure, Davies inherited the guest host mess. But instead of providing clarity in the aftermath, he let it drag out far longer than it should have. He could have put his mark on the show with a new Blade-Runner-inspired set design or Press-Your-Luck demon-style animations for DD reveals. Instead, he's trying to cultivate selected second-chancers into Kitty Carlisle, abandoning the one concept that makes game shows appealing in the first place.
User avatar
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:01 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)
Contact:

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Trevor807 »

Anachronism wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:35 pm
Trevor807 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:39 pm There's a reason why Celebrity winners weren't invited to the TOC under Friedman. What was Davies' thinking here?
Either fun through humiliation, or you have to wonder if he's planning a Charles Van Doren moment. Despite protestations to the contrary, the celebrity boards are closer to the SNL parody version than real boards.

Sure, Davies inherited the guest host mess. But instead of providing clarity in the aftermath, he let it drag out far longer than it should have. He could have put his mark on the show with a new Blade-Runner-inspired set design or Press-Your-Luck demon-style animations for DD reveals. Instead, he's trying to cultivate selected second-chancers into Kitty Carlisle, abandoning the one concept that makes game shows appealing in the first place.
Technically they're whammies, not demons. And what do you mean by "Charles Van Doren moment"?

As for that last paragraph, I agree: it's especially sad given how long he's been a game show producer for. But he failed to learn anything from his time on Millionaire, or any other game show for that matter. And experience doesn't necessarily equal competence, as we've seen with far too many people historically (*cough* Brian France). Maybe he can earn back some of my respect by retiring from game shows and focusing on his sports stuff.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
User avatar
squarekara
J! Reactionary
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: USDA Zone 5

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by squarekara »

Anachronism wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:35 pm Instead, he's trying to cultivate selected second-chancers into Kitty Carlisle . . .
:lol:
User avatar
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 2561
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am
Location: Mount Pearl, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Contact:

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Anachronism wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:35 pm
Trevor807 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:39 pm There's a reason why Celebrity winners weren't invited to the TOC under Friedman. What was Davies' thinking here?
Either fun through humiliation, or you have to wonder if he's planning a Charles Van Doren moment.
I wasn't talking to you the last time I ventured into this thread, but I certainly am now.

Do you honestly believe that anyone in the game show business—regardless of what show it is—would actually risk their career on such a maneuver?

If you actually and honestly believe that, I think you might need to take a break from watching the show for awhile, because it's certainly not been healthy for you.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
User avatar
mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:08 pm
Location: Royersford, PA
Contact:

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by mfc248 »

Trevor807 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:44 pm Technically they're whammies, not demons. And what do you mean by "Charles Van Doren moment"?
To specifically address this: the reference is to the classic quiz show Twenty-One; Charles Van Doren was one of the contestants, the movie Quiz Show and all. From that scandal, the "answer in the form of a question" format of Jeopardy! came. I take "Charles Van Doren moment" to mean that Davies would somehow rig the show, which would violate Federal law (specifically 47 U.S. Code §509).
User avatar
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:01 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)
Contact:

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by Trevor807 »

I knew that already; I was somehow hoping Anachronism wasn't implying Davies would be stupid enough to actually resort to rigging. As stupid as Davies can be, even I admit he wouldn't be that stupid.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Post Reply