Fun with Fox's "The Floor"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Fun with Fox's "The Floor"

Post by Bamaman »

Game Girl…There are no “points”. Each duel begins with each player having 45 seconds on their clock. The challenger goes first. An image is on the screen and they try to identify it while their clock counts down. Once they get it right, their clock stops and the other person’s clock starts with an image on the screen. When one player hits zero, they are out.

Each of the 81 players began with a category. (Wasn’t really explained how they were assigned). The first player was picked by a randomizer and they had to pick an opponent with an adjoining block. They played the challenged player’s category. If the challenged player wins, they take over the other player’s category and can either return to the floor or challenge one of their neighbors. If they go back to the floor, the randomizer picks someone else. It only picks someone if they haven’t played yet.

So each category is only played once and it is dead. Whoever has the most squares at the end of each episode wins $20,000. In the event of a tie, it is split.

Last player standing gets $250,000.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

This show is total garbage. They had a category "the Simpsons" but all it was was showing pictures of celebrities who had guest starred. No knowledge of the show required. Wth
Game Girl
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Game Girl »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:55 pm Game Girl…There are no “points”. Each duel begins with each player having 45 seconds on their clock. The challenger goes first. An image is on the screen and they try to identify it while their clock counts down. Once they get it right, their clock stops and the other person’s clock starts with an image on the screen. When one player hits zero, they are out.

Each of the 81 players began with a category. (Wasn’t really explained how they were assigned). The first player was picked by a randomizer and they had to pick an opponent with an adjoining block. They played the challenged player’s category. If the challenged player wins, they take over the other player’s category and can either return to the floor or challenge one of their neighbors. If they go back to the floor, the randomizer picks someone else. It only picks someone if they haven’t played yet.

So each category is only played once and it is dead. Whoever has the most squares at the end of each episode wins $20,000. In the event of a tie, it is split.

Last player standing gets $250,000.
thank you for explaining it to me it makes a lot more sense now.

about episode 5 I think the timer was broken, I know this is via stuff getting delayed and misstimed. The in the end of the Celebrity round the moment he just shake and said congratulations before the buzzer was amazing. he got messenger before the sound not that it would saved him from the next pass even if they did count it. putting Puss in boots not in his hat for his photo was really not fair.
Woppy T wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:28 pm This show is total garbage. They had a category "the Simpsons" but all it was was showing pictures of celebrities who had guest starred. No knowledge of the show required. Wth
that category was definitely weird, if it was not Fox I would say it was a rights thing. it could still possibly be since I heard in the some of the previous comments it was also shown on global (known for Big Brother Canada and a station that got permission for showing young in the restless episodes a day earlier, seriously) meaning it could possibly be a rights issue for that station. (maybe they missed calculated when they made the show thinking it was going to be a fox only thing, hence why the category was there in the first place) of course this is just complete speculation.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woppy T wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:28 pm This show is total garbage. They had a category "the Simpsons" but all it was was showing pictures of celebrities who had guest starred. No knowledge of the show required. Wth
Whoever had it to begin with was long gone but I bet they’d have been ticked off. You could have seen every single episode ten times and have no advantage over someone who has never seen it. I think that guy knew he was dead walking up there (not a pop culture guy) but he probably did better than he expected.

If it is a rights issue just don’t have the category. But they have shown plenty of other cartoon characters so who knows.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

EPISODE 5
Spoiler
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

The person with "one hit wonders" is in a great spot as long as the person surrounding them has a category that is liked. Thing is, that category surrounding them is going to keep changing.

Its is very unlikely that "one hit wonders" is going to get challenged. Kid's books currently has 15 items to challenge and can pick only one. So if you are one hit wonders about the only way you are playing is if you get hit with the randomizer.

One hit wonders could easily be in this thing to almost the very end, by just sitting there for seven or eight shows.

IMHO, The keys to winning this show.

1. Get a piece of the floor near the edge.
2. Get lucky enough that the person inside of you, wins and starts to get a large portion of the floor. People will go after them to get the 20K, but never after you.
3. Never getting hit with the radomizer, till late in the game, win that challenge and you have a huge piece of the floor and still have your category.
4. Be decent at trivia, but that comes pretty far down on the list.

Actually, the big key to winning is not having to play a round either randomized or challenged until the game is almost over. This show is OK to watch, but to play in it. Its almost a pure luck show for whoever wins. Its not like the winner is going to win a bunch of challenges. Tom and Steve based on the previous shows made it pretty clear that there were two of the better trivia players in the field, and they are both gone.
2GD2DBLJ
Contributor

Post by 2GD2DBLJ »

With 81 players, it's pretty clear that it's going to be somewhat of a crapshoot. There is some strategic aspect to it -- namely: sitting down and not being too blinded by the prospect of $20k. No matter how good you are at trivia, the number of matches you play significantly decreases your chances of staying in. A player that is 75% to win any given match rates to not survive after playing three matches.

Not a traditional spoiler, but some speculation based on edit:
Spoiler
It certainly feels like Jaquelyn (NW corner) or Jasper ($20k in first episode) is getting something of a "winner's edit". Both have been given cut-away interviews stressing the importance of laying low. I would guess that if the eventual winner hasn't played a duel yet, we've probably been introduced to them by way of a cut-away interview already.
ETA: I second that the "The Simpsons" category was garbage.
Ian Terry
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I recall hearing the Simpsons category get referred to as "Simpsons guest stars" in an earlier episode, so I wasn't totally surprised to see the category be what it was.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:24 pm I recall hearing the Simpsons category get referred to as "Simpsons guest stars" in an earlier episode, so I wasn't totally surprised to see the category be what it was.
I remember Rob saying "Celebrities on the Simpsons." But I thought he was going to show celebrities making cameos in The Simpsons. Instead, it was just another recognize the celebrity round. If I was a massive Simpsons fan, I would have destroyed my TV.
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Being able to recognize celebrities is a big part of this game.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:34 pm Being able to recognize celebrities is a big part of this game.
Yeah, and specifically, like, red carpet pictures of celebrities that they have the rights to. I would have recognized Kristen Wiig in the context of SNL, but I was lost on the dolled-up, generic celebrity photo they showed. I have this problem with J! celeb clues that show a picture, but at least there I get a clue about them also.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I’m not a pop culture guy, but the over-reliance on the picture ID category is ridiculous. It looks like there will be several more to come. I wonder if the athletes category will have them in uniform or street clothes.

The one hit wonders person has no choice who to challenge if they are picked. It will be interesting to see if one hit becomes the huge spot if people will leave it alone or get greedy.

I agree about the keys to victory above, but most of them are beyond your control.

The person in the SE corner is really in great shape.

1. They are in a corner.
2. A category (political candidates) people on a show like this will avoid like the plague.
3. Their neighbor is US States. That doesn’t sound too hard. I’m guessing it will be showing outlines on a map. Just challenge them and sit there and hope the person who has Drinks gets greedy when they are picked.

I predict the final match will be 80 squares vs 1.
Game Girl
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Game Girl »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:34 pm Being able to recognize celebrities is a big part of this game.
Yeah, and specifically, like, red carpet pictures of celebrities that they have the rights to. I would have recognized Kristen Wiig in the context of SNL, but I was lost on the dolled-up, generic celebrity photo they showed. I have this problem with J! celeb clues that show a picture, but at least there I get a clue about them also.
yeah my mother even says (in the one episode I watched with her) she had trouble and that they chose terrible photos for The show as a total. and she is way better identifying stuff than I am.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

The situation of contestants and their given categories explained.
Attachments
IMG_5838.jpeg
IMG_5838.jpeg (169.25 KiB) Viewed 613 times
Douglas Squasoni
Golf

Post by Golf »

Watched the last half of the show tonight and took major umbrage with the picture of Venus in the Space category. They showed a majorly color enhanced photo that seems to be all over the internet where the planet looks like the volcanic planet Mustafar from Revenge of the Sith. The owner of the category naturally said Mercury and Mars(I think) before passing in amazement. Total crap, just grabbing some random picture from the internet that looks nothing like the true image.

Of course if playing properly in this case after Mars and Mercury get nixed just rattle off the other 6 planets(could get away with 3 throwing out Jupiter, Saturn and Earth in theory) in 1 second rather than wasting the 3 seconds passing.
2GD2DBLJ
Contributor

Post by 2GD2DBLJ »

Golf wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:09 pm Watched the last half of the show tonight and took major umbrage with the picture of Venus in the Space category. They showed a majorly color enhanced photo that seems to be all over the internet where the planet looks like the volcanic planet Mustafar from Revenge of the Sith. The owner of the category naturally said Mercury and Mars(I think) before passing in amazement. Total crap, just grabbing some random picture from the internet that looks nothing like the true image.

Of course if playing properly in this case after Mars and Mercury get nixed just rattle off the other 6 planets(could get away with 3 throwing out Jupiter, Saturn and Earth in theory) in 1 second rather than wasting the 3 seconds passing.
He seemed so flustered at that point that he missed the gimme Neptune immediately after.
Ian Terry
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was surprised the older guy did so poorly in political candidates. Smart move by the woman who beat him sitting there with US States in her pocket.

Worst play of the night was by Jasper. He fends off a challenge and then decides to challenge nepo babies? If he fears getting stuck with hip hop and decides he can’t win the final prize he might as well challenge Steph and go for the $20,000.

Another odd move was Joey staying on the floor after she had claimed the biggest spot with one match left. If she goes back and someone challenges her it’s at least her category.

Best part is we only had one true “name the celebrity” category with nepo babies. Politicians and rock stars did have pictures of people but those are a little different.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

EPISODE 6
Spoiler
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I like the position the U.S. States contestant is in right now. The randomizer can't select her now that she's played, and she's not accessible to anyone it does select. It wouldn't surprise me if she manages to lie low until the finale (I say this having completely forgotten the lay of the land in the future episode I accidentally caught online).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:50 pm I like the position the U.S. States contestant is in right now. The randomizer can't select her now that she's played, and she's not accessible to anyone it does select. It wouldn't surprise me if she manages to lie low until the finale (I say this having completely forgotten the lay of the land in the future episode I accidentally caught online).
When the one hit wonders guy gets picked he has no choice but to challenge whoever owns the big spot. Whoever wins that could then go after her although they would have many other options including the other really huge space.