Fun with Fox's "The Floor"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fun with Fox's "The Floor"

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here are two images from ep. 2 that fill in the current grid for areas owned and a good hunk of categories in the SE. Using the earlier photo gives a pretty good idea of categories.
Spoiler

Someone with too much time on their hands and the right Excel skill could make a nice color-coated spreadsheet probably. Ask on the Reddit thread for the show and perhaps there could be a taker?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

EPISODE 1
Spoiler
EPISODE 2
Spoiler
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Great job on the grid and thanks for sharing.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

teapot gunning for the Poster of the Year award.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Well done indeed!!! Nice touch adding the defunct categories. Thank you.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

I have to think weirdly enough pixie hollow for knowing pill bug apparently they called a Roley Poli. (I heard of the nickname before for the pill bug but I am kind of shocked that they used it officially) in terms of sci-fi that was not good Photo for Megatron, I would have chosen one of the cartoon ones.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:29 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:05 am I’m guessing they came up with a list of categories and had you pick one. I agree having a category that is “out there” would work better than one that is mainstream like pop music. I see a guy that appears to be bald has “Famous hair” for his. That should be good for a few laughs when it’s his turn.
100% agree. Guy who had Famous Slogans as his subject didn't know Eat Fresh == Subway, and the guy who had Famous Books as his subject didn't know Grapes of Wrath.
I have a feeling in terms of the book category that he specializes in recent releases but I know what you mean a lot of these people seem to really not be that much of an expert as I said above.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:32 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:51 am ...
Someone said they studied categories “last night”. So has the whole season already been done and they did one show a day?

Mark, do you have an updated picture of the floor after the second episode with the remaining players and categories?
The recording is still on the DVR and later this afternoon I can see if I can find a decent shot of the floor.

Toys and cereal? Yes, please, although that Muselix would have been an insta-pass.

Only one episode taped in a day? That first show must have been a technical nightmare. I would think 3-a-day more likely/typical?
I was wondering that too in the way of how is that practical rather than if they are telling the truth. I am not sure if they are making up the last night like many shows that say come back with us tomorrow or if last night means a short break between taping. (like the 15 minute changing room break in jeopardy) granted it sounded like the way the story was set up that it really was overnight. The biggest mystery here is if all the episodes will be like this and that is part of the format or if they just did the first episode like this for possible set up reasons. (maybe they were still making that set or setting up the set for the game and that is why there was only one game that day) but if they really are doing one game a day that is really strange since most game shows try to do like five and will definitely add to the cost.

I love the toy category and there was a scene that was so fast because they did such a good job
I cannot even see two of the answers in one area.

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:05 pm
Only one episode taped in a day? That first show must have been a technical nightmare. I would think 3-a-day more likely/typical?
Getting everyone to their spot probably took forever.
I have a feeling the first few times would be somewhat difficult but depending on if they add affects before or after and I think the board is a screen (or possibly light LED , which is basically a big Square lightbulb like on a dancefloor) you tell people to stand on their categories and you going to assume that the people are going to remember the one what category they are in. probably 5 to 10 minutes after rehearsals that would probably take longer to teach people how to walk and look properly on the screen.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:51 amThe format wasn’t too complicated. One drawback is that if the randomizer picks you then you play the category of whoever you challenge and if you win you inherit that category.
That's not correct. If you win as the challenger, you keep your own category. You could then return to the board to force someone to challenge you (eventually) in your own category. Each category will be played at most once. I believe 80 of the 81 categories will eventually be played. --Bob
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

#3 - What an episode!

Contestant: I don't watch TV.
Rob was as nice and diplomatic as he could be while he was probably thinking, "[expletive], get off my stage."
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

I think they went to mainstream with the Broadway one for the experts to guess. I am kind of shocked they did not get hey Arnold. that was not a good for you for Vanna White. The only thing that made a recognisable was the wheel of fortune but it does not look like her currently or when she first began on the show is is some phase in the middle.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:31 am #3 - What an episode!

Contestant: I don't watch TV.
Rob was as nice and diplomatic as he could be while he was probably thinking, "[expletive], get off my stage."
about the guy that does not watch TV. (even though I have known people who watch no TV I think in the context it was given it meant I am not an expert in TV millionaires) anyway I do not think he meant it that way I think he meant it that way. It was slight play on a joke on celebrities saying they like to not be harassed and not recognized. but I did laugh at it also.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

EPISODE 3
Spoiler
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

While I find the show mildly interesting, it's tough for me to look past a factual error in a clue in only the third episode. The category was "Oscar-Winning Actors," or something very close to that phrasing. Shown a series of photographs, the contestants were asked to identify performers who had, in Rob Lowe's words, "won an Academy Award for Best Actor or Actress." (I rewound to check this.)
Spoiler
One of the first few performers shown was Whoopi Goldberg, who has NOT won an Oscar in the Best Actress category. She won the Best SUPPORTING Actress award for her role as Oda Mae Brown in 1990's Ghost.

As it turned out, the contestant was able to identify her, and the error did not appear to affect the outcome of the contest. However, had I been playing in that round, the misleading clue would likely have thrown me off rhythm. In fact, if I were a contestant standing by on one or more of those squares, I would immediately begin to doubt the trustworthiness of all future clues.
Just as an aside, the round would have been more interesting if each photo had shown the performer in his or her Oscar-winning role. As it was, a couple of them were almost unrecognizable in the selected images.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Finally saw all three episodes. To win will require a some luck. Here is the issue, say you are horrible on fashion. Someone who has fashion challenges you. You are hosed.

You win, you can't get rid of fashion. You can start to challenge anybody you want. To get rid of fashion, you have to lose. You win, fashion is still your category. Finally, someone challenges you. They ain't coming after you because they hate fashion, and you can't get rid of it unless you beat someone with it.

You could be the best general trivia player on that board by a wide margin, but you are going to have a weakness somewhere and that category could easily get dumped on you.

You win two challenges in a row, they should let you make a trade with the board, better yet, let people on the board have the option to trade with you and they get 5k or 10k if you pick them. That way they get a topic they still want, you get a topic you like better and more people get some money.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Jan. 23rd ep.

Some great duels and tense moments.

I like to imagine a montage of viewers reacting to the misses of the defunct music player and the miss that concluded the night.

Territories are getting more interesting by the week.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:20 am The Jan. 23rd ep.

Some great duels and tense moments.

I like to imagine a montage of viewers reacting to the misses of the defunct music player and the miss that concluded the night.

Territories are getting more interesting by the week.
now that is something I would love to see. I mean I have imagined portion of the trailer to 2 different songs (not at the same time or the same video just two different montages) without even putting it in the editing software. even though I do not expect either those songs I think would work to be used (for rights issues, they probably want to use 'in house') I would love to see what they could do in a montage themselves.
Last edited by Game Girl on Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

about episode 4, The junk drawer category was amazingly played. I think for the technology when they should put less people. I came from a cassette house (The round hole of plastic I can just feel them from my memory) and it was the one I am pretty sure my school used too. (if it was a 8 track it was a portable style one for phonics tapes in which we took turns in group tables) along with the big headphones. Sports equipment was also a very interesting one to watch. The finale worked really well.

Anyhow does anyone actually know how these points work I than that they beat each other. I still enjoy watching it but I still cannot figure out that I think if they make another season they should just make the points one for each correct answer so we can easily count.
Sherm wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:21 pm Finally saw all three episodes. To win will require a some luck. Here is the issue, say you are horrible on fashion. Someone who has fashion challenges you. You are hosed.

You win, you can't get rid of fashion. You can start to challenge anybody you want. To get rid of fashion, you have to lose. You win, fashion is still your category. Finally, someone challenges you. They ain't coming after you because they hate fashion, and you can't get rid of it unless you beat someone with it.

You could be the best general trivia player on that board by a wide margin, but you are going to have a weakness somewhere and that category could easily get dumped on you.

You win two challenges in a row, they should let you make a trade with the board, better yet, let people on the board have the option to trade with you and they get 5k or 10k if you pick them. That way they get a topic they still want, you get a topic you like better and more people get some money.
I did find the fact that people have to give and change the category really weird, definitely since it seems to be winners that do it. It does make some interesting dynamics but it kind of makes you feel weird about the winning. I feel categories and stuff about categories even though I might be wrong I would think that they thought it the least. anyway I see some half hour foreign versions floating around (The one I am referring to he was the one that has a lightning affect) and maybe this whole category things makes a lot more sense in a half hour possibly syndicated format then in a 1 hour once a week format.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

EPISODE 4
Spoiler
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I discovered last week, when I got tired of waiting for the latest episode to show up on demand on our cable, that fox.com had it available for streaming, so that was my first resort this morning. But I found myself confused, what with the episode seemingly not picking up where last week's left off. I watched the whole thing anyway, and now the Fox site is back to having only the first three episodes; it seems they accidentally put up (then removed) a future show, apparently the season's penultimate episode.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

So apparently, the Global channel in Canada aired the wrong episode. Instead of 4 they aired 7. So looks like Canadians have been spoiled a bit.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Evidently, Hulu initially f***ed up as well and had episode 8 instead? What is going on?!?!
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I just watched the regular episode (#4) on Hulu.